[comp.sys.cbm] kermit tutorial for beginners

JMHAAS@MTUS5.BITNET (Elezar) (12/12/90)

For transferring stuff (the question asked about .sda's), I reccomend
the following:  Make sure that when you ftp the original file, the
binary setting has been engaged.. Otherwise, the 8th bit is stripped.
Once it's gotten to the machine and you're ready to kermit stuff down:

Engage the remote kermit (usually typing either kermit or ckermit will
do this).  If you plan on transferring a binary file, make sure that
both the remote and local file-type are set to binary.  This is done
by the command: set file type binary.  Now use the send command to
send a file to your machine, escape to local kermit and type receive.
I've experienced some small difficulty with my drive when doing this
and have found that issuing a drive reset followed by initialize makes
it much happier.

   disk u;
   disk i

The only server relate command implemented on kermit65 is get.  To use
the server, type server on the remote kermit, escape to local kermit
and use the get command to get the files you wish.  type: finish  when
you're done with the server.

Hope this helps.

Fiat Lux!
--Elezar

bbrewer@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Robert Brewer) (12/14/90)

But will Kermit download to a different drive number than 8? I don't
believe I ever saw an answer to this question.

I like to download to drive 9 on my system (1581) because .sda files will
automatically un-squash to drive 8. That leaves the original .sda file
on drive 9, undamaged so I can upload it to the next board.

Thanks,
Bob

|-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|
| Bob Brewer, Instructor of Low Brass and Music Education                    |
| Director, Jazz Studies and the CSU Jazz Orchestra                          |
| Department of Music, Theatre and Dance                                     |
| Colorado State University at Fort Collins                                  |
| Office phone: 303-491-6957                                                 |
| Internet address: bbrewer@lamar.ColoState.EDU                              |
|=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|

EAO102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ernie Oporto) (12/18/90)

     I'm having trouble with these .sda files.  I can finally get them down to
my disk from the server in the correct format.  I have gotten files such as .ba
s which are ready to run upon download.  However, I need to know the exact proc
edure to use .sda files.  Here's what I do:

     I load the file in memory using LOAD"ARC250",8
     Then I sit there and watch the screen go blue and the drive goes on foreve
r.
     I have heard that .sda automatically unquashes at drive 8, but the file I'
m trying to unquash takes up more than half of the disk.  I have no idea when I
'm supposed to switch the source disk with an empty one.  I have another drive
which is permanently set for drive 9.
     ANY help I can get on this would be appreciated.  So everyone who knows ab
out this please flood my e-mailbox with info so I can figure it out.  Thanx.

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (12/18/90)

In article <11714@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> bbrewer@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Robert Brewer) writes:
>But will Kermit download to a different drive number than 8? I don't
>believe I ever saw an answer to this question.

I looked at the Kermit code, and it contains numerous direct hard-coded
references to drive 8.  I believe it would be a bit difficult to change
this.  But I've been wrong before.

--
begin 644 .signature
G5&AI<R!S<&%C92!I;G1E;G1I;VYA;&QY(&QE9G0@8FQA;FLN#0H: