[comp.sys.cbm] ALL PLEASE RESPOND...

lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) (11/27/90)

Please take a minute to answer these questions...
I am asking them mainly out of curiousity, but I do have some need for
the information.

1. What computer do you own? If you own a C128 indicate how much
80-column video RAM you have (i.e. 16K or 64K). For those that aren't
sure, the standard C128 has 16K unless you had it upgraded. The C128D
has 64K.

2. What hardware (i.e. disk drives, printers, etc.--include company
and model) do you own?

3. Do you own GEOS? What version? (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5,
2.0--for the 64 or 128 or both)

4. Do you own ANY kind of external RAM device? (i.e. C17xx, GEORAM,
RamLink, RamDrive, Brown Box, PageFox...). How much memory does it
have?

5. What is your main area of interest? (i.e. programming, graphics,
music, sound, games, education, business, animation,
telecommunications...)

6. Explain any comments, suggestions, criticisms, or whatever that you
have with your computer and/or its software/hardware. (This is
optional since it can be quite long).

7. For GEOS owners, are you satisfied with the operating system? What
weaknesses do you find with it? What suggestions do you have if there
were to be a version 3.0?

Thank you for your time. :)

By the way, here is my answers:

1. C128 w/64K

2. 1571, 1581, Star NX1000, HotShot Printer Interface (8K buffer),
1660 and 1670 modem, 1 joystick, 1350 & 1351 mouse

3. GEOS 128 2.0 (GEOS 128 1.2, GEOS 64 1.2)

4. C1764 upgraded to 1 MB

5. graphics and animation, programming

6. Companies haven't taken advantage of the new hardware available,
like the 1581 and REUs. I know they were waiting to see if enough
people would purchase them, but that aided in the lack of interest in
these great hardware units. When people make the decision to purchase
a hardware device, they take into consideration the number of programs
that support that device. In the case of the 1581 and REU, not many
programs support these devices.

7. No, I'm not satisfied with GEOS (although I am not disappointed either).
It can be better, much better. I have done some thinking about what version
3.0 would be like. What I have come up with is much too long to write here.
The current versions biggest weakness is its clumsiness.

This was written during work (and it is very busy at this computer lab) so it
may not be very comprehensive. :?

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (11/27/90)

I have a Commdore 128 with 16K Vram.  I have a self-converted 1750 REU.
I use my commdore for telecomunications, and programming and have a strong
intrest in music.

I also am a very proud owner of a 100Meg Lt Kernal Hard disk system that runs
very fast, and is suprizingly compatable with most of my software.

ctfm

Michelle@cup.portal.com (TRACY M WIRS) (11/28/90)

(second try; got cut off the first time I tried to respond)

here's my two nickels worth (inflation, y'know?):

1. C64
2. 1541 drive, 1670 modem, Star NX1000C printer, 1 joystick, 1 light pen
(which I don't use very often)
3. GEOS 1.2 (have upgrade for 1.3), 2.0
4 does not apply to me - I don't have anything like that

5. telecommunications & poetry
6. the drive is too slow.... I've worked with IBM Clones, which are MUCH
faster than this.....but I got this system as a hand-me-down, so I
will adapt to it.  I have a modem; it works fine; I can talk with it.
I'm happy....  :)
7. hm...... improving GEOS?  Make the geoWrite work right with a light pen --
the light pen makes it a LOT easier to get around in that prg., but it just
WON'T work right with geoWrite....
starts the text going  upwards before I want it to.  :(   Otherwise, I like
GEOS.

Michelle@cup.portal.com  <Internet
sun!cup.portal.com!Michelle  <UUCP or whatever

shikascs@clutx.clarkson.edu (Glo,,,) (11/28/90)

From article <Nov.26.21.48.37.1990.18316@remus.rutgers.edu>, by lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz):

> Please take a minute to answer these questions...
> I am asking them mainly out of curiousity, but I do have some need for
> the information.

> 1. What computer do you own? If you own a C128 indicate how much
> 80-column video RAM you have (i.e. 16K or 64K). For those that aren't
> sure, the standard C128 has 16K unless you had it upgraded. The C128D
> has 64K.
   C128, C64, Zenith 286
> 2. What hardware (i.e. disk drives, printers, etc.--include company
> and model) do you own?
   1541,1571,1581
> 3. Do you own GEOS? What version? (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5,
> 2.0--for the 64 or 128 or both)
   I don't own/have a copy of GEOS.
   1764 (@512k) I can't wait until I save enough money to buy RamLink. :>
> 5. What is your main area of interest? (i.e. programming, graphics,
> music, sound, games, education, business, animation,
> telecommunications...)
   I have dabbled in a bit of everything.  I guess I would have to put down
   my main interest to be in the telecommunications area.  I also enjoy writing
   programs that manipulate disk i/o.
> 6. Explain any comments, suggestions, criticisms, or whatever that you
> have with your computer and/or its software/hardware. (This is
> optional since it can be quite long).
   I would like to see a 1581 type drive that supports a 1.44 meg format.
   I wish Commodore had a more efficient system of releasing new versions
   of DOS (on ROM).  The autoboot sector 'bug' is driving me nuts!  (Upon
   validation, track one, sector 0 is set free.  It can't be set as a file
   either because of the track is pointing to 67 (C) and the sector is 66 (B).
   Is a $00,$FF,$43,$42,$4D header for the first 5 bytes possible? Oh well,
   it's too late anyway.
> 7. For GEOS owners, are you satisfied with the operating system? What
> weaknesses do you find with it? What suggestions do you have if there
> were to be a version 3.0?
   (question three)

tlo@cbnewsj.att.com (trevor.l.obermann) (11/28/90)

In article <Nov.26.21.48.37.1990.18316@remus.rutgers.edu>, lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) writes:

> Please take a minute to answer these questions...
> I am asking them mainly out of curiousity, but I do have some need for
> the information.

> 1. What computer do you own? If you own a C128 indicate how much
> 80-column video RAM you have (i.e. 16K or 64K). For those that aren't
> sure, the standard C128 has 16K unless you had it upgraded. The C128D
> has 64K.	  C128 w/64k video & C64

> 2. What hardware (i.e. disk drives, printers, etc.--include company
> and model) do you own?
	1541 (1), 1571 (2), 1581 (2), ICT Datachief HD (20meg)
	MPS-801, MPS-1000, Epson LQ-850, Hot Shot Interface (0k),
	Compuadd Printer buffer (256k), Skyles IEEE-488 Interface,
	1650, 1660, GVC 2400 modem (MNP class 5), AT&T 2224-CEO modem
	(300 - 4800bps), AT&T 2296A modem (4800 - 19200bps), Capetronic
	modem (1200bps), 1902 monitor, NEC Multisync 3D monitor, 1350 &
	1351 mouse, Magic Voice (speech), Light Pen, 5 Joysticks, 1750 REU

> 3. Do you own GEOS? What version? (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5,
> 2.0--for the 64 or 128 or both)
	Versions (1.2, 1.3, 2.0) for both C128 & C64

> 4. Do you own ANY kind of external RAM device? (i.e. C17xx, GEORAM,
> RamLink, RamDrive, Brown Box, PageFox...). How much memory does it
> have?
	1750 (512k)

> 5. What is your main area of interest? (i.e. programming, graphics,
> music, sound, games, education, business, animation,
> telecommunications...)
	Programming, games, telecommunications, business

> 6. Explain any comments, suggestions, criticisms, or whatever that you
> have with your computer and/or its software/hardware. (This is
> optional since it can be quite long).
	Time to move to the world of 32bit PC's and let my Commodore rest
	in peace!

> 7. For GEOS owners, are you satisfied with the operating system? What
> weaknesses do you find with it? What suggestions do you have if there
> were to be a version 3.0?
	I think the whole GEOS idea is rather ridiculus for the Commodore
machines in my opinion it just doesn't work and never will.

--
+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+
+  Trevor L. Obermann		Compuserve  71556.351.compuserve.com        +

roger@odie.cs.mun.ca (Roger White) (11/29/90)

>In article <1990Nov27.231059.7897@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> shikascs@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>>From article <Nov.26.21.48.37.1990.18316@remus.rutgers.edu>, by lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz):
>> 6. Explain any comments, suggestions, criticisms, or whatever that you
>> have with your computer and/or its software/hardware. (This is
>> optional since it can be quite long).
>   I would like to see a 1581 type drive that supports a 1.44 meg format.
>   I wish Commodore had a more efficient system of releasing new versions
>   of DOS (on ROM).  The autoboot sector 'bug' is driving me nuts!  (Upon
>   validation, track one, sector 0 is set free.  It can't be set as a file
>   either because of the track is pointing to 67 (C) and the sector is 66 (B).
>   Is a $00,$FF,$43,$42,$4D header for the first 5 bytes possible? Oh well,
>   it's too late anyway.

