[comp.sys.cbm] REUs, I-Paint, SimCity, and other things...

lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) (12/21/90)

If anyone is interesting in buying an REU, if you cannot located the
1750 (an original, not the 1750 Clone), the 1764 will work well and
can be cheaply upgraded to 512K for only $25. You can contact me for
more information.

Someone mentioned the program I-Paint. While I have little to add to
your original post, I can say that if you are really interested
contact Twin Cities or the author. If you mail me, I can find out
these addresses. As far as I know, I-Paint offers more colors by using
the interlacing to similate them (<- ??????) As far as I know it is
only a drawing program--there are conversion programs available. It is
based on BASIC 8.0, I believe it uses the language (though you don't
have to own it) via assembly not BASIC. I wish I could read a review
of it.

Anyone that read my review of SimCity, I ended up returning the game.
Although it does play alright, I was just so disappointed in the
lack of effort that Maxis Software put into the game. Understandably
they were constrained by memory, however, I don't feel that it
justifies eliminating more than half the fun of the original. If you
haven't played SimCity on another computer you haven't played SimCity.
The graphics are also a very big disappointment. Considering that
everything is composed of characters, they could have come up with
some much better visuals. I designed a few buildings at the same size
that were comparable to the B&W Mac version. They could have fit all
the characters they needed (for the map view) in one character set
with a raster interrupt to display the menu at the bottom of the
screen. I'm tired of quick ports that don't offer the same playability
as the original. If you are going to make a quick port, don't bother.

I'm tired of IBM dominated companies. To me they are snobs, looking
down at everyone else and turning their head, pretending not to notice.

I'm going to stop before I say something that I really regret. (All
the opinions expressed above are strictly my own)

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (12/23/90)

lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) writes:
>I'm tired of IBM dominated companies. To me they are snobs, looking
>down at everyone else and turning their head, pretending not to notice.

>I'm going to stop before I say something that I really regret. (All
>the opinions expressed above are strictly my own)

Of course, there do exist others who share some of these opinions :)

It is sick, though- reading magazines and so forth.  I was looking through
this mag called "Computer Currents" the other day, and it is as if
Commodore computers (other than the Amiga, which at least got a nod) didn't
exist.  (I think the editors of the magazine mentally group the 64 and 128
with the Nintendo, which is REALLY sick.)

But what the hey, as RUN magazine said, Commodore users are a very dedicated
lot, and groups like comp.sys.cbm do an admirable job of supplying a sort of
customer support.  As long as there are enough of us out here to help each
other ou, we'll do allright.

-Rob Knop
rknop@juliet.caltech.edu