[comp.sys.cbm] JiffyDOS

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (12/30/90)

In article <1990Dec28.235658.6660@news.nd.edu> treesh@bach.helios.nd.edu writes:
>Im still scared to death of stuff like Jiffy Dos, or anything that alters
>the root opperating system of the 64/128.

Don't be.  JiffyDOS is the best thing to come along for the Commodore
since the invention of the disk drive.  Hats off to Creative Micro
Designs for creating such a highly compatible and useful DOS that is
FAST!!

JiffyDOS works with ALL software (okay, for those of you who like
numbers, 99.99% compatible).  I have been using JiffyDOS for 2 years now
and have found only TWO software programs that would not work properly
with it.  And JiffyDOS is so complete, you can switch it off if you want
to, simple as that.

JiffyDOS isn't even that expensive.  And, for you REU lovers, it of
course does not use any ports on the machine at all.  FastLoad and Super
Snapshot can't compare with JiffyDOS's compatibility.  Several times I
have had to turn of my SSv5 cartridge to get a program to work, but I
never have to turn off JIffyDOS.

JiffyDOS speeds up all access of the disk drive, including PRG
load/saves, SEQ file read/writes, USR and REL file updates, too.
Everything.  Reliably.  Compatibly.  Even the built in DOS wedge never
causes problems with BASIC programs or anything else.  Truly an amazing
feat.

This may seem like a biased opinion, and it is.  But not because of any
relation between me and CMD.  I am merely a thoroughly happy customer.
Keep up the good work, CMD people.
--
begin 644 .signature
G5&AI<R!S<&%C92!I;G1E;G1I;VYA;&QY(&QE9G0@8FQA;FLN#0H:

end

astrix@globey.cs.wisc.edu (Lou Goodman) (01/03/91)

When I got jiffydos, I unplugged my mach128. Programs with built in
loaders are no faster, but "straight" loads are great. There are some
features I like about JD that may be available in other cartridghes
(that I don't have). Only once or twice have I used the @O (restore
program after system reset). Some of my favorite commands are the
@t:file, the @d:file and the @#n. the "@T:" allows you to "type"
a sequential file (no more programs needed). The "@D" allows you to
list a program to the screen. Just yesterday I was working on a
program modification and managed to mess up some lines that I did
not want to mess up. I just @D'd the original on the file and
stopped the display (simple poke at the spacebar toggles it) at the
original lines, moved to them and reinstated them by hitting a return.
I personnaly have hated not being able to dump a file without having to
first load it or or load some other program to do it. I can well imagine
the cartridges also do this.

The third option is a real boon. I have two 1571's (units 8 & 9) and
a 1581 (unit 10). Using the @#10 command points the dos wedge to my
1581. So doing directories, loads, saves, etc. go to it until I
reset the default. Yes, I have managed to save a file to my 1581
data source file when I wanted it to go to the 1571, but, no big
deal. The only incompatability that I have found is with the
Compute!'s metabasic pargram aid. But with two sys commands, even that
can be overcome.

Perhaps an "extra" nicity is that the "goodies" for the JD are equally
valid for the 128 and the 64 mode, as far as I have seen. Of course,
if you have v5, like I do, you can get a v6 at a reduced price... by
swapping. trouble is, you probably have to send the v5 back whick
is a bit tough if you don't have the old rom.....

Whether cartridge or JD, you pays yer money and takes yer choice.

lou

astrix (Lou R. Goodman), UW Madison
|| He who knows, who really knows, and knows that he knows...... ||
|| knows just how much he doesn't know......                     ||
|| "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but flames... oy weh!" ||
astrix%globey.cs.wisc.edu@cs.wisc.edu  (I think, I don't mail myself)