[comp.sys.cbm] Concerning the mail Archive

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (09/20/90)

A few messages back was a posting of FTP sites which mentioned my Mail
Archive. It is still up and running, but I have had little or no input.
There have been a few people that were regular senders for a while, but
you can't rely totally on these people.

My question to you guys is do you want a mail archive server? I have
a few choices. I can 1) Take it down  2) Leave it running in hopes that
the net guys/gals will help support the 8 bit commodore or 3) Switch
it over to an amiga archive site.

If I get enough messages and mail asking for the archive and ANY support
at all, (by that I mean some sends), I will leave it commodore 8 bit. I
have sold my 128 to a friend to use as a terminal, so it would be up to
you all to support the mail archive.

Use of it is fairly easy and standardized. I have tried to make the easiest
program easier to use with not much luck. Unlike other servers, you don;t get
an onslaught of help messages when you ask to send a file. Instead, you get
the file if it is available. (I have tried some amiga mail archive sites
that give me a BUNCH of messages when I index or send file or anything!)

I won't take it away from the 64/128 users unless the voting doesnt go well
in here. By voting, I mean you must be willing to send files as well as
receive them. Its the unified lot of what everyone has sent and not of what
one person has that makes the server work.

Some people have had some path problems getting here. I will, if the server
is deemed necessary, look around for some alternative paths to corpane
and disk. If you can make it to ukma or uunet or ms.uky.edu then you can
reach the server. Same goes for rutgers. If you can send through rutgers,
it will get here. Most of the major machines will be able to route to our
area or a machine with ours in its path lists.

So let me know what you want. Hit 'R' or 'F' now!

Byron Guernsey
(specter@disk.uucp, uunet!corpane!disk!specter, rutgers!ukma!corpane!disk!
specter or maybe even corpane!specter@ms.uky.edu)

rickc@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Rick Clements) (10/05/90)

In article <4131@disk.UUCP> specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:

I am posting this because I am apparently unable to reach specter@disk.UUCP
any more.  (I has able to once apon a time, but now everything apears to
fall into a black hole.)  I'm on USENET, so I should be able to get though.

>A few messages back was a posting of FTP sites which mentioned my Mail
>Archive. It is still up and running, but I have had little or no input.
>There have been a few people that were regular senders for a while, but
>you can't rely totally on these people.

I was able to get help and a directory then nothing.  (I was to submit files
if I could get them successfully.)  I hadn't followed up when I was unable
to access the server because I had found a mail server into Simtel20.  (It's
the CP/M archive.)  I have kept my self busy looking though that archive.

>My question to you guys is do you want a mail archive server? I have
>a few choices. I can 1) Take it down  2) Leave it running in hopes that
>the net guys/gals will help support the 8 bit commodore or 3) Switch
>it over to an amiga archive site.

I vote for 2.  I would hate to see either 1 or 3 happen.

--
Rick Clements (RickC@pogo.WV.TEK.COM)