[comp.sys.cbm] NX1000C Problems

MLADAIR@MTUS5.BITNET (Matt Adair) (11/13/90)

I am having a problem with my Star NX1000C printer.
The printer  I have is an older version, its ROM on the inside has a
sticker on saying it is V1.0.  My problem is that every once and a while
when I am printing, the printer 'binds' up.  It will print a line and
then get caught on the right side.  When this happens, the bell sounds
and it sounds like gears are grinding, the it will partially shut down.
The first time it happened, I was using GEOS 128 V2.0 with the NX1000 Rainbow
printer driver.  I thought perhaps it was the driver, so now I am using the
NX1000SuperDriver.  Unfortunately, it started acting up in other programs too.
It usually binds in the same spot of whatever I try to print.  The only
thing I can think of is that it possibly needs a new ROM.  My roomate has
the same printer with V1.3 and has never had any problems printing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  By the way, does anyone know the
number for STAR technical support?

Thanks in advance,
Matt Adair
"Postage will be paid by addressee"    |      CCC   C  =====
Internet:  MLADAIR@MTUS5.CTS.MTU.EDU   |      CCC   C  =====
Bitnet: MLADAIR@MTUS5.BITNET           |       CCCCC   =======

bbrewer@boulder.ColoState.EDU (Robert Brewer) (11/14/90)

In article <90316.194938MLADAIR@MTUS5.BITNET> MLADAIR@MTUS5.BITNET (Matt Adair) writes:
>I am having a problem with my Star NX1000C printer.
>The printer  I have is an older version, its ROM on the inside has a
>sticker on saying it is V1.0.
>                                       |      CC       ===
>Internet:  MLADAIR@MTUS5.CTS.MTU.EDU   |      CCC   C  =====
>Bitnet: MLADAIR@MTUS5.BITNET           |       CCCCC   =======

   Hi Matt. I am answering on the board because there may be other s this
   this problem. I had the same problem with my SG10c a few years back.
   I could not access the different fonts (italics, bold, etc) with addresses
   from my word processor.

   I wrote the Star Corporation at the address in my users manual. I received
   a reply in the mail that offered me new rom chips at no charge! I wrote
   off for the chips, got them within 2 weeks with instructions for changeing
   them myself. I changed them and sent the old ones back as requested.

   My printer is better than new.

   Try writing Star. My guess is that when they built the series of printers
   that were Commodore compatible, they put t the rom chips together in a
   hurry and forgot some things. They are very nice (or at least they were
   in my case) about such things.

   Hope this helps.
   Bob

| Bob Brewer, Instructor of Low Brass and Music Education                    |
| Director, Jazz Studies and the CSU Jazz Orchestra                          |
| Department of Music, Theatre and Dance                                     |
| Colorado State University at Fort Collins                                  |
| Office phone: 303-491-6957                                                 |
| Internet address: bbrewer@lamar.ColoState.EDU                              |