[comp.sys.cbm] Desterm Question!

grx0644@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Tony Schliesser) (10/10/90)

I have a question about desterm 2.00. What is the answerback option for?? No,
not the VT id option, the answerback!! I know you can set it to some text
string, but what is it for?? How does one cause this string to be sent? Any
ideas???

Thanks,

Tony

digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mike Digdon) (10/10/90)

The answerback message is sent automatically when a connection with a remote
computer has been established. I am not yet certain what you would use it for,
but if I find out, I'll be sure to post a message here.

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (10/10/90)

 > From: grx0644@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Tony Schliesser)
 >
 > I have a question about desterm 2.00. What is the answerback option for??

   The VT-102 standard includes provision for an inquiry command beyond the
normal terminal ID. This is often used to identify the manufacturer and/or
model of a terminal which emulates DEC codes.

   I don't know of any real reason for it, except maybe as a way for DEC to
find out who's emulating their equipment...
 --
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
No one pays me enough to represent any opinions but my own.

dflahert@tagore.helios.nd.edu (Dennis Flaherty) (10/11/90)

In article <243.2713492B@zswamp.fidonet.org> root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:
}
}  > From: grx0644@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Tony Schliesser)
}  > Message-ID: <1990Oct9.154255.1840@uoft02.utoledo.edu>
}  >
}  > I have a question about desterm 2.00. What is the answerback option for??
}
}    The VT-102 standard includes provision for an inquiry command beyond the
} normal terminal ID. This is often used to identify the manufacturer and/or
} model of a terminal which emulates DEC codes.
}
}    I don't know of any real reason for it, except maybe as a way for DEC to
} find out who's emulating their equipment...

Desterm correctly responds to qterm(l) on UNIX systems and SET TERM/INQ on
VMS systems (if there are any left).

--
Dennis Flaherty              dennisf@ndcvx.cc.nd.edu
U of Notre Dame      Dept. of Electrical Engineering

grx0644@uoft02.utoledo.edu (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.143352.9428@cs.dal.ca>, digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mike Digdon) writes:
> The answerback message is sent automatically when a connection with a remote
> computer has been established. I am not yet certain what you would use it for,
> but if I find out, I'll be sure to post a message here.

	I posted the origional question and after posting a message to sys.dec,
they informed me that it was the character (05%)......So thanks for all the
help and interest...... Happy programming!

prindle@nadc.nadc.navy.mil (Frank Prindle) (10/11/90)

Answerback is one of those historical dinosaurs which persists to this day
for compatibility. In olden days of telecomputing when terminals were largely
mechanical and ran at the blinding speed of 10 characters/second or less,
each terminal was pre-programmed (by The Phone Company, since they
held a monopoly on telecom equipment back then) to transmit its phone number
or some other identification whenever it received an ASCII ENQ (^E, enquiry)
character (in pre-ASCII days, this was called WRU - i.e. Who aRe yoU?). The
purpose was so that the receiver of a call could unconditionally tell who
called (The Phone Company always were a suspicious lot). Because this code
remains reserved for this function in the current standards for ASCII encoding,
terminals (and terminal emulators) to this day must support answerback, though
we are now free (thanks Carterphone!) to program any sort of cute saying we
want in the answerback message. Since its original purpose is totally
destroyed, it is typically totally ignored.  But you can still make any
ANSI standard terminal transmit its answerback by sending it a ^E if you can
think of any practical purpose for it!

End history lesson,
Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.navy.mil

fred@cbmvax.commodore.com (Fred Bowen) (10/13/90)

In article <243.2713492B@zswamp.fidonet.org> Geoffrey Welsh writes:
> > From: grx0644@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Tony Schliesser)
> >
> > I have a question about desterm 2.00. What is the answerback option for??
>
>normal terminal ID. This is often used to identify the manufacturer and/or
>model of a terminal which emulates DEC codes.
>
>   I don't know of any real reason for it, except maybe as a way for DEC to
>find out who's emulating their equipment...

I use it simply as an extra "function key".  The answerback message is
transmitted on a VT100 upon receipt of ^E *or* the user typing ^BREAK.
So I define it to be a particular login command, and press ^BREAK to
invoke it.  I do this on an actual VT100 or my VT100-128; I have not
tried to do this using DESterm.

--
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				domain:	fred@cbmvax.commodore.com

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380