[comp.sys.cbm] Help with Compuserv

grx0644@uoft02.utoledo.edu (10/18/90)

I know this is a bit off the subject, but I need to send mail to Compuserv of a
technical nature. I have the id of the person, but I do not know the internet
path. I have seen someplace someone saying that this is how its done and I did
not know where else to post it. I am not a member of compuserv, so I am sorry
if I am bothering anyone with this desperate plea for help.

Tony

Summary of this post.

Need pathway to send mail to a Compuserv user via networks.

castorca@EA.USL.EDU (Christian Castor) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.214131.1949@uoft02.utoledo.edu>, grx0644@uoft02.utoledo.edu writes:
>I know this is a bit off the subject, but I need to send mail to Compuserv of a
>technical nature. I have the id of the person, but I do not know the internet
>path. I have seen someplace someone saying that this is how its done and I did
>not know where else to post it. I am not a member of compuserv, so I am sorry
>if I am bothering anyone with this desperate plea for help.
>
>Tony
>
>Summary of this post.
>
>Need pathway to send mail to a Compuserv user via networks.

To send EMail to a Compuserve account you should use:

               xxxxx.xxxx@compuserve.com

where xxxxx.xxxx is the destination compuserve id (you replace the
comma by a period).  As an example, suppose you want to send mail
to Compuserve account 73030,2734 .
You must address your mail to:

               73030.2734@compuserve.com

Hope that helps.

   - Chris C

---

sigfile.lzh   4604 bytes   ----rwed 22-Sep-90 22:38:14

(That's a truly COMPACT .sig file  :^)

jack@rml.UUCP (jack hagerty) (10/21/90)

In article <1990Oct17.214131.1949@uoft02.utoledo.edu> grx0644@uoft02.utoledo.edu writes:
>I know this is a bit off the subject, but I need to send mail to Compuserv of a
>technical nature. I have the id of the person, but I do not know the internet
>path. I have seen someplace someone saying that this is how its done and I did
>not know where else to post it. I am not a member of compuserv, so I am sorry
>if I am bothering anyone with this desperate plea for help.
>
>Tony

Pretty straight forward, actually.

Just use the form:

	user@compuserve.com

where "user" is the CompuServe ID number of the person you want. The
only trick is to replace the comma in the ID with a period since, apparently,
commas do funny things in the internet (maybe someone out there could
enlighten us).

To get mail back from Compuserve, they must use the form:

	>user@host.domain

the important part of which is the leading ">" which tells CompuServe
that the address is not a shorthand for the "address book" (or whatever
they call it) but an actual network path.