I have read on this newgroup that there is an .sfx archiving program for the
Commodore 128. I have read enough to want to try it. Can anyone 1) tell me if
it is pd/share/etc or commercial. 2) and if it is pd/share/etc, where can I get
my hands on it, like is it on a ftp site.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (12/19/90)

grx0644@uoft02.utoledo.edu writes:

>I have read on this newgroup that there is an .sfx archiving program for the
>Commodore 128. I have read enough to want to try it. Can anyone 1) tell me if
>it is pd/share/etc or commercial. 2) and if it is pd/share/etc, where can I get
>my hands on it, like is it on a ftp site.

The program that creates .sfx files also creates LHArc files, and is a part
of Chris Smeets' CSDOS, which is a $20 shareware program found via
anonymous ftp at milton.u.washington.edu

Enjoy

-Rob Knop
rknop@juliet.caltech.edu

mspacek@fquest.fidonet.org (Mark Spacek) (12/20/90)

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) writes:
> grx0644@uoft02.utoledo.edu writes:
> >I have read on this newgroup that there is an .sfx archiving program for the
> >Commodore 128. I have read enough to want to try it. Can anyone 1) tell me i
> >it is pd/share/etc or commercial. 2) and if it is pd/share/etc, where can I
> >my hands on it, like is it on a ftp site.
> The program that creates .sfx files also creates LHArc files, and is a part
> of Chris Smeets' CSDOS, which is a $20 shareware program found via
> anonymous ftp at milton.u.washington.edu
> -Rob Knop
> rknop@juliet.caltech.edu

What version of LH-ARC is at Milton?  I don't have an easy way to check.
I recently got version 1.2 from a guy locally.  It has some significant
improvements and some nice MS-DOS utilities.  Unfortunately it appears it
will be the last upgrade.  Chris says that his brother, an accountant,
convinced him to give it up.  Not enough contributions coming in.  But,
it seems to work OK as is.  It now will handle REL and USR files
correctly.  The MS-DOS utilties are 1) to make and un-make .SFXs on a PC,
and 2) to convert a ARC230/250 ARC or SDA or an ARK to an LH-ARC.  Pretty
nice for folks running a C64/128 BBS on a PC.  If this version is already
up there, then NEVER MIND.  Otherwise, I'd be glad to mail it to somebody
who could put it up at Milton or somewheres.  I don't have FTP access to
send it up, but could UUEncode it and send it to someone who does.  It
came in one big Commodore style ARC, too big to dissolve with just 1541s,
at least not easily.  It broke down into the LH-ARC upgrade files, an LZH
containing the MS-DOS conversion utility, and another LZH containing the
SFX utils and source code.  I LZHed the upgrade files, and ended up with
three LZHs, all of managable size.  If anyone wants 'em, lemme know.

The following opinions are my own and not those of anyone else who
might be registered on fquest.fidonet.org.  All flames can be sent to
alt.flames since we don't read that here.

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (12/23/90)

mspacek@fquest.fidonet.org (Mark Spacek) writes:

>What version of LH-ARC is at Milton?  I don't have an easy way to check.
>I recently got version 1.2 from a guy locally.  It has some significant
>improvements and some nice MS-DOS utilities....

The version I downloaded sometime within the last month is version 1.10.
Being a 128 user who has no IBM, I am not sure what MS-DOS versions are
available at milton.

-Rob Knop
rknop@juliet.caltech.edu