[comp.sys.cbm] 1581 or 1750?

hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (11/28/90)

Okay, here's a question. Say you had a 128 with one 1571 and you had to choose
between adding a 1581 or a 1750 to your system. Which would you pick, and why?

rknop@iago.caltech.edu (Knop, Robert Andrew) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.133838.1179@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>,
         hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes...
>Okay, here's a question. Say you had a 128 with one 1571 and you had to choose
>between adding a 1581 or a 1750 to your system. Which would you pick, and why?

Assuming that "both" isn't a valid answer, I'd go for the 1750, because I use
GEOS.

-Rob Knop
rknop@juliet.caltech.edu

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.133838.1179@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Okay, here's a question. Say you had a 128 with one 1571 and you had to choose
>between adding a 1581 or a 1750 to your system. Which would you pick, and why?

The 1581 is a neat device, but only a novelty in my opinion.  I would
buy it if I had a need to store a large amount of data in a small space.
3.5 floppies sure are more convenient than 5.25.

I had this choice to make, and I bout the 1750.  Not only does it make
GEOS scream (fast fast!!) but it also can be used for more purposes than
as a RAM disk.  Many software will use it as a fast cache for many
purposes.  Paper Clip III for instance will use it to hold the entire
spelling dictionary for on-line real-time spell checking.  (Wow!)
Beyond Zork will use it to reduce disk access, as will many other
programs.  And of course, GEOS uses it so much that once you remove it,
you miss it immediately.

mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.000417.9776@nntp-server.caltech.edu>
rknop@iago.caltech.edu writes:
>In article <1990Nov27.133838.1179@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>,
>         hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes...
>>Okay, here's a question. Say you had a 128 with one 1571 and you had to choose
>>between adding a 1581 or a 1750 to your system. Which would you pick, and why?
>
>Assuming that "both" isn't a valid answer, I'd go for the 1750, because I use
>GEOS.

     Both this poster and one other indicated that they would choose the
1750.  While that might be my choice too, it depends on what types of
work the original poster does most with his computer.  Does he even use
GEOS?  (If the answer is no, depending on what other software he uses,
the 1581 might be a better choice.)  Does he maintain large databases?
(If he does, again the 1581 might be a better choice.)  If the original
poster will tell us what he uses or plans to use his computer for,
perhaps we can be of further assistance.

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

sd05@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Sylvain Tremblay / Eric Trepanier) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov27.133838.1179@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Okay, here's a question. Say you had a 128 with one 1571 and you had to choose
>between adding a 1581 or a 1750 to your system. Which would you pick, and why?

Personnally, I have both of them.  If you use GEOS A LOT, maybe you should get
a REU, but if you're not such a big GEOS fan, then undeniably, you will have
more use for a 1581.  I know that if I had to choose, I would rather keep my
1581, I use it a lot more.  It's fast, reliable, and much more compatible
with most software than the REU will ever be...

Of course, this is only my opinion.

Eric Trepanier

--
|  Sylvain Tremblay        INTERNET: sd05@terre.USherb.CA    __  ///   /|  |