How about setting up track 1 sector 0 as a partition? I do that with every disk
I own that has a boot sector implemented. Use the partion aid utility on the
1581 demo/utility disk to set up a partition 1 block long on track 1 sector 0.
I believe the following command will work also:

open 15,dn,15
print#15,"/0:boot sector,"+chr$(1)+chr$(0)+chr$(1)+chr$(0)+",c"
close15

where dn means the drive number (usually 8 or 9)

The first chr$(1) means track 1, the first chr$(0) means sector 0.
The second chr$(1) and chr$(0) is the number of sectors in low byte/high byte
format. (1+0*256=1)

This will only work with the 1581, don't try it with the 1541/71 since I
don't know what it will do on a drive with no partition features.

Roger.

--
Boot it up? I did A LOT of that!| Roger White
		(Sam-Cheers)	| Memorial University of Newfoundland

tjlee@iastate.edu (Lee Thomas Jennings) (11/29/90)

	Here are my answers:

> 1. What computer do you own? If you own a C128 indicate how much
> 80-column video RAM you have (i.e. 16K or 64K). For those that aren't
> sure, the standard C128 has 16K unless you had it upgraded. The C128D
> has 64K.
	I have a C64.
> 2. What hardware (i.e. disk drives, printers, etc.--include company
> and model) do you own?
	I also have a Datasette (the old white kind -- I don't use it much
since I got my disk drive), a 1541 disk drive, a Super Snapshot 5 cartridge, a
light pen, various joysticks (including some Atari remote-control ones), a
Sears printer (looks like an Epson Homewriter really), some sort of special
power supply, and a 1660 300-baud modem (thanks to W. Mat Waites!).  No monitor
-- just an old beat-up black and white TV.  :-(
> 3. Do you own GEOS? What version? (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5,
> 2.0--for the 64 or 128 or both)
	No GEOS.  :-(
> 4. Do you own ANY kind of external RAM device? (i.e. C17xx, GEORAM,
> RamLink, RamDrive, Brown Box, PageFox...). How much memory does it
> have?
	No extra RAM.  :-(
> 5. What is your main area of interest? (i.e. programming, graphics,
> music, sound, games, education, business, animation,
> telecommunications...)
	It's changed so many times I'm not sure.  Telecommunications right now;
also some programming and graphics.
> 6. Explain any comments, suggestions, criticisms, or whatever that you
> have with your computer and/or its software/hardware. (This is
> optional since it can be quite long).
	(1) Hooray for ROM operating systems! (2) My C64 doesn't always turn on
right -- sometimes I get a bunch of weird horizontal stripes and have to turn
it off and on again. (3) The 64 is the most versatile computer for its price
that I've ever seen!  I'm going to use mine until it falls apart.
> 7. For GEOS owners, are you satisfied with the operating system? What
> weaknesses do you find with it? What suggestions do you have if there
> were to be a version 3.0?
	No GEOS.  :-(
	*	*	*	*	*	*	*	*	*
     Tom Lee, "The Lamplighter"		   BITNET:  TAB47@ISUVAX
 Central Institute for the Sciences	Internet:  tjlee@iastate.edu
     Abbenay, Anarres, Tau Ceti		or:  tab47@ccvax.iastate.edu
--
	*	*	*	*	*	*	*	*	*
     Tom Lee, "The Lamplighter"		   BITNET:  TAB47@ISUVAX
 Central Institute for the Sciences	Internet:  tjlee@iastate.edu
     Abbenay, Anarres, Tau Ceti		or:  tab47@ccvax.iastate.edu

c0037544@cc.nu.oz.au (11/29/90)

1. I have a C128, with only a 16K 8563 chip, but intend to upgrade soon.

2. 1571 disk drive, C2N datasette, MPS 1250 printer, 1901 monitor,
1351 mouse, Dcom joystick, Euromax Competition Pro joysticks (2),
Cyclone Turbo ROM, Expert Cartridge V4.1, monitor swivel stand,
monitor anti-glare screen.

3. GEOS 128 version 2.

4. No ... not yet!

5. Programming, and word-processing.

6. Annoyed that the 1571 has been discontinued, and that the 1581 is not
available in Australia, meaning that I am not using the full potential of
my computer.
I think that the 128 is probably the best 8-bit home computer available!

