[comp.sys.cbm] 1581 Disk Drive?

nms@cbnewsh.att.com (n.m.scribner) (11/08/90)

What is a 1581 Disk Drive and what is it good for?

My youngster wants to add another disk drive to
our simple C64 + 1 1541 drive system.  He has suggested
a "1581", because it has much higher density than the
1541.  He has also said that CBM has discontinued their
manufacture because of low demand.

Is a 1581 a good bet if we can find one?  To what extent
will it be compatible with older software or the 1541 we
already have.  For instance, some of our (antique)
disk copying and editing routintes rely on knowing
the number of blocks/sector, etc.  Does anyone know
why CBM discontinued manufacture (if they did) ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Neal Scribner (nms@homxb.att.com)

sd05@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Sylvain Tremblay / Eric Trepanier) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov8.142924.17304@cbnewsh.att.com> nms@cbnewsh.att.com (n.m.scribner) writes:

>Is a 1581 a good bet if we can find one?  To what extent
>will it be compatible with older software or the 1541 we
>already have.  For instance, some of our (antique)
>disk copying and editing routintes rely on knowing
>the number of blocks/sector, etc.  Does anyone know
>why CBM discontinued manufacture (if they did) ?
>
>Any advice would be appreciated.
>
>Neal Scribner (nms@homxb.att.com)

I have a 1581 disk drive, and I'm quite proud of it.  If you are a programmer,
have needs for a high capacity device (for a big database, or a BBS), or if
you make much use of GEOS, then you are sure to appreciate the virtues of a
3 1/2' disk drive like the 1581.  It works much like a 1541, but it's root
directory is located on track 40.  Programs wich expect the directory to be
on track 18 won't work.  One nice advantage of the 1581 is that it supports
partitionning.  This is like the subdirectories on MS-DOS, except that MS-DOS's
directories are only logical, they have no pre-assigned size.  The 1581
creates fixed-size partitions, wich may then be formatted in sub-directories.

In 128 mode, or under GEOS, the 1581 is quite fast indeed.  But in 64 mode,
I think it's actually slower than a 1541, unless you have a speeding cartridge
that supports it.  Some software fast-loaders also support it, there's even one
from CBM (!) included on the demo disk.  Another advantage of the 1581 is
that it uses MFM disk format, instead of CBM's GCR.  What this means is that
with the proper software, you can use your 1581 to read/write to/from MS-DOS
disk.  Such software is available on both the 64/128.

All of this is very nice, but if all you do is play games then you have no need
for it...  Keep in mind that most (if not all) protected software WILL NOT RUN
from a 3 1/2' disk, although most programs will accept the 1581 as a storage
device.

My opinion is that the 1581 is a good, reliable (much more reliable than the
old 1541) disk drive, intended for programmers or power users.

I wasn't aware that CBM had stopped manufacturing it, but it doesn't really
surprise me, and it doesn't change my opinion either.
It's pretty obvious that the ever-growing market for Amigas is much more
attractive than the market for old 8bits machines, and I can't really blame
Commodore for there decision.  It's just getting difficult for us 8bitters
to get some hardware.  Fortunately, there are still some hardware manufacturers
who believe in the 64/128 market.

I hope all this makes some sense to you!

Sincerely,
Eric Trepanier

--
+-----------------------------------------------------------------///------+
|  Sylvain Tremblay        INTERNET: sd05@terre.USherb.CA    __  ///   /|  |

randy@athena.mit.edu (Randall W Winchester) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov9.020341.29744@DMI.USherb.CA>
sd05@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Sylvain Tremblay / Eric Trepanier) writes:

>In article <1990Nov8.142924.17304@cbnewsh.att.com>
nms@cbnewsh.att.com (n.m.scribner) writes:

>>Is a 1581 a good bet if we can find one?  To what extent
>>will it be compatible with older software or the 1541 we
>>already have.  For instance, some of our (antique)
>>disk copying and editing routintes rely on knowing
>>the number of blocks/sector, etc.
>>
>>Any advice would be appreciated.

>It works much like a 1541, but it's root directory is located on
>track 40.  Programs wich expect the directory to be on track 18 won't
>work.  One nice advantage of the 1581 is that it supports
>partitionning.  This is like the subdirectories on MS-DOS, except that
>MS-DOS's directories are only logical, they have no pre-assigned size.
>The 1581 creates fixed-size partitions, wich may then be formatted in
>sub-directories.

There is a neat and simple hack that can fool some software which
expects a track 18 directory into working with a 1581, and
subdirectories are part of it.  Simply partition off tracks 1 through
35 and format it as a subdirectory.  Transfer each sector from the
1541 disk to the same track/sector on the 1581 disk.  You'll end up
with a directory on track 18.  You can then copy the boot program (or
whatever program is first run) to the root (main directory) partition.
I have a copy of the old classic "Sky Travel" which was modified this
way and copied onto a 1581 disk.  It works great.

I agree with Eric.  The 1581 is a fine piece of equipment.  I have two
of them and they are quickly replacing my 1571s for the most part.

*  Randy Winchester  *  randy@mit.edu  *  PO Box 1074, Cambridge, MA  02142   *
* "It looks ok on the screen, but everything comes out in lower case on the   *
* printer.  Hold?  Uh, sure . . ." - ee cummings's last customer service call *