[comp.sys.cbm] 1581 ROM Upgrade?

randy@athena.mit.edu (Randall W Winchester) (10/29/90)

I'm hoping Fred Bowen or someone else at Commodore might read this and
have the scoop on this.  Lately, there's been some discussion on our
local BBS about a ROM upgrade for the 1581.  I knew about the WD
controller upgrade, but not about a ROM upgrade.  One of the folks who
mentioned this, a hardware developer, certainly knows the difference
between a controller and a ROM, but he also told me he had no idea
what the upgrade fixed, since he didn't have any problems before
replacing it, and didn't notice anything different after replacing it.

Is there anyone out there who can fill me in on this?

*  Randy Winchester  *  randy@mit.edu  *  PO Box 1074, Cambridge, MA  02142   *
* Avid C128 user and programmer.  Ask me about the C128 KeyDOS Function ROM.  *

fred@cbmvax.commodore.com (Fred Bowen) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct28.171030.16050@athena.mit.edu> randy@mit.edu writes:
>I'm hoping Fred Bowen or someone else at Commodore might read this and
>have the scoop on this.  Lately, there's been some discussion on our
>local BBS about a ROM upgrade for the 1581.  I knew about the WD
>controller upgrade, but not about a ROM upgrade.  One of the folks who
>mentioned this, a hardware developer, certainly knows the difference
>between a controller and a ROM, but he also told me he had no idea
>what the upgrade fixed, since he didn't have any problems before
>replacing it, and didn't notice anything different after replacing it.

There is no upgrade ROM for the 1581.  What has caused confusion among
some users is the existance of two part numbers for basically the same
thing: one an EPROM (p/n 318045-01) and the other a ROM (p/n 312558-01).
Both contain the exact same code.
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				domain:	fred@cbmvax.commodore.com
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380