[comp.sys.cbm] Advice on Modem Connection?

nms@cbnewsh.att.com (n.m.scribner) (10/31/90)

I need some elementary information about connecting a modem
to a C64.  I have a Hayes compatible 110 - 2400 BAUD type
modem with a 25 pin RS232C plug for the computer connection.

Where do I get (or how do I make) the connection between the C64
and the modem.  I plan to use it for a simple BBS application,
so the arrangement needs to support auto-answer.

Thanks for any help.
Neal Scribner (nms@homxb.att.com)

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct31.050920.15410@cbnewsh.att.com> nms@cbnewsh.att.com (n.m.scribner) writes:
>I need some elementary information about connecting a modem
>to a C64.  I have a Hayes compatible 110 - 2400 BAUD type
>modem with a 25 pin RS232C plug for the computer connection.
>
>Where do I get (or how do I make) the connection between the C64
>and the modem.  I plan to use it for a simple BBS application,
>so the arrangement needs to support auto-answer.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>Neal Scribner (nms@homxb.att.com)

You need an RS232 interface.  It is a device that plugs into the user port
and has a 25-pin female socket on the other end.  Several companies sell
them, including Omnitronics and Aprotek.

Nick Rossi           celebrating Smogfest '90
Harvey Mudd College  in Claremont, California

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (11/01/90)

You need an RS232C interface card for your 64.  I have used the OmniTronix
model for sevrel years and it works very good.  I personally like the
Omnitronix model over the others because of its user-configurable
data flow.  Mine has a bunch of jumppers in it, but I have seen other that
have cut/solder pad type.  If your goind to run a BBS you will want to
be sure that gets one that supports DTR, CD, and be abel to 'invert'
either of those signals via hardware.

ctfm