[comp.sys.cbm] FTP download HELP---PLEASE

zz96sr@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk) (12/12/90)

     I'm trying for the first time to download "stuff" using FTP from
milton.u.washington.edu -- without much success.
     Here's the particulars.....I use FTP on the Sun at work to get the
file(s).  I then rush home and download using Kermit (Version 2.00).  Nothing
but smoke.
     Can somebody post a brief tutorial?  What do you set file-type to?
Can I use "binary" with FTP?  If the file has a .SDA file extension, how
do I get it to de-arc itself?  So many questions!
     Thanks in advance.

     My 2 cents....I use and like GEOS.

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (12/16/90)

In article <14897@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> zz96sr@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk) writes:
>     Here's the particulars.....I use FTP on the Sun at work to get the
>file(s).  I then rush home and download using Kermit (Version 2.00).  Nothing
>but smoke.
>     Can somebody post a brief tutorial?  What do you set file-type to?
>Can I use "binary" with FTP?  If the file has a .SDA file extension, how
>do I get it to de-arc itself?  So many questions!

Ok, the default parameters for Kermit should be adequate for downloading
a BINARY file (ie, executable file, no ASCII translation whatsoever).
So all you should need to do is connect and Kermit receive.  However,
I have noticed some problems with Kermit 2.2:

1.  Kermit 2.2 will not function on a C64 at 2400 baud without an RS-232
    patch.  I have written such a patch, but someone has already beat me
    to the upload and put their own version at Milton, so look for that
    version.

2.  Kermit 2.2 will NOT WORK unless you are connected at 8/N/1.  That's
    8-bit, NO parity, and 1 stop bit.  My patch to Kermit does allow a
    person to connect at 8/N/1, 7/E/1, 7/O/1, 7/M/1, 7/S/1, whatever
    you like, but the Kermit file transfer protocol within the program
    will NOT work unless the connection is 8/N/1, so I have been
    reluctant to upload the program in that state.  I have no idea if
    the program uploaded to Milton works in that regard.

So if you are having trouble with Kermit, first switch to 8/N/1 if you
can.  If you can't, well, I am trying to figure it out, but who knows
if I will.  If you are trying to go 2400, get a patch before you try
any further.  You'll find that the patch also helps reduce errors at
other baud rates, too.