[comp.sys.cbm] Kermit

neil@watdcsu.UUCP (01/12/87)

I am experiencing some difficulty with
kermit 1.7 and parity.  Even parity and a
seven bit word allows communication but
produces a partial, illegible display.
This is true with modem dialogue and
host communication.  Other programs do
not fail with these settings leading me
to believe parity is not handled correctly
with kermit 1.7  Hav others experienced this?
Solutions?

The other kermit, 1.5, seems incomplete.
Following is the last 78 nybbles:
4D49542D4336343E20DA180B0D49727D3FAD0BC60BC5371814F535220B0C004972C60BC5371038
The last 2 bytes is the instruction
    BPL 743A
at address 7400.  Can anyone who has a
more complete version of 1.5 complete
these data?
.../neil patterson
University of Waterloo

nu020520@ndsuvm1.bitnet.UUCP (04/30/87)

Has anyone have the new kermit version 2.0???
I have tried to download it from kermsrv@cuvma, but it takes up 91
blocks on my cms logon.  That is much too long, it requires more storage than
one 1541 disk drive can handle.  Do I have the wrong program?
The one I have been trying to download is c64v2 m65.  Also if anyone has
succesfully downloaded it, what assembler did you use.  I don't recognize
the format that its in.

                 Please Send E-mail to NU020520 at NDSUVM1

                    Thank You in advance!

gvogel@wsccs.UUCP (George Vogel) (03/01/88)

	I am looking for a public domain version of KERMIT for the C64
or C128.  If anyone knows of a good one, please send me E-mail.  I am
trying to download files from our VAX, and xmodem doesn't seem to work
too well.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

--
   _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/            NET:!ihun4!utah-cs!utah-g4!uplherc!
  _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ /               sp7040!obie!wsccs!gvogel

kpratte@hawk.ulowell.edu (Ken Pratte) (03/04/88)

In article <228@wsccs.UUCP> gvogel@wsccs.UUCP (George Vogel) writes:

>	I am looking for a public domain version of KERMIT for the C64
>or C128.  If anyone knows of a good one, please send me E-mail.  I am
>trying to download files from our VAX, and xmodem doesn't seem to work
>too well.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>Thanks
>
>--
>   _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/            NET:!ihun4!utah-cs!utah-g4!uplherc!
>  _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ /               sp7040!obie!wsccs!gvogel
> _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/      "If a man is in a minority of one we lock
> _/_/ __________/ _/_/          him up."     Oliver Wendell Holmes

     I have a copy of a public domain Kermit that I consider very good. There
is only one hangup, when uploading/downloading it uses true ascii and when
you put it on the disk drive it is still true ascii, so that you must convert
the text files, once that is done everything is ok. I resolved that by writing
my own sequential file convertor. If you give me your address I could make you
a copy of Kermit and toss in the convertor and some extra kermit docs that I
have hanging around that would help you.
P.S. It is for the 64.

                                         Ken Pratte
                                         Universtiy of Lowell, MA
                                         CS Dept.

ray@j.cc.purdue.edu (Ray Moody) (03/05/88)

Expires:

In article <228@wsccs.UUCP> gvogel@wsccs.UUCP (George Vogel) writes:
>	I am looking for a public domain version of KERMIT for the C64
>or C128.

    Hi!  I am Ray Moody.  I support Commodore Kermit version 2.0.

    Kermit 2.0 is in the public domain, and may be obtained from:

			Dr. Evil Laboratories
			P.O. Box 190
			St. Paul, IN 47272

    Please send $5.00 (U.S.) to cover the cost of the disk and postage and
handling.  The program itself is free.

    Kermit is also available on the arpanet, on bitnet, and on many bulletin
boards.

    Note that version 2.1 will be available "real soon now".

In article <5230@swan.ulowell.edu> kpratte@hawk.ulowell.edu (Ken Pratte) writes:
>     I have a copy of a public domain Kermit that I consider very good. There
>is only one hangup, when uploading/downloading it uses true ascii and when
>you put it on the disk drive it is still true ascii.

    Try "set file-type petasci".

    Other supported file-types are binary and script (for the speedscript
wordprocessor).  Version 2.1 should include support for a c-power

gandalf@spock.UUCP (Mark Halstead) (04/24/88)

Does anyone know if kermit 2.0 will work with a 1660 (300 baud commodore) modem?
I have tried but the 1660 needs to be taken off hook first, and kermit doesn't do it. I really need a good vt100, preferably with kermit. Which this one has. So any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

thanx

mnelson@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Nelson) (04/28/88)

Did I read somewhere that Kermit 2.1 was available on Quantum Link?
If not, could it be?

