[comp.sys.cbm] Desterm 2.0 40 column mode works?

warren@col.hp.com (Warren Tustin) (10/03/90)

A question about Desterm 2.0.  I recently downloaded Desterm and am currently
evaluating it.   In trying things out I tried the 40 column mode (which I
would definitely want to use if it worked).  I found however, that when I
switch to 40 columns and thick pixels the terminal mode screen gets wierd.
I get vertical bars and the top status line gets messed up and nothing meaning-
ful can be done.  Has anyone else tried this mode?  Does it work?  I got no
errors when un-sfx'ing the files.  I would like to use the 40columns in some
instances but maybe I mis-understood how they were supposed to work.  So far
the other things I looked at work fine.

Warren @col.hp.com

tlo@cbnewsj.att.com (trevor.l.obermann) (10/04/90)

In article <16200013@col.hp.com>, warren@col.hp.com (Warren Tustin) writes:

> A question about Desterm 2.0.  I recently downloaded Desterm and am currently
> evaluating it.   In trying things out I tried the 40 column mode (which I
> would definitely want to use if it worked).  I found however, that when I
> switch to 40 columns and thick pixels the terminal mode screen gets wierd.
> I get vertical bars and the top status line gets messed up and nothing meaning-
> ful can be done.  Has anyone else tried this mode?  Does it work?  I got no
> errors when un-sfx'ing the files.  I would like to use the 40columns in some
> instances but maybe I mis-understood how they were supposed to work.  So far
> the other things I looked at work fine.
>
> Warren @col.hp.com

Yes I have used the 40 col mode and it does work although the characters are
quite huge in my opinion and the screen is a little weird to work with ie.
having half a screen at a time. Now for my problem I am unable to upload using
any of the available protocals at any speed ( I have tried from 300 - 9600 )
it seems that after the first packet is transmitted desterm either times out
( xmodem protocals ) or doesn't even send a packet ( ymodem & ymodem batch )
the only file I have been able to successfully send was an 384 byte file.
My set up consists of DesTerm v2.0, (2) 1581 drives a 1750 REU ( being used as a ram disk ), 1351 mouse enabled, modems used were GVC 2400 bps w/MNP 5, AT&T
2400 bps 2224CEO w/MNP 4, AT&T 2296A 9600 bps w/MNP 4, in all cases I tried with MNP enabled & disabled at 8-N-1. Can anyone offer any help or suggestions as to
how I can solve this problem.

--
+  Trevor L. Obermann		Compuserve  71556.351.compuserve.com        +

n8941063@unicorn.wwu.edu (stevens charles a) (10/05/90)

         I'm currently running DesTerm v2.00 on my 128D, and I have no problems
with 40-column thick pixel mode.  Works just fine.  The characters look like
the IBM CGA 40-column mode (at least while using des.ibmset).  Anyone else?

                  ...Chaz...