7. I am quite satisfied with GEOS. However, in 80 columns geoWrite can be bad
for the eyes after a lot of typing.

| David Williams       | University of Newcastle 		              |
| c0037544@cc.nu.oz.au | Department of Computer Science  (Undergrad)	      |
|   "The decision of Random Numbers is too important to be left to chance !"  |

roger@odie.cs.mun.ca (Roger White) (11/30/90)

In article <Nov.26.21.48.37.1990.18316@remus.rutgers.edu> lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) writes:
>1. What computer do you own? If you own a C128 indicate how much
>80-column video RAM you have (i.e. 16K or 64K). For those that aren't
>sure, the standard C128 has 16K unless you had it upgraded. The C128D
>has 64K.

Commodore 128 (16k VDC RAM)

>2. What hardware (i.e. disk drives, printers, etc.--include company
>and model) do you own?

Commodore 1541, 1581 drives; 1670 modem; 1351 mouse; 1084 monitor;
Panasonic KX-P1080i; Xetec Super Graphics Jr interface; Super Snapshot V3

>3. Do you own GEOS? What version? (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5,
>2.0--for the 64 or 128 or both)

V2.0 for both (128 and 64)

>4. Do you own ANY kind of external RAM device? (i.e. C17xx, GEORAM,
>RamLink, RamDrive, Brown Box, PageFox...). How much memory does it
>have?

Nope, but hope to very soon (before Christmas).

>5. What is your main area of interest? (i.e. programming, graphics,
>music, sound, games, education, business, animation,
>telecommunications...)

Programming, Graphics, Animation, Telecommunications... mainly programming.

>6. Explain any comments, suggestions, criticisms, or whatever that you
>have with your computer and/or its software/hardware. (This is
>optional since it can be quite long).

Create a 1.44 MB 3.5" drive, accelerator for 128.

>7. For GEOS owners, are you satisfied with the operating system? What
>weaknesses do you find with it? What suggestions do you have if there
>were to be a version 3.0?

Yes, I am satisfied.
Colour graphics on 80 column screen within Geopaint 128, grammar checker,
ability to use subdirectories with a 1581.

--

sd05@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Sylvain Tremblay / Eric Trepanier) (11/30/90)

> 1. What computer do you own? If you own a C128 indicate how much
> 80-column video RAM you have (i.e. 16K or 64K). For those that aren't
> sure, the standard C128 has 16K unless you had it upgraded. The C128D
> has 64K.

I have a C128D, so I already have 64K RAM, and if I had a C128, I would
surely upgrade it to 64K!

> 2. What hardware (i.e. disk drives, printers, etc.--include company
> and model) do you own?

An internal 1571 and 1581 disk drive, a 1750 512K ram expander, a 1670 1200 BPS
modem (with plans to upgrade to 2400 BPS), a 1084 monitor, a 1351 mouse, an
EPSON LX-800 printer and an excellent 6 years old WICO joystick.

> 3. Do you own GEOS? What version? (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5,
> 2.0--for the 64 or 128 or both)

I have GEOS 128 v2.0.  I use it mostly for word processing and I intent to get
in some geoProgramming eventually.  I'm satisfied with the actual state of the
GEOS environment, but I know that it could be a lot better.  For example, it
would be possible to have a splendid 320x200 16 colors GEOS environment,
without requiring 64K of video RAM...  Of course, a 640x200 color or 640x400
GEOS would be even better (though a 64K is required here).  The window support
is very limited, it's virtually impossible to have multiple overlapping windows
as is seen on the mac and/or Amiga.  I'm sure that with a little effort, this
too could be done.

> 5. What is your main area of interest? (i.e. programming, graphics,
> music, sound, games, education, business, animation,
> telecommunications...)

I'm mostly interested in ml programming, but I also use my C128 for word
processing, graphics, telecommunications and entertainment...

> 6. Explain any comments, suggestions, criticisms, or whatever that you
> have with your computer and/or its software/hardware. (This is
> optional since it can be quite long).

The lack of a good, standard, ROM-oriented Operating System with command line
and command arguments.  You know, the type of commands like the
COPY A:*.PRG B: we're used to see on other machines.  I wish there was an
intelligent sb-directory support available for all Commodore disk drives.
Mostly, the lack of an inexpensive 20/40 Mb hard disk (below 300$ like you
see on the PC market)...

Someone wrote this:

>   I would like to see a 1581 type drive that supports a 1.44 meg format.
>   I wish Commodore had a more efficient system of releasing new versions
>   of DOS (on ROM).  The autoboot sector 'bug' is driving me nuts!  (Upon
>   validation, track one, sector 0 is set free.  It can't be set as a file
>   either because of the track is pointing to 67 (C) and the sector is 66 (B).
>   Is a $00,$FF,$43,$42,$4D header for the first 5 bytes possible? Oh well,
>   it's too late anyway.