Mike Nelson
ihnp4!ihlpg!mnelson
AT&T Bell Labs

bjh@mtgzz.UUCP (XMRN40000[tls]-b.j.hudson) (04/29/88)

Kermit 2.1 binary and documentation is available on Quantum Link.
I down-loaded it last night.  It took 20 minutes of "plus-time".
(For New Jersey locals, it will be in the GSCUG library.)      ....BJ

TRM900@PSUVM.BITNET (Tony R. Marasco) (11/24/88)

  I have been having problems with the Kermit for my TRS Model IV
  recently, and shrugged it off as a bad copy of Kermit.  Now, I
  have Kermit for the C=64 and that is giving me the same problem:

  Kermit will NOT acknowledge the "checksum" from the mainframe.

  If I want to send or receive anything, I have to hit return after
every packet.  That is quite annoying with small files, and I don't
  want to go through this in the near future when my files get larger.
  Any suggestions?  Is there some setting that I missed on the
  Kermit.ini file??  Any help is greatly appreciated.
-------
| Tony Marasco                 |  UUCP: psuvax1!psuvm!trm900              |
| Penn State University        |  BITNET: trm900@psuvm.BITNET             |
| Schuylkill Haven Highway     |                   - or -                 |
| Schuylkill Haven, PA 17976   |  trm900%psuvm.psu.edu@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU    |
| "Questions are a burden for others.  Answers are a prison for oneself." |
|       -- The Prisoner                                                   |

sayah_k@unicom.UUCP (Kianusch Sayah-Karadji) (05/04/89)

Well, I'm trying and trying, but...

How on earth do I get Graphics on my screen...
When I cat a graphics-file (from Unix), the only thing I get to see
is a bunch of Characters...

HELP!!!

					:-) Greetings Kianusch

jtl@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joe Lynn) (08/23/89)

I am not at a site that has FTP capabilities, and my local BBSs are
of no help, so...

If anyone has a copy of the latest Kermit software (discussed here recently,
80 columns, 'normal' terminal emulation), I'd like to request
a copy.  I am willing to reimburse for media, postage, and trouble,
if necessary.  Please forward e-mail to this address.

				Thanks in advance,

				Joe Lynn

pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (08/24/89)

In article <1386@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> jtl@jolnet.orpk.il.us.orpk.il.us (Joe Lynn) writes:

>I am not at a site that has FTP capabilities, and my local BBSs are
>of no help, so...
>
>If anyone has a copy of the latest Kermit software (discussed here recently,
>80 columns, 'normal' terminal emulation), I'd like to request
>a copy.  I am willing to reimburse for media, postage, and trouble,
>if necessary.  Please forward e-mail to this address.
>

>				Thanks in advance,
>
>				Joe Lynn

Or, you can order from the official C64KERMIT distribution center:

                     Dr. Evil Laboratories
                     P.O. Box 3432
                     Redmond, WA 98073-3432

There is a small charge for postage and handling only.  The diskette
will also include the doc. in petascii format readable by many
C64 wordprocessor.

PS.  The name of the distribution center is for real !  I have no
     business connection with it.

Happy KERMITting !!!

Patrick
pcw@squid.tn.cornell.edu

scott@max.acs.washington.edu (08/25/89)

In article <8692@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) writes:
> In article <1386@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> jtl@jolnet.orpk.il.us.orpk.il.us (Joe Lynn) writes:
>>
>>I am not at a site that has FTP capabilities, and my local BBSs are
>>of no help, so...
>>
>>If anyone has a copy of the latest Kermit software (discussed here recently,
>>80 columns, 'normal' terminal emulation), I'd like to request
>>a copy.  I am willing to reimburse for media, postage, and trouble,
>>if necessary.  Please forward e-mail to this address.
>>

>>                              Thanks in advance,
>>
>>                              Joe Lynn
>
> Or, you can order from the official C64KERMIT distribution center:
>
>                      Dr. Evil Laboratories
>                      P.O. Box 3432
>                      Redmond, WA 98073-3432
>
> There is a small charge for postage and handling only.  The diskette
> will also include the doc. in petascii format readable by many
> C64 wordprocessor.
>
> PS.  The name of the distribution center is for real !  I have no
>      business connection with it.
>
> Happy KERMITting !!!
>
> Patrick
> pcw@squid.tn.cornell.edu

This is funny, the address that is listed on the documentation for
Kermit 2.2 is somewhat different. It is:

                       Dr. Evil Laboratories
                       P.O. Box 190
                       St. Paul, IN 47272

May Ray Moody (one of the co-authors of Kermit and who regularly
access this newsgroup) could clarify the matter......may be both
addresses are valid ones.

