[comp.sys.cbm] 1541 in dry cleaning mode

s887212@minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Stephen Riehm [Romulis]) (10/23/90)

Just recently (about a week ago) My old style 1541 (which hasnt faulted in
the last 6 years I might add) decided to take a holiday, when I turn it on
it now spins relentlessly, and the red light stays on as if to say "go away
I am busy". I had a problem similar to this a while back where the daisy
chain I was running was so long that it was holding the reset line low (and
hence the thing never booted) but I connected a second drive to the chain
and it worked fine... any hints/suggestions/owners of large sledge hammers????

much thanx in advance.
Romulis [Stephen Riehm]	            Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
					       (124 Latrobe St., Melbourne.)
s887212@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au					   Australia.

@>---`--,--( Still Stuck on the wrong side of the deep pink sea )--.--'---<@
======================< Insert Usual Disclaimer >===========================

c8923075@frey.nu.oz.au (Chris Baird) (10/24/90)

s887212@minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Stephen Riehm [Romulis]) writes:

>Just recently (about a week ago) My old style 1541 (which hasnt faulted in
>the last 6 years I might add) decided to take a holiday, when I turn it on
>it now spins relentlessly, and the red light stays on as if to say "go away
>I am busy"....

	Most likely your bridge rectifier has snuffed it (same thing happened
to my 6 year old drive earlier this year). Apparently the power supply doesn't
reach the level to enable the Reset circuitry, and the LED and Drive motor
say enabled (0=on, ect). Just go down to the local electronics shop (or find
a friend in Electronics Engineering Dept.) and get a replacment bridge
(Not sure on the specs, mains rated at least)

Pink Sea?

--
              Chris Baird
  Undergrad BSc(Physics) @ Newcastle Uni (OZ!)

yanoff@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Scott `The_Edge` Yanoff) (11/06/90)

I had the same thing happen to my 1541 about 3 years ago....I believeit
was the voltage regulator that they
fixed...
-Scott

--