[comp.sys.cbm] star nx-10

alex_burger@canrem.uucp (alex burger) (12/17/90)

For some reason, my Star NX-10's 5K printer buffer no longer works.

When I print something out using Dialogue 128, or Pocket Writer, I can't
continue with what I was doing until the printer is finished.  I use
to be able to print a page of NLQ using Pocket Writer, and start using
the computer when the printer was only half way through the page...

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S.  I intalled JiffyDos recently, and it does seem to mess up the
      printer sometimes, but the printer did the same thing with my
      flat C64C with a 1541 drive...

Alex Burger - Commodore Chairman of CRS (416-762-6406)
--
Canada Remote Systems.  Toronto, Ontario
NorthAmeriNet Host

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (12/23/90)

alex_burger@canrem.uucp (alex burger) writes:

>For some reason, my Star NX-10's 5K printer buffer no longer works.

>When I print something out using Dialogue 128, or Pocket Writer, I can't
>continue with what I was doing until the printer is finished.  I use
>to be able to print a page of NLQ using Pocket Writer, and start using
>the computer when the printer was only half way through the page...

Have you diddled with the printer's dip switches at all?  There is one
of them (let me check - OK, switch 2-1) which selects between downloadable
characters and the RAM buffer.  When that is OFF, you can use downloadable
characters, but the buffer is no longer active.

Another idea: would there be any reason that the bottle neck could be
loacted at the JiffyDOS chip?  Would it process any bytes going to the
printer, thus slowing down the communications and never letting the
printer's buffer fill up?  This would have to be pretty flying slow in
order for the 30 cps NLQ printing to keep u with the communicatin rate.

-Rob Knop
rknop@juliet.caltech.edu