[comp.sys.cbm] Fastloads vs. JiffyDOS

joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Joystyk) (12/31/90)

I have already bought an Action Replay v5.0, and I'm not satisfied with it.
I'm not going to return it though, because of shipping, and restocking
fees. I've already decided to sell it.  However, I AM going to buy another
either Fastload cartridge (not EPYX) or else JiffyDOS

I'm considering either the Super Snapshot V5 or JiffyDOS V6.
Can anyone recommend JiffyDOS for me? I've already had a report on the
SSv5.

I'm considering the JiffyDOS because I've read someones post here
yesterday, and they seemed to think it was great.  He said it was
totally compatible, except for two programs that he found... I think it was
the Fuzzy Fox dude... :-)
Well, compatibility, I've been using the Action Replay for a while, and
I've had many times to use the Normal Reset (which doesn't use the
cartridge at all for anything) because many of my programs do not work with
it. Only about 5 have... So, which is more compatible? SSv5 or JiffyDOS?
I'm leaning towards JiffyDOS.  I've read the ad in RUN magazine, and it
seems to have only a few features. Or are these just the ADDED features?
from the older versions, I mean...
If so, can someone tell me what some of the more important features of
JiffyDOS are?
And what's the difference between JiffyDOS for 64 and 128?  Is the 128
version of JiffyDOS for the C128 or C128D in 128 mode AND 64 mode or only
128 mode? (gotta cover all the stops!)  If so, I'll order the JiffyDOS 128
version for $60...
--
joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US / Luposlipaphobia:  the fear of being pursued
Trebor Sux   CBM rules       /  by timber wolves around a kitchen table

sd05@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Sylvain Tremblay / Eric Trepanier) (12/31/90)

On Dec 30, 12:46am, Joystyk wrote:
|As to the SSv5. I have found one for $58 from Software Discounter's
|International + $4 S&H... $62... I'll sell the Action Replay to my friend
|for $60. He'd buy it for that... :-)
|
|Okay... thanx... We should keepup this mail sends... :-)

It was a pleasure providing you those informations.  I was only doing my job
as a satisfied customer.  I saw your latest post in the Newsgroup.  You seem
to be unsure wether the SS5 or JiffyDos would make the best choice.  I may be
able to help you make that decision.

I can't talk about JiffyDos because I never used it.  From the comments I've
seen, and reviews I've read in the magazines, it sure looks like a good
piece of hardware.  It probably does what it's supposed to do (i.e. speed the
disk drive) better than any other fastloader cartridge, but I doubt it offers
as many features as the SS4/5 does; believe me, that cartridge is loaded with
useful utilities and programs.

However, as much as I like my SS4, there is one thing that really *bothers* me,
the fact that it is a *cartridge*...  I use my C128 mostly for serious
applications these days (programming, telecom, word processing, ...)  Most of
the programs I use support the REU.  So I find myself constantly switching
between the REU for serious stuff, and SS4 for recreation.  This is especially
annoying because I have a C128D, so the user port is not as easily accessible
as on a C64/C128, not to mention that this constant switching must be pretty
hard on the port connectors.  I tought of using an approspand, but I really
don't have enough space in the back of my computer for this...

So what's the best?  I don't know.  I'm not sure I would exchange my SS4 for
a JiffyDOs.  At least, not without trying it for while!  I guess it all
depends on what you do with your C64/128.  If you have an REU and plan to use
it a lot, perhaps JiffyDos is your best buy...  But if you do a lot of hacking
on the C64, the SS5 with its screen/sprite/sound grabbing abilities is sure
to take you in for a ride...

|joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US / Luposlipaphobia:  the fear of being pursued
|Trebor Sux   CBM rules       /  by timber wolves around a kitchen table
|I love ADL                  /   while wearing socks on a newly waxed floor

Eric Trepanier

ps:  Oh, about the compatibility issue.  I do play a lot of games (the ones
with the nasty protection scheme.  And I find that I very seldom have to
physically disable the cartridge (via the C128 disable switch).  In fact I
can't even recall ONE game that required I switched off the cartridge this way.
Some programs will require a software disable.  This is as simple as holding
the F8 key upon the POWER-UP/RESET sequence, just like holding the CBM key
to select 64 mode on a C128.  This works with 99.99% of the games.

Hope this info helps you make the best choice!!!

