[comp.sys.cbm] kermit version 2.2, downloading

brm@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Brian R. Murphy) (12/07/90)

I just started hacking on my old C128 again after a few years of
ignoring it.  While looking through stuff on the various ftp sites
discussed in this group, I came across the new version of kermit.  I
already have 2.0; what does 2.2 have that I might be interested in?
Is it worth the time to download?  I notice it comes in "*.sda"
files; what exactly do I do with these?  Actually, if anyone could
give me a brief summary of the various archiving/bundling methods in
common use (and their corresponding file suffixes), I'd greatly
appreciate it...

					-Brian

hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec7.012947.7582@Neon.Stanford.EDU>,
brm@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Brian R. Murphy) writes:
> I just started hacking on my old C128 again after a few years of
> ignoring it.  While looking through stuff on the various ftp sites
> discussed in this group, I came across the new version of kermit.  I
> already have 2.0; what does 2.2 have that I might be interested in?
> Is it worth the time to download?

I don't know much about Kermit 2 but I'll tell you a bit about 2.2... it can do

Michelle@cup.portal.com (Tracy M Wirs) (12/10/90)

RE: *.sda files.....

SDA means Self-Dissolving ARK.   It was put together to dissolve without the
need of a separate program (like ARKIVE).  All you do is LOAD and RUN the
program, and it will dissolve itself.  You might want to copy the *.sda file
onto a BLANK disk before dissolving.......

Michelle@cup.portal.com

roger@odie.cs.mun.ca (Roger White) (12/10/90)

In article <36732@cup.portal.com> Michelle@cup.portal.com (Tracy M Wirs) writes:
>RE: *.sda files.....
>
>SDA means Self-Dissolving ARK.   It was put together to dissolve without the
>need of a separate program (like ARKIVE).  All you do is LOAD and RUN the
>program, and it will dissolve itself.  You might want to copy the *.sda file
>onto a BLANK disk before dissolving.......
>
>Michelle@cup.portal.com

Close, but not totally correct...
SDA means Self-Dissolving ARC. It was put together with the arc program and
appended to a de-arc module. Thus all you have to do is LOAD and RUN the
program, and it will dissolve itself. It is NOT necessary to copy the *.sda
file onto a blank disk, but it may be helpful to load the sda then insert
a blank (formatted) disk before running it. An sda contains compressed files
and a (relatively) small sda may create many large files, thus filling up the
disk. If you copy the sda over to the disk before running then you could
possibly run out of room.

R. White

--
Boot it up? I did A LOT of that!| Roger White
		(Sam-Cheers)	| Memorial University of Newfoundland

EAO102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ernie Oporto) (12/12/90)

     Yes, I'm having a lot of trouble downloading these files (.sda) to my C128
/64 using Kermit 2.1.  Anyone want to type in a Kermit download tutorial, as in
 what setting should be used?...

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (12/12/90)

As a commodore BBS sysop, I have been working with a lot of file packing
utilty programs.  SDA is by far my favorite.  Although not the eaisest
file to create, its by far the easiest to unpack!  Just load the file and
run it.  Make sure you have a disk with a lot of free space on it, it will
write to your disk.  Whats cool about this is that you dont need any
other programs to desolve the file.

SDA also works with most any disk type.  1541,81,71, 4040, IEEE stuff,
Lt Kernal hard disk, ram disk.  About the only thing it wont work with
is a tape drive!

.LNX - The lynx arcive system works good too, but its drive speciffic, in
that you are stuck with your 1541 in 64 mode.  There are also at least 15
versions of lynx, and a lot of them are not compatable with each other.  This
causes a lot of problem for me!

.ARC and .ARK - Same as lynx, too many version, and drive speciffic.

1!file name
2!file name
3!file name
4!file name  - The ZIP system.  This is used to pack an entire side of a
disk, secotrs, directory and all.  used a lot by pirates, but handy for
large applications.  Requires the unzip program.

ctfm

3!file nam

kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent SULLIVAN) (12/17/90)

In article <1990Dec7.012947.7582@Neon.Stanford.EDU> brm@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Brian R. Murphy) writes:
>I just started hacking on my old C128 again after a few years of
>ignoring it.  While looking through stuff on the various ftp sites
>discussed in this group, I came across the new version of kermit.  I
>already have 2.0; what does 2.2 have that I might be interested in?
>Is it worth the time to download?  I notice it comes in "*.sda"
>files; what exactly do I do with these?  Actually, if anyone could
>give me a brief summary of the various archiving/bundling methods in
>common use (and their corresponding file suffixes), I'd greatly
>appreciate it...

Version 2.2 added 2400 bps support for C-128s.  Version 2.1 added a whole host
of things, including finished VT-100 emulation, support for the BI-80 card and
C-128 screen (from C-64 mode), limited Tek 4010/4014 graphics term emulation,
support for the C-128's extra keys, and automatic conversion for C-Power source
files.

A "SDA" is a Self-Dissolving Archive.  It is an ARC with a special header that
allows you to LOAD it ",8" and RUN it to dissolve--you don't need the ARC
program to extract the files.

Kent Sullivan
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer.