[comp.sys.cbm] Desterm and Unix Mainframes....

md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus Dolengo) (10/18/90)

I like this program but recently I've been having HORRIFIC problems using
desterm to logon to my school's mainframe. Basically, when I do things such as
Emacs a file, the file turns to "soup"- if I'm in the 3rd line pressing
any key <ie space> my cursor will follow accordingly but suddenly it will
appear at the end of the line, or when I'm deleting something, the whole
screen gets royally screwed up and turns into soup. This has happened when I
used ANSI, VT-52 and VT-102 when logging on, and its annoying as hell.
when I type "ls" for a directory as well, I end up with a jumbled mess like:

ilename                                                                       f
ilename2
<etc> and its hard to work in that sort of environment. This also happens on
RN also, where some posts appear like that too. When I buffer everything, it
appears normal instead of demented. Any help would be greatly appreciated

 o                             o   | This Space For Rent             Amiga!! //
<< md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu >>  |                                     \\ //
/>                             <\  |                                      \X/

Coming soon to a .sig near you- Quotes!

n8941063@unicorn.wwu.edu (stevens charles a) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct18.024121.27832@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus  Dolengo) writes:

[stuff deleted]
>ilename                                                                       f
>ilename2

     I occasionally have this problem when using DesTerm with the UNIX here
at WWU, but I don't have any other problem with it.  I tell UNIX that I'm using
vt100, while I am running vt102.  No problems.

                                     ...Chaz...

Geoffrey.Welsh@p0.f171.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (10/20/90)

 > From: md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus  Dolengo)

 > Basically, when I do things such as Emacs a file, the
 > file turns to "soup"- if I'm in the 3rd line pressing
 > any key <ie space> my cursor will follow accordingly but
 > suddenly it will appear at the end of the line, or when
 > I'm deleting something, the whole screen gets royally
 > screwed up and turns into soup.

   I have seen this happen with other machines using 'standard'
terminals (HP, Honeywell, even DEC); in those cases, the terminals
were operating at 9600 bps and holding the cursor down in vi caused
a *lot* of characters to be sent to the CPU (VT100 codes for cursor
keys are relatively long). The balance of data in (cursor codes) to
data out (the info being drawn on the screen) was causing the input
buffer to get ahead of the output buffer, and eventually the input
buffer would overflow.

   If you were using single-character codes (e.g. j & k in vi) it
wasn't a problem; however, long cursor control codes were split up,
and the results were wild. (i.e. blocks of characters were lost such
that the CPU got half a code and then the full code from start again,
or the back half only of a code... you get the idea.

 > when I type "ls" for a directory as well, I end up with a
 > jumbled mess like:

 > ilename
 > ilename2

   This puzzles me greatly. Please netmail me with whatever details
you can. We will see if there is anything that Matt or I can do for
you.

--
Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!171.0!Geoffrey.Welsh

md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus Dolengo) (10/23/90)

Well i finally figured out what the hell happened <ok it wasnt me, some people
sent me email making some suggestions>
I had erased all the tabs which screwed up everything, when I reset them every-
thing returned to normal <whew>