[comp.sys.cbm] Easy REU upgrade??

XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET (11/18/90)

I'm sorry that I don't remember who made the post, but I recently read in this
newsgroup that a Commodore Ram Expansion Unit may be easily upgraded by
simply popping the case apart and popping in additional memory in the form of
"cheap" DRAM chips.

This sounds too good to be true, so I am asking for more details to any of
you who may be familiar with the procedure.  If this is true:
   Which DRAM chips would you use for an REU 1764 to take it to 512K or above?
   Where does one find a good source for said chips?
   How do you get the case apart without trashing it?
   Will sockets be required or are there sockets already on board?
   If it is so cheap and easy, why all the fuss about 1750 REU's and their
      lack of availability?
   If it is so cheap and easy, why does Software Support International want
      $125 to UPGRADE a 1764 REU that you send in?!
   Once the upgrade is made, is there software available to make the extra
      memory useful; specifically, is there softwart available to allow GEOS
      to use all 512K?
...There are more questions I could ask, but...

On a related topic, has anyone seen or tried the new RAM expansion devices by
CMD.  It looks as though they have figured a way to use SIMMs rather than the
traditional DRAM architecture.  Any comments?  I am interested in the RAMLink
and am wondering just what its advantages really are.  How can you get a C64 to
 take advantage of over 4Mb of RAM?

Thanks in advance for tech answers about REU upgrades.

Kirk A. Janowiak
XWUU@PURCCVM

bhelf@m11-116-2.MIT.EDU (Bill Helfinstine) (11/19/90)

In article <90321.214606XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET> XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET writes:
>I'm sorry that I don't remember who made the post, but I recently read in this
>newsgroup that a Commodore Ram Expansion Unit may be easily upgraded by
>simply popping the case apart and popping in additional memory in the form of
>"cheap" DRAM chips.
>
>This sounds too good to be true, so I am asking for more details to any of
>you who may be familiar with the procedure.  If this is true:
>   Which DRAM chips would you use for an REU 1764 to take it to 512K or above?

	 The DRAMs to use are 41256 chips, 256Kx1 DRAMS.

>   Where does one find a good source for said chips?

	They are available through mail order from lots of places.  Jameco
	Electronics and JDR Microdevices both have them, or check the
	_Computer Shopper_ for better deals.

>   How do you get the case apart without trashing it?

	Very, very carefully.  I didn't manage it and it is now held
	together with tape.  You have to pry all four corners straight up.
	Any bending at all will make the plastic posts break.

>   Will sockets be required or are there sockets already on board?

	You will need to put in sockets, or solder the DRAMs in
	directly (Don't do this!!!)  Just clean the solder out of the
	empty pads with desoldering braid or a vacuum bulb, solder in
	sockets, and plug in the chips.  That's all there is to it.

>   If it is so cheap and easy, why all the fuss about 1750 REU's and their
>      lack of availability?

	People don't want to muck around in their expensive computer
	hardware, and would prefer someone with some experience to do
	it.  Remember, most people who use Commodores aren't electronics
	hackers.

>   If it is so cheap and easy, why does Software Support International want
>      $125 to UPGRADE a 1764 REU that you send in?!

	Because people will pay it.

>   Once the upgrade is made, is there software available to make the extra
>      memory useful; specifically, is there software available to allow GEOS
>      to use all 512K?

	GEOS 2.0 can use a 512K REU as a RAM 1571.  This won't be all 512K,
	but it is so much better than a RAM 1541 that I can't complain.

>...There are more questions I could ask, but...
>
>On a related topic, has anyone seen or tried the new RAM expansion devices by
>CMD.  It looks as though they have figured a way to use SIMMs rather than the
>traditional DRAM architecture.  Any comments?  I am interested in the RAMLink
>and am wondering just what its advantages really are.  How can you get a C64
> to take advantage of over 4Mb of RAM?

	I don't know anything about RAMLink or what it really does, other
	than add RAM and connect to CMD hard drives through a parallel port.

>Thanks in advance for tech answers about REU upgrades.
>
>Kirk A. Janowiak
>XWUU@PURCCVM

Bill Helfinstine
bhelf@athena.mit.edu

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (11/26/90)

I can vouch for the simplicity of the up grade of a 1700/1764 REU to the
equivilnt of the 1750.  You will see a jumper that needs to be cut if youy
have the 1700 unit.  Im not sure if it needs to be cut for 1764.

I use my Ramex as a high-speed ram disk.  Im currenly working on with the
C128 BBS program called Cnet.  My goal is to put a file into the RAM so
that the downloading speed will increase.  Using a G-modem protocol with
2400 MNP shoud prove a cost effective high speed data transfer from a
rather slow machine!

ctfm