[net.music] List of Top Albums

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (10/11/85)

>>>	Thanks for the list of oldies (basically) top records, now how
>>>about today's music. Gee, it looks as if a 70's revival is upon us.
>>
>>I think the  outcome of this  survey demonstrates
>>the *general* degeneration of popular music after the early 70's.
>>
>>		- John Lipinski
>
>Or, instead it could demonstrate once again how the general trend is for people
>to latch on to certain periods in music and not really want to hear anything
>else.
>
>                             - Paul Kirsch

How about another reason?   If someone is selecting for a list of best albums,
they are likely to pick those that have withstood the test of time.  I know
there are quite a few modern albums that I have bought within the last few
months that I like a lot and play a lot.  I would be very hesitant to put
them on a list of my favorite albums, though, until I've had them for a
year or more.   ("Brothers in Arms" comes to mind.)  The reason is that
sometimes you will find an album you think is great, and a year later is
nothing.  The really good ones get better.
--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

I march to the beat of a different drummer, whose identity,
   location, and musical ability are as yet unknown.

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (10/14/85)

In article <223@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:

>>>I think the  outcome of this  survey demonstrates
>>>the *general* degeneration of popular music after the early 70's.
>>>
>>>		- John Lipinski
>>
>>Or, instead it could demonstrate once again how the general trend is for people
>>to latch on to certain periods in music and not really want to hear anything
>>else.
>>
>>                             - Paul Kirsch
>
>How about another reason?   If someone is selecting for a list of best albums,
>they are likely to pick those that have withstood the test of time.  I know
>there are quite a few modern albums that I have bought within the last few
>months that I like a lot and play a lot.  I would be very hesitant to put
>them on a list of my favorite albums, though, until I've had them for a
>year or more.   ("Brothers in Arms" comes to mind.)  The reason is that
>sometimes you will find an album you think is great, and a year later is
>nothing.  The really good ones get better.
>--
>
>                                     Sue Brezden

I can agree with you to a point Sue but, I also think it has to do with the
age of the average person that is on the net. I can think of a lot of "new"
albums that I would consider in my "favorites" list. Examples include Joy
Division's Unknown Pleasures and Echo and the Bunnymen's first album. I didn't
mean my comment regarding "not wanting to listen to anything else" as bad--
I just think it's a fact that people get used to certain things and tend not
to want to change to something new.

--

Another wunnerful letter from the semi-intelligent rotting brain of:

                              Paul Kirsch
                              St. Joseph's University
                              Philadelphia, Pa

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!kirsch

I'm outside right now...do you know where your children are ? (snicker)

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (10/17/85)

In article <2381@sjuvax.UUCP> kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) writes:

>I can agree with you to a point Sue but, I also think it has to do with the
>age of the average person that is on the net. I can think of a lot of "new"
>albums that I would consider in my "favorites" list. Examples include Joy
>Division's Unknown Pleasures and Echo and the Bunnymen's first album. I didn't
>mean my comment regarding "not wanting to listen to anything else" as bad--
>I just think it's a fact that people get used to certain things and tend not
>to want to change to something new.

   Has anybody stated the obvious yet?  Nearly everybody has recent albums that
they enjoy enough to put in their top ten list.  Nearly everyone has older
albums in that list.  There are a helluvalot more "old" albums than recent
albums.  There are certain albums which enjoy widespread popularity, for
whatever reason (could it be that they contain good music with lasting value?),
and continue to be enjoyed over the years.  Since more than a couple people
would list those albums *somewhere* on the list, they would get a high score
in the poll even if it was number 10 on each list, and the top nine were
divided among the thousands of albums released in, say, the last 3 years.
Personally, several of my top picks made it to the "One vote" list, while
most others were not in the top 20.  However, down there at number ten
was Dark Side of The Moon, because I couldn't *not* put it on the list
(however, I've since listened to "Meddle" and "Wish You Were Here" again,
and consider them better than DSM).
   Another lesser issue has been brought up.  That's the fact that trying
to pick ten definite "top" albums is extremely difficult for most people
(me included), and trying to order them is even worse.  I think if we
were to rerun the poll (that's NOT a suggestion), giving people the
current poll results to help jog their memories, things would be a bit
different (but just a bit).

 - joel "vo" plutchak
   {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

Can you say "opinion"?  I *knew* you could!