[comp.sys.cbm] novaterm v9.1 question

JMHAAS@MTUS5.BITNET (Elezar) (12/04/90)

I've managed to obtain the novaterm v9.1 program via ftp.  I works great
but I've a small problem.  There seems to be no setting to change the
parity.  8N1 works great for bbs's, but the computer systems around here
all use 7E1..  Any help?

|-={ Elezar, last Wizard of Xandurae | Dekhion, keeper of the Three }=-|
|-={ jmhaas@MTUS5 == mtus5.bitnet == mtus5.cts.mtu.edu              }=-|
|-={ jmhaas@balance.cs.mtu.edu                         "Per Aspira  }=-|
|-={ Warning: Magic is real, unless defined integer.    ad Astral!" }=-|

MLADAIR@MTUS5.BITNET (Phantom) (12/04/90)

I have had the same problems with v9.1.  According to the docs, when you
use the right combination of ASCII table and terminal emulation
(or whatever!), Novaterm will now take care of parity and word-lenth
automagically.  I have tried every combination I can think of however
and have had absolutely no luck at all.
                                          - Matt Adair

Internet:  mladair@mtus5.cts.mtu.edu
Bitnet: MLADAIR@MTUS5.BITNET

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) (12/08/90)

In article <90337.150308JMHAAS@MTUS5.BITNET> JMHAAS@MTUS5.BITNET (Elezar) writes:
>I've managed to obtain the novaterm v9.1 program via ftp.  I works great
>but I've a small problem.  There seems to be no setting to change the
>parity.  8N1 works great for bbs's, but the computer systems around here
>all use 7E1..  Any help?

This has been a problem for others as well.  In version 9.2 (which I am
working on now) I have added a 7 bit and even/odd parity option.  The reason
the transfers didn't take care of the problem completely is because data sent
by Novaterm is not in the 7 bit and whatever parity form.  Novaterm could
care less about the word length and parity of received data, so sending data
is what I fixed.

>|-={ Elezar, last Wizard of Xandurae | Dekhion, keeper of the Three }=-|
>|-={ jmhaas@MTUS5 == mtus5.bitnet == mtus5.cts.mtu.edu              }=-|
>|-={ jmhaas@balance.cs.mtu.edu                         "Per Aspira  }=-|
>|-={ Warning: Magic is real, unless defined integer.    ad Astral!" }=-|

Nick Rossi, '93      celebrating Smogfest '90 |
Harvey Mudd College  in Claremont, California |