[comp.sys.cbm] ftp for c128/c64

xvj@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sean Ahern) (11/08/90)

I was able to ftp some files from a couple ftp's that people mailed to me,
but I have a serious problem.  Once I download them onto disk on my
c64, the files refuse to run properly.

I made sure that my file transfer system was set to receive a binary file
(rather than ascii), and it DOES save as a PRG file.

But, once the file completely arrives and I attempt to run it, it just turns
the background and the border black and the character color white and locks
the computer.  Ever file I download has this same effect.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

I would also like to know how to test the file transfer system.  I would like
to write a short (2-3 line) program, upload it to the ftp, and then
ownload it again, and compare the results.  But I don't know how to send
things to the ftp.  (Plus, sending a test program to a public domain software
site is bound to make someone angry.)

Any help people can give me would be greatly appreciated.

--
Sean Ahern			|	Witty signature coming
Purdue University		|	      to a news

treesh@ircsun1.helios.nd.edu (11/12/90)

What did you use to get your files from your local (unix?) home direcotry to
your commodore?  I assume you must have used a modem, but what kind of protocol
did you use to make the transfer?  (kermit?)

Im working on using Xmodem 1K to make the transfers to the commdore 128/64
systems, but so far I have not had any luck.

ctfm

n8941063@unicorn.wwu.edu (stevens charles a) (11/14/90)

In article <683@news.nd.edu> treesh@ircsun1.helios.nd.edu writes:
>What did you use to get your files from your local (unix?) home direcotry to
>your commodore?  I assume you must have used a modem, but what kind of protocol
>did you use to make the transfer?  (kermit?)
>
>Im working on using Xmodem 1K to make the transfers to the commdore 128/64
>systems, but so far I have not had any luck.
>
>ctfm

    Kermit v2.2 for the C64/C128, by Dr. Evil Labs.  VT100 (and a bit of VT102)
emulation.  And if you use a 128, the program can use the 128's 80 column
screen, even though the program runs in 64 mode.  (How?)

    The program is public domain.

                                       ...Chaz...

pm0@springs.cis.ufl.edu (Patrick Martin) (11/18/90)

In article <683@news.nd.edu> treesh@ircsun1.helios.nd.edu writes:
>What did you use to get your files from your local (unix?) home direcotry to
>your commodore?  I assume you must have used a modem, but what kind of protocol
>did you use to make the transfer?  (kermit?)
>
>Im working on using Xmodem 1K to make the transfers to the commdore 128/64
>systems, but so far I have not had any luck.
>
>ctfm

I use xmodem on our system.  Try doing man xmodem on your system.  If I wanted to
to download a file named  'file1' I would type the following:

xmodem sb file1   <<short for xmodem send binary file1>>

the rb command is used for uploading to the unix << short for receive binary>>

Pat