[comp.sys.cbm] Odds and ends questions.....

hinkle@acsu.buffalo.edu (steven j hinkle) (10/24/90)

I would like to know any information someone could give me on
ADA by Abacus.  I have heard (via this board) that C is not very
good, but what about ADA?  I would like to start programming in ADA
but I am not sure as to the quality of the ADA by Abacus.  Is there
somewhere I can get a review of this software?

Also, the only mail order catalog in my possion is Tenex.  Can anyone
recommend another catalog for the C128?  I would like one that has more
than just games.

Lastly, is it possible to use the 1581 in CP/M mode of the C128?  I
bought this drive so that I wouldn't have to disk swap so much but
I can't seem to get the computer to recognize the drive.  Any Help?

I would appreciate any info on this that anyone could give me.
Thanks,
Steven Hinkle

--
|  Steven Hinkle   "The Quaker"       |  Always look on the bright side.|
|  University of Buffalo              |  If there isn't one, check the  |

sd05@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Sylvain Tremblay) (10/24/90)

In article <42239@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> hinkle@acsu.buffalo.edu (steven j hinkle) writes:

>Lastly, is it possible to use the 1581 in CP/M mode of the C128?  I
>bought this drive so that I wouldn't have to disk swap so much but
>I can't seem to get the computer to recognize the drive.  Any Help?

>|  Steven Hinkle

I have a 1581 disk drive too (wich is a great drive by the way) and although
I use it mostly on the C128 side, I remember using it on the CP/M as well.
Unfortunately, the documentation provided with the drive is quite poor (as is
the case with much of CBM's hardware).  If my memory serves right, I just
used the format command on a blank disk and that's all there was to it.  In
fact I believe that it's possible to format a single partition on a diskette
wich would make it possible to share a disk between C128 & CP/M.  Why anybody
would want to do that is beyond me, though...

I'll try this out and get back to you as soon as I find out for sure.
If you want a real improvement, try using a 512K RAM expander (there are many
brands of RAM Expanders out there...)

Some other follow-ups I wanted to make are:

Rob van Manen:  [Changing Character Color]  It does sound like a case of
                defective power supply.  The same thing happened to me
                with my old C64.  I solved my problem by buying a 1764 RAM
                expander (wich includes a boosted power supply)!

Lyle Seplowitz: I've just recently purchased ABACUS's C and PASCAL compiler.
                It's obvious that these two compilers have not been kept up
                to date.  The C compiler is not even ANSI wich is quite
                unfortunate.  It's also unfortunate that both compilers use
                a run-time system (pgms cannot be run from BASIC).  The PASCAL
                compiler even uses an ackward DOS wich is 100% incompatible
                with most other known computer systems (i.e. difficult file
                transfers).  However, despite all those annoying constraints
                my opinion is that both compiler are quite good actually and
                that they both present a fairly complete compatibility with the
                actual languages.  It's just too bad that support has been
                dropped for these two programs.

Robert Knop:    Your article on the Hitchhiker's guide to GEOS intrigued me.
                If you do get any information on it, please do forward it to
                me.  I am a machine language programmer myself and I did
                play around with GEOPROGRAMMER 64 but got tired of the
                abysmally slow speed...  I would really like to get into
                some GEO128Programming.  For the moment I use Merlin 128.
                I've almost completed the coding of a C128 ml debugger wich
                sits on top of CBM's monitor.  I think it's quite good (with
                support for bank switching, break points, step by step
                execution and the usual stuff...)  As soon as I complete the
                documentation, I will release it as PD.  If anyone is
                interested, please let me know...

Well, that's enough for me...  See ya all later!

From Eric Trepanier,  forever addicted to CBM's 8 bit machines...

---------
Sylvain  (sd05@DMI.usherb.ca)
(819) 820-0976