[comp.sys.cbm] Need help with a 1541

Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) (11/28/90)

Hello all. I have a 1541 drive that I am having troubles with, and was
wondering if anyone can give me a hand with it.

This is the original 1541 (not the -C or -II models). When I turn it on,
the 'in use' LED just keeps glowing, and the head doesnt do its usual
banging routine.

Thru BASIC, I try: OPEN 15,8,15 and PRINT #15,"I" and we just keep sitting
there. The 'in use' LED still glows, but nothing happens.

Basiclly, the thing is dead:-)

I replaced some of the support chips inside the unit, specificly the
6502 and the two 6522s. I dont have any of the ROMs to try out. Can
someone lend a hand?

With great thanx!

Billy D'Augustine
Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com

PS: Please reply via mail, as I dont read this newsgroup regluarly

xvj@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sean Ahern) (11/29/90)

In article <36289@cup.portal.com> Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) writes:
>This is the original 1541 (not the -C or -II models). When I turn it on,
>the 'in use' LED just keeps glowing, and the head doesnt do its usual
>banging routine.
>
>Basiclly, the thing is dead:-)
>
>PS: Please reply via mail, as I dont read this newsgroup regluarly

Would anyone helping this guy out be so kind as to send a copy of the help
you send him to me.  I have the same problem and I can't seem to fix it.

Thanks too!

---
Sean Ahern               \     ///====\\\   ///   //|| 's will outperform a
Purdue University         \    |||         ///   // ||    CGA 8088 in all
xvj@mentor.cc.purdue.edu   \   |||         |||\\ ===== aspects of computing.
ahernsd@sage.cc.pudrue.edu  \  \\\====///  \\\//    ||     Bite, Nov 1990
--
Sean Ahern               \     ///====\\\   ///   //|| 's will outperform a
Purdue University         \    |||         ///   // ||    CGA 8088 in all
xvj@mentor.cc.purdue.edu   \   |||         |||\\ ===== aspects of computing.
ahernsd@sage.cc.pudrue.edu  \  \\\====///  \\\//    ||     Bite, Nov 1990

treesh@ircsun1.helios.nd.edu (12/03/90)

Try to replace the full-wave rectifier bridge for the +5 volt power supply.  Chances are its weak, and cant generate enough voltage to hold the RES line high,
thus keeping the 6502 in a RESET condition.

ctfm