[comp.sys.cbm] Machines that never saw the light of day

cyaa01@mixcom.UUCP (Chris Klausmeier) (12/03/90)

Ahhh... it's really pickng up in here!

I've seen articles about these "new" CBM computers in some old
Transactors. Could anyone give some vital stats on these things, if they
were even produced, any trivial facts on them, etc.

o CBM LCD Laptop
o Some Z8000 based machine
o SFS-484 (not an SFD, at least I don't think so)
o 1551
o 364

Are there any other machines that Commodore was going to release but
scrapped? Enquiring minds want to know! Thanks!
--
[] Chris Klausmeier -- cyaa01@mixcom.UUCP []
[] if I could wave my magic wand... [][][][]

onymouse@netcom.UUCP (John Debert) (12/03/90)

From article <61@mixcom.UUCP>, by cyaa01@mixcom.UUCP (Chris Klausmeier):

> Ahhh... it's really pickng up in here!
>
> I've seen articles about these "new" CBM computers in some old
> Transactors. Could anyone give some vital stats on these things, if they
> were even produced, any trivial facts on them, etc.
>
> o 1551

 THis was apparently actually produced by CBM but never were sold in
 North America. Probably couldn't pass FCC part 15 or DOC regs.
 It is designed for use with the Plus/4 and features DMA and fast access. It
 plugged into the expansion port of the Plus/4, which has a non-standard
 edge connector - 44 or 50 pin ( I forget which) on 0.75-inch centers.

 I would like to find one, or, at the very least, a service and/or technical
 manual. Commodore, typically, is most uncooperative.
> Are there any other machines that Commodore was going to release but
> scrapped? Enquiring minds want to know! Thanks!
> --
 I seem to recall that CBM was working on a new version of the C64 (not the
 64C) with some enhanced capabilities (and not the 128, either) but that
 was apparently dropped also, for some reason.

jd
onymouse@netcom.UUCP

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (12/03/90)

John Debert (onymouse@netcom.UUCP ) wrote:

 >From article <61@mixcom.UUCP>, by cyaa01@mixcom.UUCP (Chris
 >Klausmeier):
> Are there any other machines that Commodore was going to release but
> scrapped? Enquiring minds want to know! Thanks!

 > I seem to recall that CBM was working on a new version of the C64
 >(not the
 > 64C) with some enhanced capabilities (and not the 128, either) but
 >that was apparently dropped also, for some reason.

   I asked Fred Bowen (head of engineering at Commodore and 'father' of the
C128) about that almost exactly a year ago, and he revealed that the folks at
Commodore had developed prototypes of C64 replacements at the rate of about one
a year, but that none was ever given the big go-ahead.

   I have recently heard rumours of further activity in that field, so I asked
Fred again this year. "No specific details" he replied, diplomatically.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Bud 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (12/03/90)

 >From article <61@mixcom.UUCP>, by cyaa01@mixcom.UUCP (Chris
 >Klausmeier):
> Are there any other machines that Commodore was going to release but
> scrapped? Enquiring minds want to know! Thanks!

   I believe that Commodore was at one time planning to release a VIC-40.

   Did anyone ever see a BX machine (a B machine with an 8088 coprocessor)?

   How about Commodore's 8" floppy drive (I've seen only one)?

   How about their Z8000 machine?

Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Bud 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

MORRISON@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu (You Know Who) (12/03/90)

Dont forget the 1572, a dual 1571.

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (12/04/90)

In article <17963@netcom.UUCP> onymouse@netcom.UUCP (John Debert) writes:
> I seem to recall that CBM was working on a new version of the C64 (not the
> 64C) with some enhanced capabilities (and not the 128, either) but that
> was apparently dropped also, for some reason.

I believe you're referring to the Commodore 256, which was to be some
sort of backward compatible C64 but with super high-res multi-colored
graphics and possibly extra sound capability.

Sort of what the Apple //gs is to the Apple ][.

Keith_Jeffrey_Kushner@cup.portal.com (12/04/90)

CBM LCD Laptop: 32K RAM, built-in ROM software, battery-powered, 16-line
80-column screen. Supposedly 128 compatible, save for the color commands.
No built-in drive, but there was a standard C= (Now _there's_ an oxymoron
for you) serial port, and a battery-powered 3.5" drive planned, but
never released. Or maybe it was supposed to be used with the then-unreleased
1581 drive.

1551 Drive: 1541/4040-format drive designed to work only with the Plus/4.
Plugged into the cartridge port and was parallel rather then serial.
Released only in Europe.

364: Well, let's take it from the top: the (1)64 was the Commodore 64,
the 264 was the Plus/4, and the 364 was an enhanced Plus/4 that was
never released. I believe it had better built-in software, a numeric
keypad, and a voice-synthesizer.