I suppose this tip has already been given, but you can create a fake CBM file
that points to track 1 / sector 0 with a file size of 1 block.  The DOS doesn't
care about the track links on a CBM file (filetype $85), so the block won't be
reallocated after a validate.

Well that's it for me, hope you will find this useful...

Eric Trepanier

--
+-----------------------------------------------------------------///------+
|  Sylvain Tremblay        INTERNET: sd05@terre.USherb.CA    __  ///   /|  |

kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent SULLIVAN) (12/10/90)

In article <Nov.26.21.48.37.1990.18316@remus.rutgers.edu> lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) writes:

>Please take a minute to answer these questions...
>I am asking them mainly out of curiousity, but I do have some need for
>the information.

AARRRRGGHHH!  Please, anyone who wishes to respond to this posting, PLEASE do
it via email!  There's no need to clog up this newsgroup with several hundred K
worth of system configurations!

Lyle, in this type of situation, it is the "net norm" to ask that people respond
via email and that you post a summary (which should *not* be everyone's response
concatenated into one huge message!).

Thanks,

Kent Sullivan
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer.

scott@max.u.washington.edu (12/15/90)

In article <59657@microsoft.UUCP>, kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent SULLIVAN) writes:
> In article <Nov.26.21.48.37.1990.18316@remus.rutgers.edu> lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) writes:
>>
>>Please take a minute to answer these questions...
>>I am asking them mainly out of curiousity, but I do have some need for
>>the information.
>
> AARRRRGGHHH!  Please, anyone who wishes to respond to this posting, PLEASE do
> it via email!  There's no need to clog up this newsgroup with several hundred K
> worth of system configurations!

I don't know....for me, I found it very interesting to know
what other people had in there C64/C128 system. I didn't know so
many of you own or plan to own an REU.

As for clogging up the newsgroup....this may be true for those newsgroups
that have rather heavy traffic. But for this one, for now at least, can
be more accomodating.......a personal opinion.

> Thanks,
>
> Kent Sullivan
> Microsoft Corporation

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

tims@sgi.com (Tim Sawyer) (12/29/90)

In article <tjlee.659833681@du248-01.cc.iastate.edu> tjlee@iastate.edu (Lee Thomas Jennings) writes:

>	Here are my answers:
>
>> 1. What computer do you own? If you own a C128 indicate how much
>> 80-column video RAM you have (i.e. 16K or 64K). For those that aren't
>> sure, the standard C128 has 16K unless you had it upgraded. The C128D
>> has 64K.
>> 2. What hardware (i.e. disk drives, printers, etc.--include company
>> and model) do you own?
>> 3. Do you own GEOS? What version? (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5,
>> 2.0--for the 64 or 128 or both)
>> 4. Do you own ANY kind of external RAM device? (i.e. C17xx, GEORAM,
>> RamLink, RamDrive, Brown Box, PageFox...). How much memory does it
>> have?
>> 5. What is your main area of interest? (i.e. programming, graphics,
>> music, sound, games, education, business, animation,
>> telecommunications...)
>> 6. Explain any comments, suggestions, criticisms, or whatever that you
>> have with your computer and/or its software/hardware. (This is
>> optional since it can be quite long).
>> 7. For GEOS owners, are you satisfied with the operating system? What
>> weaknesses do you find with it? What suggestions do you have if there
>> were to be a version 3.0?

   1. I have a C128, 16K VDC

   2. 1541 C, 1541 II, MPS 801, 1200 baud modem w/interface, 1084 RGB monuitor

   3. GEOS 2.0 for 64

   4. NO external RAM

   5. Programming, games

   6. I'm happy with my 128.

   7. The only thing I don't like about GEOS is Geo Paint.

					tims@asd.sgi.com

Thomas.Arnao@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Thomas Arnao) (01/01/91)

I have a flat 128 w/ 16K video ram, Magnovox 80 col RGB & 40 composit
2- 1571 2-1541 1-1581 drives
1- 1670 1-Multitech 224 modems
1-1764 REU expanded to 512K
1-Super Snapshot V5 cart
GEOS 64 & 128 both V 2.0
Hundreds of games, Stereo SID player & editor
* Geos is okay but crashes too easily.

--
Thomas Arnao - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Thomas.Arnao