[comp.sys.cbm] MicroLeague Baseball II

Rob.Dale@samba.acs.unc.edu (Rob Dale) (10/23/90)

Does anyone have MLB II for the 64/128?  I am a die-hard fan of MLB I,
and now that I hear they finally have converted MLB II to a 64/128 version
I'm ecstatic...

Any comments on the program?  Or has anyone played other computer versions
of it?

Rob Dale --- Purdue University
Rob.Dale@samba.acs.unc.edu

--

mikeb@brahms.udel.edu (Mike Brennan) (10/23/90)

In article <1392@beguine.UUCP> Rob.Dale@samba.acs.unc.edu (Rob Dale) writes:
>Does anyone have MLB II for the 64/128?  I am a die-hard fan of MLB I,
>and now that I hear they finally have converted MLB II to a 64/128 version
>I'm ecstatic...
>
>Any comments on the program?  Or has anyone played other computer versions
>of it?
>
>Rob Dale --- Purdue University
>Rob.Dale@samba.acs.unc.edu

	First off, I wrote the manual for it, so my opinions of the game
are biased.  (I am no longer employed by MicroLeague. :$)

	MLB II for the C-64 is not the same as MLB II for the other machines.
Basically, MicroLeague bought Pure-Stat Baseball, made a few changes to the
program, and called it MicroLeague II Enhanced.

	The game starts out by selecting which teams you would like to play.
The game disk comes with 26 teams.  Next you get to select which stadium you
would like to play in.  Not only are the graphics of that stadium shown, but
stadium factors are used to determine the outcome of the play.  You can then
select what kind of game you would like to play, all computer, one or two.
When using all computer you can select "Quick Mode" to let the computer play
a whole game in a matter of minutes.  Also, if you select computer mode, you
can let the computer play a "series" of game, including a pitching rotation.

	Each player gets a series of manager menus.

	For Fielding:
		Intentional Walk
		Pitch Around
		Pitch Aggresively
		Pitch Out
		Play Behind
		*Pitch Away
		Fastball		(Does not keep stats on pitchers
		Curve Ball		 relating to what they pitch best.)
		Slider
		Change Up
		Specialty
		Infield In
		In At Corners
		Guard the Line
		Play to Pull (IF, OF)
		Play Shallow (All, LF, CF, RF)
		Play Aggressive
		Play Deep (All, LF, CF, RF)

	For Batting:
		Hit and Run
		Bunt for Hit
		Sacrifice Bunt
		Opposite Field
		Squeeze Bunt
		Fastball		(You try to guess what the
		Curveball                pitcher is going to pitch.)
		Slider
		Change Up
		Specialty
		Swing Away
		Take Extra Base (LF, CF, RF)
		Steal a Base

Once both managers have selected their plays, the play appears on the screen.
(I like the diving fielders....)

You can make lineup changes at anytime.  Pitchers do have to be warmed up.

When the game is over, MLB IIe lets you save stats and league standings for
both teams.

The flip side of the disk lets you trade players between teams.  (You can not
enter you own players!!!  MicroLeague wants you to buy another disk for that.)

If you have any others questions just let me know.

mikeb@brahms.udel.edu

PS  Anyone who has bought the game, how do you like the manual?  Was it easy
to follow?  (No, I didn't do page 28 or 30) (And yes, the orginal one was 40
pages long before it was edited to its current state...  :^(

BSJ100@psuvm.psu.edu (10/23/90)

I personal did not like MLB II at all, simply because it was JUST like Pure-
Stat Baseball. I mean, if I want PSB, I go get it. I thought they would just
enhance the great MLB I, but the changes they made took MLB from most-played to
least played. I was looking forward to MLB II and, I hate to say, I was very
disappointed. How hard would it have been to just enhance the original?? Oh
well, that's my 2: worth.
                                 -- Rick

In article <90295.213613BSJ100@psuvm.psu.edu> BSJ100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>              How hard would it have been to just enhance the original??
>                                 -- Rick

	I doubt anyone left at MicroLeague could even find the source code
to the original, let alone enhance it!
	MicroLeague bought Pure-Stat so they could bring out MLB 3 next
year.  Bascially use Pure-Stat's games and add a few new features to it.
I've seen the source code for the Atari, IBM, and Mac versions and basically
there are just a mess.  It would be easier to reprogram the thing from
start.
	By the way, Pure-Stat Baseball is no longer being sold!  (I am sure
	you could find a copy on some store shelf somewhere thou.)

PS  The differences between MLB I and MLB 2 are very little.  The engine is
still the same!  The improved stats are NOT used in the outcome of the play.

mikeb@brahms.udel.edu

BSJ100@psuvm.psu.edu (10/24/90)

It's not the engine I don't like, it's the graphics, the look, abd the feel.
Sorry, but I just like the look and feel of the original. ;-)
BTW, is there a MLB II for the Amiga?? If not, is there going to be one?? Or
is MLB I for Amys already enhanced?
                                     -- Rick