Commodore 128s: the (A)128 (or maybe 128A; I'm not sure how they named
them) was a 128K version of the C64 that was never released, though I've
seen ads for them. It had the VIC/C64 case. The B128 was a buggy
business system that was sold mostly by closeout merchants. It had an
80-column screen and an IEEE-488 interface. The C128 is the old flat-case
128 that was 64 and CP/M compatible. The D128 (128-D, now) is the one
with the built-in 1571.

dinn@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Dinn) (12/05/90)

In article <61@mixcom.UUCP> cyaa01@mixcom.UUCP (Chris Klausmeier) writes:
>o CBM LCD Laptop
I'd love to get one. Anyone know where I can?
>o Some Z8000 based machine
No info on this one...
>o SFS-484 (not an SFD, at least I don't think so)
This was a DMA disk drive for the C+4 and the C16. It went into the
expansion port, not the serial port...
>o 1551
It's a 1541 with a +4 colored case. No big deal there...
>o 364
This was a +4 with 256K of RAM. I'd like to see that... the +4 is nice for
BASIC, but mine has a blown chip. Oh well, maybe next time :-)

--
 Michael Dinn, Sysop of the Moose's Swamp - Nova Scotia's largest Amiga BBS
 +1 (902) 463-0483, 3/12/24/48/96/14,400 baud * 170 Megabytes online

mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec5.025316.592@cs.dal.ca> dinn@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Dinn)
writes:
>In article <61@mixcom.UUCP> cyaa01@mixcom.UUCP (Chris Klausmeier) writes:
>>o CBM LCD Laptop
>I'd love to get one. Anyone know where I can?

If the original poster means Commodore's laptop 286, it should be
available from any authorized Commodore dealer.

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

profesor@wpi.WPI.EDU (Matthew E Cross) (12/05/90)

Speaking of rare Commodore hardware, anyone ever seena Commodore watch?  My
parents got me one when I was in fourth grade (I'm a sophomore in college now-
figure it out yourself).  It was just a basic 'time/date/seconds' digital
watch, but I seem to remember it lasting for quite a while.  I might even still
have it at home.  It even had the 'C=' logo on it...

	-Matt
--
+-------------------------------------+--------------+------------------------+
| "The letter U has a lot of uses ... | Looking for  |  profesor@wpi.wpi.edu  |
|  I like to play it like a guitar!"  | suggestions  +------------------------+
|          -Sesame Street             | for new gweepco programs...           |

karl@cbmvax.commodore.com (Karl Herrman - CATS) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.131929.18601@wpi.WPI.EDU> profesor@wpi.WPI.EDU (Matthew E Cross) writes:
>Speaking of rare Commodore hardware, anyone ever seena Commodore watch?  My
>parents got me one when I was in fourth grade (I'm a sophomore in college now-
>figure it out yourself).  It was just a basic 'time/date/seconds' digital
>watch, but I seem to remember it lasting for quite a while.  I might even still
>have it at home.  It even had the 'C=' logo on it...

I had several.  C= made watches and calculators before it went into computers.

>	-Matt
>--
>+-------------------------------------+--------------+------------------------+
>| "The letter U has a lot of uses ... | Looking for  |  profesor@wpi.wpi.edu  |
>|  I like to play it like a guitar!"  | suggestions  +------------------------+
>|          -Sesame Street             | for new gweepco programs...           |

Karl Herrmann
C.A.T.S.

cyaa01@mixcom.UUCP (Chris Klausmeier) (12/06/90)

/ writes:
/
/ >I'd love to get one. Anyone know where I can?
/
/ If the original poster means Commodore's laptop 286, it should be
/ available from any authorized Commodore dealer.

No, I was talking about a machine that was similar to the old Commodore
8-bit line, like the PET's, the 64, etc. I didn't know that C= made an
IBM compatible laptop though.

/ 				Marc R. Roussel
/                                 mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

--
[] Chris Klausmeier -- cyaa01@mixcom.UUCP []
[] if I could wave my magic wand... [][][][]

cyaa01@mixcom.UUCP (Chris Klausmeier) (12/06/90)

Here are a few answers I dug up to my own questions. This is an excerpt
from _The Transactor_ Vol. 5 Issue 6 (May 1985)... I'm posting the Amiga
specific part to comp.sys.amiga too. They won't care about the other
stuff, but might get a kick out of the Amiga stuff.

News BRK

New 16-bit Commodores for 1985

Commodore plans to regain its position in the business market with three
new entries for 1985.

The much-rumored IBM compatible based on the Canadian Hyperion is slated
for introduction in the spring of 1985.

The first half of 1985 should also see the release of Commodore's
multi-tasking Z8000-based machine that was first seen in April 1984 at
the Hanover computer fair in West Germany. This machine will support
multiple users and run an operating system based on UNIX Version 7.

Probably the most exciting of the new machines will come from
Commodore's acquisition of Amega Corp. of Santa Clara, Calif. The
Amiga-derived Commodore is expected to be introduced at Chicago's
Consumer Electronics Show in June 1985. The machine will have a 68000
processor, as well as dedicated processors for animation, graphics, and
sound (including voice synthesis). Graphics are a strong point, with
super high resolution AND 32 colours from a palette of 3,000.

