[comp.sys.cbm] Kermit v2.21?

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (12/11/90)

In article <90344.132642JMHAAS@MTUS5.BITNET> JMHAAS@MTUS5.BITNET (Elezar) writes:
>[...]  A fix to allow kermit65 to work at 2400 baud with no
>problem is available at milton.u.washington.edu via ftp.  I'm working on
>a ml loader for the thing.  [...]  Mainframe connections
>with the new version will have to wait until you can change to 7E1.

I have written a 2400 patch for Kermit 2.2 that allows 2400 baud and
Odd/Even parity, if desired.  If anyone wants, I can SDA it and put it
on an FTP site somewhere (as Kermit 2.21, maybe?)

(And yes, I *do* post too much!)

bbrewer@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Robert Brewer) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec11.034039.17291@evax.arl.utexas.edu> cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) writes:

>I have written a 2400 patch for Kermit 2.2 that allows 2400 baud and
>Odd/Even parity, if desired.  If anyone wants, I can SDA it and put it
>on an FTP site somewhere (as Kermit 2.21, maybe?)
>
>(And yes, I *do* post too much!)

  Will Kermit 2.2 download to drive 9? I like to download .sda files there.
  Then when they disolve, they store themselves on drive 8 and I still have
  the original version to upload somewhere else if the program is good.

  I have tried to download with xmodem off of my system, but 8 bit Commodore
  programs will not travel well over 7 bit data paths. Kermit solves this
  problem.

   Thanks,
   Bob

|-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|
| Bob Brewer, Instructor of Low Brass and Music Education                    |
| Director, Jazz Studies and the CSU Jazz Orchestra                          |
| Department of Music, Theatre and Dance                                     |
| Colorado State University at Fort Collins                                  |
| Office phone: 303-491-6957                                                 |
| Internet address: bbrewer@lamar.ColoState.EDU                              |
|=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec11.034039.17291@evax.arl.utexas.edu> cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) writes:
>In article <90344.132642JMHAAS@MTUS5.BITNET> JMHAAS@MTUS5.BITNET (Elezar) writes:
>>[...]  A fix to allow kermit65 to work at 2400 baud with no
>>problem is available at milton.u.washington.edu via ftp.  I'm working on
>>a ml loader for the thing.  [...]  Mainframe connections
>>with the new version will have to wait until you can change to 7E1.
>
>I have written a 2400 patch for Kermit 2.2 that allows 2400 baud and
>Odd/Even parity, if desired.  If anyone wants, I can SDA it and put it
>on an FTP site somewhere (as Kermit 2.21, maybe?)
>
>(And yes, I *do* post too much!)

I think you may run into some problems trying to use Kermit at 2400 baud.
It won't be because of the RS232 routines if you have the patch.  But the
80 column screen drivers are such that the screen scroll takes too much
time, and it doesn't take long before the receive buffer overflows and data
is lost.  This happens with Novaterm as well.  It's not possible to optimize
the scrolling algorithm so it's fast enough to keep up.  What is needed is
completely different screen drivers for 80 columns.  There is an effort being
made to this end as we speak...

Nick Rossi, '93     | "That's nasty, Wyatt..."
Harvey Mudd College | "That's Chet, Gary!"

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (12/13/90)

In article <10098@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) writes:
>I think you may run into some problems trying to use Kermit at 2400 baud.
>It won't be because of the RS232 routines if you have the patch.  But the
>80 column screen drivers are such that the screen scroll takes too much
>time, and it doesn't take long before the receive buffer overflows and data
>is lost.

I have not run into this problem with Kermit 2.2, perhaps because I
believe Kermit uses XON-XOFF flow control to keep the sender from
sending too fast.  Of course, I could be wrong, but I have not seen
Kermit lose data.