[comp.sys.cbm] Word Processors for C64

XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET (11/21/90)

I tried to e-mail Barry Gow with this response, but got bounced.
Here are some popular "modern" word processors that many folks are using on
the venerable C64.  Note that many WP's come with lots of extras these days.
Some of the stuff you see in expensive PC packages (like spell checkers, disk
utilities, multiple fonts, etc.) is showing up in the latest versions of the
better programs, yet the cost is still usually under $50.

  1. geoWrite (a part of the GEOS package and my personal favorite) v2.0 has
        a street price of around $45.  Not the fastest, but one of the best!

  2. Paperclip III (street price $35-$40) is there a vIV?

  3. Fontmaster II by Xetec ($35-$45) mutiple fonts, etc.

  4. Word Writer 5 by Timeworks ($25-$30)

Another to consider is the time proven Speedscript by the COMPUTE! people.
Anyone know the current status of this package? Does it now have a spell
checker, etc?

Kirk A. Janowiak,
XWUU@PURCCVM

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (11/25/90)

 >From: XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET

 >  2. Paperclip III (street price $35-$40) is there a vIV?

   No, nor do I expect one (at least, not from the original author).

   While I'm at it, I should mention that PaperClip III comes in a C128
version (last time I checked, EA put C64 and C128 versions together) that is
much more comfortable to use, especially if you have an 80-column monitor, an
REU, or a 1571 or 1581.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Bud 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

arpepper@aftermath.waterloo.edu (Adrian Pepper) (11/27/90)

In article <5380.274F5A98@zswamp.fidonet.org> root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:
> >From: XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET
>
> >  2. Paperclip III (street price $35-$40) is there a vIV?
>
>   No, nor do I expect one (at least, not from the original author).
>
>   While I'm at it, I should mention that PaperClip III comes in a C128
>version (last time I checked, EA put C64 and C128 versions together) that is
>much more comfortable to use, especially if you have an 80-column monitor, an
>REU, or a 1571 or 1581.

Paperclip III on the C64 is silly.  I got mine for $15US in the upgrade
offer, for which they required I send in the nifty cover from my
original Paperclip Manual 8-(

Anyway, Paperclip III was designed for C128, with the result that in
C64 mode it has no memory left for a decent-sized document.

A big selling point of Paperclip III was that it was neither disk nor
dongle-protected.  I would have rather they sent me such a version of
my original version (Paperclip II-D, I believe), which I used happily
for several years, although always fearful that one day the dongle
would be lost or stop functioning.

Adrian.

sn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steve Neas) (11/27/90)

>Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.cbm: 21-Nov-90 Word Processors for C64
>XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET (942)
>
>Another to consider is the time proven Speedscript by the COMPUTE! people.
>Anyone know the current status of this package? Does it now have a spell
>checker, etc?

I know it's up to V3.2, maybe higher by now.  Between Compute and
Compute's Gazette, they've probably covered almost any utilities for it that
you could ever need.  Spellchecker being one of them.  I use Speedscript
for most of my typing, and the price can't be beat.

-Steve-
sn15@andrew.cmu.edu

brockman@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Matt Brockman) (11/27/90)

Does anyone know if Berkeley plans to
update GEOS soon? As far as I know it's
up to v2.0 so far.

-Matt Brockman

bbrewer@boulder.ColoState.EDU (Robert Brewer) (11/27/90)

In article <4bIMJHW00VpJ8BVl8d@andrew.cmu.edu> sn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steve Neas) writes:
>>Another to consider is the time proven Speedscript by the COMPUTE! people.
>>Anyone know the current status of this package? Does it now have a spell
>>checker, etc?
>
>I know it's up to V3.2, maybe higher by now.  Between Compute and
>Compute's Gazette, they've probably covered almost any utilities for it that
>you could ever need.  Spellchecker being one of them.  I use Speedscript
>for most of my typing, and the price can't be beat.

   You're right, Steve. I used SpeedScript from the time it was first printed
   in CG. I typed in the first version myself. I used it until I went back
   to Grad School and needed something better. I tried several and finally
   settled on Word Writer. V3 had several bugs, but was much better than
   I had been used to. I now use V5 which just came in the mail last week.
   This version has several fonts and usable graphix which can be incorporated
   into the text. It is very similar to Word Perfect for IBM, but understand-
   ably not quite as sophisticated. In addition to the spell checker, an
   on line thesaurus is available. Comes in handy when you are writing
   heavy duty papers. I am currently using WW5 to write my dissertation in
   music at the University of Illinois.

| Bob Brewer, Instructor of Low Brass and Music Education                    |
| Director, Jazz Studies and the CSU Jazz Orchestra                          |
| Department of Music, Theatre and Dance                                     |
| Colorado State University at Fort Collins                                  |
| Office phone: 303-491-6957                                                 |
| Internet address: bbrewer@lamar.ColoState.EDU                              |