[comp.sys.cbm] GEOS programming

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (04/09/90)

How come noone has written a "Geo-Term" ?? Way back when they had the Geos
programming contest from berkley softworks I was sure the winning entry would
be a "Geo-Term" since geos has tons of fonts and exceelent facilities for that.
I thought myself, if I were to buy Geos Programmer, I would make a geoterm. But
unfortunately I didn't buy it (IE no geoterm with neat vt100 stuff and graphics
plotting) Any idea if one does exist?

Byron Guernsey
--
Byron 'Maxwell' Guernsey                         |       ///  //\\
specter@disk.UUCP     or                         |      ///  //  \\

bwildasi@pewter.ucs.indiana.edu (Ben Wildasin) (04/11/90)

Grrr :) Check out GeoTerm, found on the GEOS Power Pak I and GEOS
Companion disks from RUN Magazine. One of the versions uses 80 columns
even. (I don't use them, I use Desterm). GeoTerm has no terminal
emulation, very limited protocol support, little customizability, no
high-speed modem support, a klunky interface, no DA support, no
on-screen styles... the list goes on and on :(

Peace,
Ben Wildasin

Ben Wildasin                                           bwildasi@ucs.indiana.edu

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) (04/11/90)

In article <2187@disk.UUCP> specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:
>How come noone has written a "Geo-Term" ?? Way back when they had the Geos
>programming contest from berkley softworks I was sure the winning entry would
>be a "Geo-Term" since geos has tons of fonts and exceelent facilities for that.
>I thought myself, if I were to buy Geos Programmer, I would make a geoterm. But
>unfortunately I didn't buy it (IE no geoterm with neat vt100 stuff and graphics
>plotting) Any idea if one does exist?
>
>Byron Guernsey
>--
>Byron 'Maxwell' Guernsey                         |       ///  //\\
>specter@disk.UUCP     or                         |      ///  //  \\
>uunet!ukma!corpane!disk!specter                  |  \\\///  //====\\
>"We're not going to give you 500 dimes..." - SNL |   \\\/  //      \\ m i g a

There is one that I know of, actually two. On RUN's Power Pak II, a
Geo-Term 128 and 64 is included. However, the bad news:
no 2400 baud support. 300 or 1200 only(I forget if it allowed variations
like 450, 600 etc baud). As far as I know, It doesn't have vt100
support, which will make it hard for one to modem in from home to
the school's(or company's) computers and logon without a bunch of useless
keys on the keyboard(ie no |,{,},_,^,etc.) If you only logon to local
boards, I guess it'll serve your purpose.....
Anyone out there wanna take the challenge and program the following ? :
a Term program usable under Geos,
300, 1200, and 2400 baud or better support,
(Desterm lets the 128 use up to 9.6k baud modems! Note: earlier 128s can
only handle 4.8k baud.)
LARGE Phonebook, like 40-60 entries,
switchable character set, ie: Commodore or ASCII keyboard at user's will,
anything else designed to please the many C= users :-)

So, Any of you Geos-gurus wanna take up the challenge?
I'm sticking with vt100-128 til then.....

*    // Only /\       Lord Zar,Commander Of All He Surveys                    *
*\\ //      /--\MIGA  (and hater of spaces near commas.)                      *
* \X/ Internet: lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu QuantumLink & Portal: Lord_Zar       *
* "The only good long .signature is a dead one!" --Me (The new,shorter .sig!) *

pcr@genrad.com (Perry Rothermel) (04/12/90)

In article <2187@disk.UUCP> specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:
>How come noone has written a "Geo-Term" ?? Way back when they had the Geos

There is a GEOterm. It can be downloaded from Q-Link.

rknop@juliet.caltech.edu (Knop, Robert Andrew) (10/19/90)

Are there any GEOS programmers out there who read this news group?

Intellectual curiosity, but I also do have a specific question.  I was
wondering if anyone knows if anywhere on the net (i.e. at a ftp site etc.) I
can get a copy of the text to the "Hitchhiker's Guide to GEOS."  According to
what I have heard on Q-Link, the Guide is a sort of sequel to the "GEOS
Programmr's Reference Guide," and has some coverage of GEOS 128.  It was never
really published, so is now a sort of public domain guide- meaning that if you
want a copy, you have to xerox one from someone who has one.  However, if the
text source was ever uploaded anywhere on the net, then we could download and
print it ourselves there....

-Rob Knop             rknop@juliet.caltech.edu
An actual Caltech grad student who uses a C-128.

bhelf@athena.mit.edu (Bill Helfinstine) (10/19/90)

There is at least one other GEOS programmer out here.  This Hitchhiker's Guide
sounds like just what GEOS needs, since GEOS 128 has virtually nonexistant
programming support.  Anyway, are there any ftp sites with GEOS stuff?  milton
has just a couple of programs.

Bill Helfinstine

-an MIT undergraduate who actually uses a C64

hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct19.044716.15643@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, rknop@juliet.calte