[comp.sys.cbm] Ibm c64

cs352a55@cs.iastate.edu (Class login) (12/22/90)

Hi, I have just purchased a c64 (for $35... one of the keys is broken,
and the diskdrive has to be upside down to run because of a loose connection.

I was wondering, how do I program the communications port (ie the linked
up RS232) from BASIC?  I dont have access to any books other than the manual
for the disk drive and another book on sound and graphics....  I checked our
library and there is no C64 Programmers Guide/Manual there either.

If someone could send me a quick example, I can do the rest.

Please send to:

TAA65@ISUVAX.BITNET or taa65@ccvax.iastate.edu

What I intend to do (just for kicks :) is:  Have a program that will send a
file from the c64 out the rs232 (in a special format) to the awaiting ibm pc
on the other side... and another program (or maybe the same one) in the other
direction.   After that I am going to write a patch form my music editor on
the ibm to save to a format that a c64 program can read in and play....

I dont suppose reading from the modem will be fast enough to keep tempo, would
it?

Anyway, if someone could point me in the direction of SOURCE of a good down-
loader for the c64, I could use that instead.... dont tell me where to ftp
zmodem or some other such thing from, seeing as how I dont have any programs
to download it with!!!

PS: is ARC for the 64 compatible with the other ARCs for other computers?
Have they come out with ARJ for the 64 yet? Where can I get lots of free games?
is it possible to hook up an IBM joystick to the 64 (I know, potentiometer vs.
click)? How would one write a TSR equivalent for the 64 (so that I may use
the Mouse -> IBM -> RS232 -> c64 pathway)?  Where can I get the SID Editor (
and how much does it cost? How easy is it to use?)  and finally....

CAN ONE GET A FASTER DISK DRIVE!!!! (1541 or 1571 is what I have...)

Sunjeev "Sunny" Gulati
296-9537 (after Jan 17th)
TAA65@ISUVAX
taa65@ccvax.iastate.edu

-- or talk to me on ADND-L the adnd list server available from LISTSERV@PUCC

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (12/23/90)

Class login (cs352a55@cs.iastate.edu ) wrote:

 >I was wondering, how do I program the communications port (ie the
 >linked up RS232) from BASIC?

   If all you want is to transfer files, you're by far best off to use existing
comm software.  The ROM support for the RS-232 pseudoport is very rough and its
baud rate generation becomes exponentially less accurate above about 800 bps.

 >I dont suppose reading from the modem will be fast enough to keep
 >tempo, would it?

   You should be able to run reliably at 600 bps... 60 CPS.  Fast enough for
you?!? <grin> Seriously, some of the PD & shareware stuff out there will give
you reliable 2400 and possibly 4800 bps - but only as long as you're in that
program.  Getting that sort of performance for your own softwarte involves
rewriting the serial driver which, in turn, requires familiarity with both 6502
assembler and the hardware in the C64.

 >PS: is ARC for the 64 compatible with the other ARCs for other
 >computers?

   No, but there are SEA-compatible ARC programs out there (including CSXARC,
also by Chris Smeets).

 >Have they come out with ARJ for the 64 yet?

   You've got to be kidding.  There isn't even ZIP for the C64 yet as far as I
know; LHARC is available for the Commodore 128 but not, I believe, for the 64.

 >Where can I get lots of free games?

   Where can I get a free Porsche? <grin>

 >is it possible to hook up an IBM joystick to the 64 (I know,
 >potentiometer vs. click)?

   Yes, but existing software won't read it.  I suggest you invest a couple of
bucks for a digital joystick, or tear one off of a dead Atari 2600 VCS.

 >How would one write a TSR equivalent for the 64

   This requires more familiarity with the C64 OS than can be given in one
message.  You will need a couple of reference books to manage this one.  BTW,
there's no such thing as a completely invisible TSR on a C64; code there is not
relocatable as it is with MS-DOS so there will always be certain programs that
don't run with certain TSRs, and many TSRs that will conflict with each other.

 >(so that I may use the Mouse -> IBM -> RS232 -> c64 pathway)?

   That could well win the award for "most unecessarily complex solution to a
given problem".

 >Where can I get the SID Editor

   COMPUTE! publications.

 >CAN ONE GET A FASTER DISK DRIVE!!!! (1541 or 1571 is what I have...)

   Invest in a fastload cartridge.  I suggest Super SnapShot V.5 or later, but
I'm biased (there are a few bytes of my code in there).

 >Sunjeev "Sunny" Gulati
 >taa65@ccvax.iastate.edu

   You certainly are asking a lot.  Mostly, you want to catch up on a decade of
hacking experience overnight, and I hate to inform you that it just ain't
possible.  Those who can't afford mainframes soon discover that everything they
learned about programming them (use OS calls, never access hardware direct;
structured programming; portable code - no need for assembler) doesn't count
for a hill of beans.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Molson 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!