There's also the C128, a souped up 64 with 128K RAM and 80 column
monochrome or colour display output. A portable machine was also shown
to compete with the other LCD "lap-tops". For a more detailed report of
the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, see the February TPUG
magazine.

--

ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org (Lance Franklin) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.131929.18601@wpi.WPI.EDU> profesor@wpi.WPI.EDU (Matthew E Cross) writes:
}Speaking of rare Commodore hardware, anyone ever seena Commodore watch?  My
}parents got me one when I was in fourth grade (I'm a sophomore in college now-
}figure it out yourself).  It was just a basic 'time/date/seconds' digital
}watch, but I seem to remember it lasting for quite a while.  I might even still
}have it at home.  It even had the 'C=' logo on it...

I don't know about the watch, but I do have a Commodore calculator, the
MinuteMan * 3M (serial # 021601).  It's a nice little calculator with
9 LED 7seg digits, a memory and percent key, about the size of a pack
of cigarettes (100's) but an inch or so wider.  Even have the AC
adapter.  Perhaps we should put together some kind of museum?

Lance

--
Lance T. Franklin            +----------------------------------------------+
(ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org)   | "You want I should bop you with this here    |

dinn@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Dinn) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec5.052658.27878@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca> mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) writes:
>>>o CBM LCD Laptop
>If the original poster means Commodore's laptop 286, it should be
>available from any authorized Commodore dealer.

 This is the Commodore 8-bit LCD Laptop. It's a cross between a C64, C128,
and a Plus 4... 32K of RAM, and it lets you use a 1541... It has Basic 3.5
I think, and is a nice machine for what it was... or would have been :-)

 It's not CBM's DOS clone.. but if anyone wants to give me one of those,
I'll take it  :-)

 Anyone out there at all have a Commodore LCD 8-bit portable?

--
 Michael Dinn, Sysop of the Moose's Swamp - Nova Scotia's largest Amiga BBS
 +1 (902) 463-0483, 3/12/24/48/96/14,400 baud * 170 Megabytes online
 Full Internet/Bitnet subscribing to the BBS is available. Send mail.
 Home:   moose%swamp@tmpor.UUCP (Amiga1000/BBS) +--------------------------
 School: mdinn@ac.dal.ca, mdinn@dalac.bitnet    | These are my opinions and
 Work:   01Moose@ac.dal.ca, 01Moose@dalac.bitnet| noone else's. (blame me :-)

COP20227@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu (12/10/90)

Ah, my first ever post.. and on a ibm4381... ick
I friend of mine works in west chester and he has been known to say
that there was a project called (possibly) a C65. a 4mhz and expanded
ram and graphics 64. not sure of all the fun filled facts, but it was
active about a year or so ago, but I am pretty sure it is dead now. My
school did recieve a couple of c64(c?) , on beta test. very nice, very
low chip count, no compatibilty problems that I found.

Eric Wampner-           any brain activity belongs to me, and no one else
Please e-mail to: xperson@engr.ucf.edu or eww@ucfunix.engr.ucf.edu
Haven't come up with a pithy saying yet.

ghfeil@white.toronto.edu (Georg Feil) (12/12/90)

karl@cbmvax.commodore.com (Karl Herrman - CATS) writes:

>I had several.  C= made watches and calculators before it went into computers.

That's true, but they really did make "business machines", too.

I recall once putting a PET on top of a filing cabinet, and realizing both
were made by Commodore.

Georg.
--
Georg Feil                                 Internet: georg@sgl.ists.ca
Space Geodynamics Laboratory               (don't use my toronto.edu address)

lncjb@cc.nu.oz.au (12/13/90)

In article <61@mixcom.UUCP>, cyaa01@mixcom.UUCP (Chris Klausmeier) writes:

> o CBM LCD Laptop
[Remaining stuff zapped]

The same friend mentioned in another recent article (& the same magazine) has
	a bit about the CBM LCD. In apperance, the LCD looks like a forebear
	of both the C128 and PLUS/4, ie: a white toboggon the size of a +4.
	It had a 80x16 LCD screen that folded up from behind a keyboard that
	looks nothing like the conventional VIC/64/16/+4/128 layout. It also
	had those nifty arrow-shaped crsr keys.

The LCD used a 65C02 microprocessior (a Rockwell chip in a CBM device? -- egad!)
	with 32k CMOS RAM, so definitly not a 64/128-compatible. Since this
	was a lap-held, CBM placed 96k of bisness and telecom software in ROM
	(a la +4), or so says the release article. Just the thing for the
	impartial Yuppie. Also included onboard the LCD was a 300 baud modem.

The LCD used a version 3.6 BASIC (Fills in the gap between the V2 on the
	VIC/64 and V4 on the 128(?). Not aware if it used standard 64
	device contectors or those tiny ones of the 16/+4. How the thing was
	powered, I couldn't tell, but if it used a Datasette it would chew
	up the Nicads for sure.

The prototypes where displayed at some Commodore Electronics show (84?), and
	the article writer complained about the 'release' LCD having a flat
	keyboard. :-?

One more extinct machine, I suppose.
Chris Baird,
Occupation:	Impoverished BSc Undergrad