[comp.sys.cbm] geocalc

latta@tc.fluke.COM (Jack Galloway) (01/05/91)

Over the past few months I have been playing with GEOS, so far I have been
pleased with it.  I bought Geocalc recently and have been learning that this
past week.  It seemed to work well enough with one exception.  Last night I
tried to do a "split screen" and it locked up.  I could move the cursor up and
down the row headings only, it would not let me move into the command menu or
get out.  Consequently I had to shut the thing off, this screwed up the
worksheet and I could not re-enter it.  I had a copy so all was not lost.
Anyway, has any one had a problem like this?  I've also had problems
validating  these disks from time to time.  Is it possible that disks are of
poor quality can cause this validation problem??

If anyone can make suggestions you can reach me through the e-mail address
below.

Thanks,  Jack

--
Jack Galloway              latta@tc.fluke.COM          (206) 356-5988
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.  P.O. Box 9090 M/S 269E   Everett, WA 98206

randy@athena.mit.edu (Randall W Winchester) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan4.173528.26305@tc.fluke.COM> latta@tc.fluke.COM (Jack Galloway) writes:
>Over the past few months I have been playing with GEOS, so far I have been
>pleased with it.  I bought Geocalc recently and have been learning that this
>past week.  It seemed to work well enough with one exception.  Last night I
>tried to do a "split screen" and it locked up.  I could move the cursor up and
>down the row headings only, it would not let me move into the command menu or
>get out.  Consequently I had to shut the thing off, this screwed up the
>worksheet and I could not re-enter it.  I had a copy so all was not lost.
>Anyway, has any one had a problem like this?  I've also had problems
>validating  these disks from time to time.  Is it possible that disks are of
>poor quality can cause this validation problem??
>
>If anyone can make suggestions you can reach me through the e-mail address
>below.

Be careful when validating disks that contain GEOS files.  These disks
must be validated using the "Validate" menu selection from the
deskTop.  GEOS files have their own custom formats.

When a GEOS disk is validated with the usual CBM validate routine, it
frees up everything that isn't linked sequentially to a directory
entry.  This includes the off-page directory sector and the file
headers for each of the files.  In the case of a VLIR file, the only
thing left will be the index sector.  If you then save some new files
to the disk, you'll most likely overwrite some of this information.
If any new data gets written to the off-page directory sector, GEOS
will not allow the disk to be opened.

If you ever forget this and do a CBM validate on a GEOS disk,
immediately boot up GEOS and validate the disk from the deskTop.  It's
the only way to save your files.

* Randy Winchester * randy@mit.edu * PO Box 1074, Cambridge, MA 02142         *