Scott.

cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) (10/12/89)

First of all, thanks to all who sent info on the 1670 & included software.

Now, if someone could mail me the address and phone, if any, to order
Kermit, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.          "Entropy isn't what it used to be."
JHC@Crnlvax5.BITNET            --c/o Fortune @ batcomputer.UUCP

steyaert@egrunix.UUCP (Terry Steyaert) (10/13/89)

In article <9041@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) writes:
>Now, if someone could mail me the address and phone, if any, to order
>Kermit, I would be most appreciative.

In actuality, there is no phone number that you can order Kermit
through.  Kermit is a public domain program that is available
from several anonymous FTP sites, through several BBS's (I know
I have it on my BBS, and have seen it on other BBS's local to me.)
I have also heard that Kermit is available on Q-Link also.  I
got mine through a user uploading it to my board.  (Like the gentleman
going through the Mac, UUencoded files (actually the binary) files
didn't go through the THREE computers I tried copying through.  I
interemed in an IBM and an Epson PX-10 portable before getting it to
the Commodore.

All in all, my suggestion for getting kermit would be to:
   1. Check your local BBS's, and ASK.  I asked, and one
         of my users found.  Ask, and your local SysOp, or
         another user may have a copy hidden away.
   2. Check Q-Link, if you are on it.
   3. You can call my BBS.  If you send me mail with a
         password and a handle, I will set up an account
         and give you enough credits to DL the program.
         (The phone bill will be your problem though!)

All in all, I don't see why number 1 won't work.  Most C64 users
I have found are realy helpful in getting software.  Also, if you don't
have an account, usually another user on a local BBS does and will
call and download the program for you.  Basically, 3 is a very
last resort.

Terry Steyaert    (steyaert@unix.secs.oakland.edu)
    aka
The Guard            of The Software Pool (313)463-8777, 25 Megs on-line.
                     (Sorry, not close enough to Detroit for PCP.)

akcs.paranoid@nstar.UUCP (paranoid) (02/26/90)

Is there a VT100 (Or any VTxx) terminal emulator with Kermit for the
Commodore 64?

Thanks..

slogan@ms.uky.edu (Stan Logan) (02/26/90)

In article <25e81b06:215comp.sys.cbm@nstar.UUCP> akcs.paranoid@nstar.UUCP (paranoid) writes:

>Is there a VT100 (Or any VTxx) terminal emulator with Kermit for the
>Commodore 64?
>
>Thanks..

Yes, Kermit has a VT100/VT102 emulator built right into the program. To use
this, type set term vt100 at the Kermit prompt.  Use the termcap included
somewhere earlier in this newsgroup.

Stan

lockemer@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (09/24/90)

Does anyone out there know if there is a reliable version of Kermit for the
128?  I got a version from Dr. Evil Labs through the mail, but I get all kinds
of garbage on the screen when I use it, and this also makes file transfering
useless. I use it at 1200 baud and I am sure I have the parity etc. set
properly.  Has anyone else experienced this behavior, or did I get a bum copy?
The only other thing I thought is that I have an older 128, and maybe kermit
has problems with the older ones (I got it soon after they hit the market). Any
help will be appreciated.

Todd Lockemer

kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent SULLIVAN) (09/29/90)

In article <1082.26fde34e@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com>, lockemer@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>Does anyone out there know if there is a reliable version of Kermit for the
>128?  I got a version from Dr. Evil Labs through the mail, but I get all kinds
>of garbage on the screen when I use it, and this also makes file transfering
>useless. I use it at 1200 baud and I am sure I have the parity etc. set
>properly.  Has anyone else experienced this behavior, or did I get a bum copy?
>The only other thing I thought is that I have an older 128, and maybe kermit
>has problems with the older ones (I got it soon after they hit the market). Any
>help will be appreciated.
>
>Todd Lockemer

Hi Todd--

I sent you the copy of Kermit (Dr. Evil is my alter ego ;-).  I'm quite
surprised that you are having problems, especially at 1200 bps.  Can you
provide more detail as to your hardware configuration and what system(s) you
are communicating with?

