[comp.sys.cbm] 1541

alex.burger@canremote.uucp (ALEX BURGER) (07/03/89)

I have a 1541 that was given to us.

The people before us, said that the light would just stay on (with no
disk in), and keep on spinning.

I think it will work o.k. (but not the greatest) with just a plain 64,
or 128, but as soon as FASTLOAD! is put in, it can barely read the
directory.

Any ideas as to what could be the problem?

Alex Burger

---
 * Via ProDoor 3.0R

ian.mcghie@canremote.uucp (IAN MCGHIE) (07/11/89)

I have a copy of the 1541 service manual.  In the troubleshooting guide
it states that if the drive continually spins after power-up, check the
12 volt supply, 6502, PLA, and the logic gates (pretty much everything)
It also says that if loading is intermittent, check alignment and the
roms.  Keep in touch, and if you have any more problems, contact me...

 * QNet 1.03a2: Bert's Bulletin Board. Brandon, Man. Can. (204)763-4684

David.Johnson@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Johnson) (07/12/89)

 > I have a 1541 that was given to us.
 > The people before us, said that the light would just stay
 > on (with no
 > disk in), and keep on spinning.
I'm about to get rapped for long distance solutions but it sounds lie
a blown 6526 (try swapping them and see what happens)

And way back I was chastised for this practice (I stated that ram chips
can blow and cause the symptoms described) perhaps I should have continued
and stated that it also could have been any device that connects to
the address bus (Pals are favorite replacement items here!)

--
 David Johnson - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!171!David.Johnson

xvj@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sean Ahern) (10/24/90)

In article <6072@minyos.xx.rmit.oz> s887212@minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Stephen Riehm [Romulis]) writes:
>it now spins relentlessly, and the red light stays on as if to say "go away
>I am busy"

	I have the same problem with mine, too.  When I shipped my computer
equipment here to college (TV, C128D, printer, 1541), everything arrived fine,
except the 1541.  It now just spins and spins, with the red light on.  If it
is connected to the C128D, the computer tries to wait until the drive
initializes itself (which it never finishes doing).  Has anyone else out
there experienced this problem?  Has anyone found a way to fix it?  (Short of
buying an IBM and trashing the Commodore :-)

Sean Ahern
Purdue University
--
"By the time you've sorted out a complicated idea into little steps
that even a stupid machine can deal with, you've certainly learned