[comp.sys.cbm] Aprotek Minimodem C24, and a problem with my 64

tjlee@iastate.edu (Tom Lee) (12/16/90)

	I have two questions.  If anyone has the answers, please post or mail.

	The first one is this:  I hear the Aprotek Minimodem C24 can run at
2400 baud.  I have managed to download Kermit 2.2 with the speed patch, but
in case it doesn't work, does the Aprotek modem have the ability to switch to
a lower speed (say 1200)?  If it does, I think I'll get one.

	The other question is this:  Often, when I turn my C64 on, I won't get
a normal picture on the TV I'm using for a monitor -- I'll get a strange,
squiggly pattern that looks kind of like something is wrong with the horizontal
hold.  (But that's not the problem, because adjusting the horizontal hold has
no effect, and this happens on different TV's, too.)  Sometimes jiggling the
cable that comes out of the RF modulator on the back of my 64 clears up the
problem, and sometimes it doesn't.  I've always been able to make it go away by
turning my machine off and back on until the screen comes up normally.  It
doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but has anybody had this problem?  Does
this mean I should worry?

--
Tom Lee			BITNET:  TAB47@ISUVAX			 /
"The Lamplighter"	Internet:  tjlee@iastate.edu		(o)

mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Mark Ford) (12/17/90)

From article <tjlee.661298261@du248-08.cc.iastate.edu>, by tjlee@iastate.edu (Tom Lee):

> 	I have two questions.  If anyone has the answers, please post or mail.
>
> 	The first one is this:  I hear the Aprotek Minimodem C24 can run at
> 2400 baud.  I have managed to download Kermit 2.2 with the speed patch, but
> in case it doesn't work, does the Aprotek modem have the ability to switch to
> a lower speed (say 1200)?  If it does, I think I'll get one.

I have the Aprotek Minimodem C24 and I like it.  It can operate at 1200 baud
and even 300 baud if you would want to.  Simply set the baud rate to 1200 on
your terminal program, and the modem will operate at that speed.

I use mine on a C-128 without any problems.  I tried it on a C-64 at 2400 baud
and it transmitted some garbage, but then the terminal program I was using
probably wasn't the greatest.

joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Joystyk) (12/18/90)

tjlee@iastate.edu (Tom Lee) writes:

>does the Aprotek modem have the ability to switch to
>a lower speed (say 1200)?  If it does, I think I'll get one.

OF COURSE!..  I call local bulletin boards that have maximum speeds of 1200
baud!   Just slow it down on the terminal program...
For instance, just for fun, once, I turned the terminal down to 50 baud
(the lowest possible for DesTerm)... SSSLLLOOOWWW...

As to the screen problem, I have no idea, but I'd take a guess at something
with the video RAM...
--
joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US / Luposlipaphobia:  the fear of being pursued
Trebor Sux   CBM rules       /  by timber wolves around a kitchen table