[comp.sys.cbm] C64 Z-Modem

bbs00306@uafcseg.uucp (Chris Bray) (12/02/90)

Does anybody out there know of a C64 term program that has Z-Modem
file protocals?

Can you tell me where I could possibly FTP it if so?

Thanks.

Chris Bray       csb1@uafengr.uark.edu

xvj@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dynastar) (12/02/90)

In <5626@uafhp.uark.edu> bbs00306@uafcseg.uucp (Chris Bray) writes:
>Does anybody out there know of a C64 term program that has Z-Modem
>file protocals?

>Can you tell me where I could possibly FTP it if so?

Could you e-mail me this stuff too, if you have it?
--
Sean Ahern               \     ///====\\\   ///   //|| 's will outperform a
Purdue University         \    |||         ///   // ||    CGA 8088 in all

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (12/03/90)

Chris Bray (bbs00306@uafcseg.uucp ) wrote:

 >Does anybody out there know of a C64 term program that has Z-Modem
 >file protocals?

   Every couple of weeks someone asks that same question, and the answer
remains unchanged: No, and don't hold your breath waiting for it.

   It's possible, but then again so is flying to Mars, but I don't see hoardes
of people lining up at the ticket counter.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Bud 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (12/05/90)

In article <6182.275B3522@zswamp.fidonet.org> root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:
>Chris Bray (bbs00306@uafcseg.uucp ) wrote:
> >Does anybody out there know of a C64 term program that has Z-Modem
> >file protocals?
>
>   Every couple of weeks someone asks that same question, and the answer
>remains unchanged: No, and don't hold your breath waiting for it.

It's true that Zmodem would gain very little over other protocols, but
there are still several good reasons to use Zmodem, on any computer:

	1.  No padding, as with X and Y modem
	2.  Batch file transfers possible
	3.  Better error checking
	4.  Zmodem is a very widespread protocol, so it's easy to find
	    someone else who speaks Z.

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (12/05/90)

I agree, although Z modem would not provide much over all speed preformance
then other protocols, however the other advantages of Z modem should
justify its development for the commdore computers.  As a telecommunications
programmer, I have looked at the souce code of Zmodem on other CPU
systems, and its looks quite complex.  The biggest problem with it on
a C64 would be lack of memory.

PS - I have finaly found a very good soultion to the problem of
downloading files from Unix bases systems to the C128.  From FTP I can
fire the files I want to my unix home directioy, but getting them from
there to my C128 was the tuff one.  Kermit on the 64 really sucks!  Im
sorry, but Kermit in general is a very crappy protocol.

The solution: Xmodem 1K CRC.  Works fast, and works good up to high baud rates.

ctfm

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (12/07/90)

 > From: cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox)
 > It's true that Zmodem would gain very little over other
 > protocols, but
 > there are still several good reasons to use Zmodem, on
 > any computer:
 >
 >         1.  No padding, as with X and Y modem
 >         2.  Batch file transfers possible
 >         3.  Better error checking
 >         4.  Zmodem is a very widespread protocol, so it's
 > easy to find
 >             someone else who speaks Z.

   YMODEM (the REAL YMODEM, the batch protocol, as opposed to the

XMODEM-1K) solves 1 and 2 above. CRC-16, as implemented in all but
the simplest XMODEM drivers, already provides an incredibly small
chance of undetectable eror (in fact, I find it hard to believe that
people would increase overhead measurably to cut the chance of undetected
error almost immeasurably).

   4 is a valid point, I concede. I also concede that it would be

nice if we could all run a mile a minute. As one of the people who
occasionally is told that I SHOULD give ZMODEM a shot, I reserve the
right to go about hollering "It ain't worth it!"

Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec5.133606.12754@news.nd.edu> treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu writes:
>The solution: Xmodem 1K CRC.  Works fast, and works good up to high baud rates.

Sounds good, but what terminal program do you use that supports this
protocol?  I've been trying to find a good C64 program that supports
BATCH file transfers of W/X/Y/Zmodem.

I have Multiterm 6.0, which claims to support batch Xmodem, but our Unix
system doesn't believe that for a moment.  ::sigh::

I realize that many 128 programs support these protocols, but I have yet
to run across a C128 terminal program that doesn't assume that your 80
column monitor is working.

dcarpent@hydra.unm.edu (Daniel E Carpenter SOCIOL) (12/08/90)

In article <1990Dec6.211823.10055@evax.arl.utexas.edu> cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) writes:
>Sounds good, but what terminal program do you use that supports this
>protocol?  I've been trying to find a good C64 program that supports
>BATCH file transfers of W/X/Y/Zmodem.

Try Novaterm 9.1. It supports Y modem batch. Using an sb -k command works just
dandy. You need to use the ANSI 80 column mode with Novaterm, and set your
terminal emulation on the *NIX machine to "an". I believe it is available via
anonymous FTP at u.milton.washington.edu and oswego.oswego.edu

Dan Carpenter Galaxy Telecomm Corp.
(voice) 505-881-6988
(bbs)   505-881-6964 <pentegan>

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (12/12/90)

Well, the terminal Im using to make the transfers is called Cterm, but its
not really a comerically aviable terminal program.  Its a subplemnt overlay
for the BBS software that I run.  (Cnet 128 v4.0).  Nova Term 9.1 fully
supports Xmodem CRC 1K.  However, its not a batch protocol.

ctfm

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec12.130433.12751@news.nd.edu> treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu writes:
>Nova Term 9.1 fully supports Xmodem CRC 1K.  However, its not a batch
>protocol.

Well, in that case I'll give up on NovaTerm.  I was unable to get the
program to even pretend that it worked at 2400 baud.  Very
disappointing.

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (12/13/90)

 >From: treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu

 >I agree, although Z modem would not provide much over all speed
 >preformance then other protocols, however the other advantages of
 >Z modem should justify its development for the commdore computers.

   Why is it that everyone who says that does so as if they expect someone else
to do it?

   I have put in a lot of time on high speed serial drivers and CRC generators;
I did so because I thought it worthwhile. I did not whine in public groups that
SOMEONE ought to do it because it's probably justifiable.

   If YOU wish to do the ZMODEM port, then you have my most sincere best wishes
- and any help that I can offer, short of doing it for you.

 >The solution: Xmodem 1K CRC.  Works fast, and works good up to high
 >baud rates.

   This is preceisely what I've been telling ZMODEM fans; YMODEM isn't ZMODEM,
but it's damned good anyways and several orders of magnitude simpler.

Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Molson 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (12/20/90)

HEY!!!  I was not crying!   Im working pretty hard on my own protocol now
for the commodore.  Its acutally a networking protocol over modems, but
I think I have to agree with you Mr Math....Zmodem is just to big, complex,
and nasty to do on a 64.   A 128 maybe!  <GRIN>

ctfm