If you had gotten a "bum copy", it shouldn't work at all, not just screw up
in Connect mode.

Also, we are not aware of any incompatibilities with older C-128s.  The only
hardware trouble we have seen is when a 1351 mouse (or similar device) is
plugged in--the keyboard often gets weird.

Kent Sullivan
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer.

lockemer@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (10/01/90)

<Original message deleted>

> Hi Todd--
>
> I sent you the copy of Kermit (Dr. Evil is my alter ego ;-).  I'm quite
> surprised that you are having problems, especially at 1200 bps.  Can you
> provide more detail as to your hardware configuration and what system(s) you
> are communicating with?

Well, as I said I have one of the older 128s, a 1571 disk drive, a Lt. Kernal
40 meg HD, a US Robotics Direct 1200 modem, and a couple printers. I have tried
using the bare essentials, i.e. the 128, 1571, and modem with all else
disconnected, and I get the same problems.

I am connecting to a VAX/VMS system which has a dialback security system. I
call and give my security, it calls back and I login. Most of the time this
part goes smoothly but sometimes I have problems. At any rate, I get what looks
like characters caused due to a noisy line mixed in with and/or instead of the
transmitted text. I have tried switching parity, stop bit, etc. to different
configurations, but then I get absolutely nothing. I don't have these problems
with my VT-100 emulator, but I cannot transfer files with that since the VAX
doesn't support X-modem (or if it does, I haven't been able to invoke it). The
only thing I have been able to surmise is that possibly somehow the
modifications done for the Lt. Kernal are responsible, but this would be the
only case of this I have ever seen; supposedly when the Kernal is disabled, the
128 is suppose to work normally.

It would be nice to finally get Kermit working, and I appreciate that you have
responded. I hope it is something resolvable.

Todd Lockemer

BTW: In case it is at all significant, I have version 2.1 of Kermit.

kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent SULLIVAN) (10/04/90)

In article <1203.27070e80@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com>, lockemer@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
> <Original message deleted>
>
>Well, as I said I have one of the older 128s, a 1571 disk drive, a Lt. Kernal
>40 meg HD, a US Robotics Direct 1200 modem, and a couple printers. I have tried
>using the bare essentials, i.e. the 128, 1571, and modem with all else
>disconnected, and I get the same problems.
>
>I am connecting to a VAX/VMS system which has a dialback security system. I
>call and give my security, it calls back and I login. Most of the time this
>part goes smoothly but sometimes I have problems. At any rate, I get what looks
>like characters caused due to a noisy line mixed in with and/or instead of the
>transmitted text. I have tried switching parity, stop bit, etc. to different
>configurations, but then I get absolutely nothing. I don't have these problems
>with my VT-100 emulator, but I cannot transfer files with that since the VAX
>doesn't support X-modem (or if it does, I haven't been able to invoke it). The
>only thing I have been able to surmise is that possibly somehow the
>modifications done for the Lt. Kernal are responsible, but this would be the
>only case of this I have ever seen; supposedly when the Kernal is disabled, the
>128 is suppose to work normally.

Well, I have unfortunately never used Kermit (any version) with a Lt. Kernal HD.
I think that the Kernal "host adapter" asserts new ROMs into the memory map, so
there is a chance that Kermit doesn't like something about that...  otherwise,
it sounds like you have tried all the things I would have tried.  I have used
Kermit with a lot of different modems on a lot of different C-64/128s, and
have never had a repeatable garbage problem, except that the "Zoom" brand
modem refused to cooperate at 2400 bps (I have heard it called "cheap", so
maybe that was the problem! ;-).

>It would be nice to finally get Kermit working, and I appreciate that you have
>responded. I hope it is something resolvable.
>
>Todd Lockemer
>
>BTW: In case it is at all significant, I have version 2.1 of Kermit.

It might be significant; I can't remember what problems (if any) we had with
v2.1.  The current version is 2.2.  I guess you got this copy from us quite
some time ago?  (2.2 has been out since 1988, I think.)

I recommend that you try to locate a copy of 2.2 and see if that fixes the
problem.  It can be obtained via anonymous FTP from the C-64 archives, and
is probably still on maxwell.physics.purdue.edu in pub/kermit (or something
similar path-wise).

If you want to get it from good old Doc Evil, send me email and I'll send you
the details.

Cheers,