[comp.sys.cbm] Cleaning 1571 drives

md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus Dolengo) (10/25/90)

I have a 128D and a 1571 drive and I havent had any poroblems with the disk
drives recently, i just wanted to know what should I get to clean them <esp.
since I hope to sell them real soon :-/   >

any suggestions about cleaning 3.5" drives too?

grx0644@uoft02.utoledo.edu (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.232236.8055@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus  Dolengo) writes:

> I have a 128D and a 1571 drive and I havent had any poroblems with the disk
> drives recently, i just wanted to know what should I get to clean them <esp.
> since I hope to sell them real soon :-/   >
>
> any suggestions about cleaning 3.5" drives too?

	In my experience, cleaning the drive heads are easy, if you know what
material to use. The must common cleaning materials are Q-tip and Rubbing
Alcohol (Isopropanol).  From a chemistry perspective standpoint, I have a
huge problem with this. One reason, The Alcohol does not dry with out leaving a
some residue behind. Secondly,and most importantly, the alcohol tends to
dissolve a small amount of the glue that holds the cotton to the Q-tip Stick.
And this glue is left on your head, when the alcohol dries. My solution to this
problem is to use Denatured Alcohol, which you'll beable to get at any drug
store and cotton balls.

	I hope this helps........