[comp.sys.cbm] PD BBS's ?

nms@cbnewsh.att.com (n.m.scribner) (12/14/90)

There seem to be a number of PD and commercial BBS packages available.
I would like some advice on which of them would be most suitable
for a very computer competent (but not really programmer) teenager
to use locally with a small number of friends.  We have a c64 with
two 1541's and a Hayes compatible, external modem with a "Peak" interface.

So far, most of the things he has tried seemed not very robust,
and generally fairly buggy.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Neal Scribner (nms@homxb.att.com)

bbrewer@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Robert Brewer) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec13.224912.13253@cbnewsh.att.com> nms@cbnewsh.att.com (n.m.scribner) writes:

>There seem to be a number of PD and commercial BBS packages available.
>I would like some advice on which of them would be most suitable
>for a very computer competent (but not really programmer) teenager
>to use locally with a small number of friends.  We have a c64 with
>two 1541's and a Hayes compatible, external modem with a "Peak" interface.
>
>So far, most of the things he has tried seemed not very robust,
>and generally fairly buggy.
>
>Any advice would be appreciated.
>
>Neal Scribner (nms@homxb.att.com)

  Give EBBS  written by Ed Parry a try. I looked for a PD bbs program for
  a long time and had the same results you got. But EBBS works well. You
  can register the program for $40. The C128 version has commodore graphix.

  I think I saw EBBS in a telecom section of an annonymous ftp site. IF you
  can't find it, I have a copy along with copies of Ribit, Syntech, All
  American and EZBBS.

  The Industry standard BBS programs are Color64 and DeadLock. But those
  cost around $75 each. Great programs though.

  I think you will find that a BBS for a "few friends" will suddenly grow
  to full capacity in a hurry. Then after a while, your users will fall off.
  When I lived in Champaign, IL, we had over 30 boards. The most successful
  as Suburbia (sorry I don't remember the number)r). He was successful in
  keeping members because he had regular scheduled "outings" to the local
  dinner theatre and lots of parties.

  Hope this helps.
  Bob
  bbrewer@lamar.ColoState.EDU

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (12/20/90)

With only two 1541 drives, the system wont have a lot of offer and disk
space will be an issue.  I would recomend at least a 1581 drive.  If your
stuck in 64 mode, IMAGE bbs is probably the best moeny can buy in my
opnion.  DMBBS also provides a nice package for the 64.

ctfm

digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mike Digdon) (12/24/90)

Having a lot of experience with BBS's, you really can't expect much from a PD
board... your best bet will be to buy one.  Image is ok, but DMBBS 5.0 is
definately one of the better BBS programs that you can get... it is ve{y sysop
friendly, and lets you have absolute control of everything... it is an A-1
package..

	+   Mike Digdon: digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca  + My 64 can still get the +
	+		 mike@ac.dal.ca	      + job at hand completed!! +