--
+-----------------------------------------------------------------///------+
|  Sylvain Tremblay        INTERNET: sd05@terre.USherb.CA    __  ///   /|  |

joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Joystyk) (01/01/91)

Well, thanks for MORE information on it.  I just didn't know if the SSv5 is
compatible with lots of things.  As to the Action Replay, it works with
hardly anything I have.
 A friend of mine here has JiffyDOS, and I'm going to ask him about it. I
never use REU's, and I never intend to, however, with JiffyDOS, there is no
Sprite Killer, or Infinite Lives generator either, I bet... Maybe I'll just
order JiffyDOS, then sell the Action Replay and buy a SSv4, because I doubt
if I need any of the extras that come with SSv5...
 Yes, I'll buy the JiffyDOS.  And then, if I find that I REALLY *need* the
Infinite Lives and all that, then later I'll get a SSv4 or 5..
 Does THIS seem logical?
--

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec30.211940.15200@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US> joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Joystyk) writes:
>I'm considering either the Super Snapshot V5 or JiffyDOS V6.

First, I'll tell you my setup.  I use a C128, 1571, and 1541, all with
JiffyDOS ROM's installed.  I also have a 1750 REU and Super Snapshot V5.
Originally I had just the SSv5, and I was quite happy with it.  The
number of functions is astounding, and it is truly a useful tool.  The
printer dump functions are the best out there that I have seen, the fast
loader is the fastest and most compatible that you can get in a
cartridge, and the game master functions (infinite lives, sprite kill,
joystick port swap) generally work well and are useful.  The built in
terminal program even works great with my 2400 baud modem!

SSv5 has a lot to offer, but it still has one flaw that makes it not
perfect for my setup.  It's a *cartridge*, so it causes a few problems.
First, it locks you into C64 mode until you disable it with the switch.
When you do that, you lose all the features when you go to 128 mode.
Now, I have a 1571, so the disk drive still moves quickly in that mode,
but it is still annoying to have to enable/disable the cartridge.  Also,
since I have an REU and have found it to be very useful for GEOS and
Maverick (disk backups), have found that more and more I *like* to have
the REU plugged in.  This is a major annoyance, so I am constantly
unplugging and plugging in cartridges.

Now, the folks at Skyles Electric Works make a wondrous device called a
Skyles 2+1, which allows you to plug 3 cartridges in at the same time,
one horizontally and two vertically.  Thus, you can plug in an REU and
two other cartridges and run them all it once, IF they do not conflict.
The big difference between SSv4 and SSv5 is that v4 DOES conflict and
CANNOT be used alongside an REU, while v5 DOES NOT conflict and in fact
has software designed to make FULL USE of an REU for many of its file
copying and disk backup programs.  This would be the ideal setup for me,
and in fact I own a Skyles 2+1, but for some reason my system does not
work properly with this setup, even though it should.

Now, on to JiffyDOS.  JDOS does not have all the nifty features of SSv5
like screen dumping and monitor control and game mastering.  It really
has only one purpose:  To speed up communication with your disk drive,
and it does it exceedingly well.  In fact, only recently have they added
a file copier function to JDOS v6 (which I don't have).  However, I have
found that JDOS + SSv5 works extremely well.  Whether the system loads
quickly or not does not depend on whether the cartridge is in or out.
The speeded up DOS functions work in both 64 and 128 modes.  There is
always a DOS wedge available from Basic, and it does not mess up a lot
of programs like SS's wedge does.  Also, SS's fastloader only works so
long as the program you load does not disable it.  It is a fact that
cartridge fast loaders can VERY EASILY be disabled and knocked out, so
that any software that wants to can kill your fastloader and go back to
slow loading, usually inadvertently.  With JDOS, there is NO SUCH THING
as slow loading.  JDOS is always there, in ROM.  It never gets in the
way, and it CANNOT BE DISABLED except by you, the user.  It always loads
fast.  Always.

I've written quite a bit here, so a summary is in order.

SSv5 is a great cartridge.  It offers some incredible features that in
my opinion make it worth much more than the purchase price.  It is the
best of all the add-on cartridges, but it is still a *cartridge* and so
it suffers from some of the small compatibility problems that are
inherent to the design.  In all fairness, it *minimizes* the problems,
but they still appear occasionally.  Usually disabling the cartridge
through software (shift-F7 on reset) works just fine.

JiffyDOS is more powerful than any cartridge.  It suffers from almost NO
compatibility problems.  It is truly a wonder to watch it work, and it
won't be long before you feel that you finally got your money's worth
from a product for your Commodore.  Soon you will not know why you put
up with your machine before.  It is simply amazing.

The Skyles 2+1 is the best expansion board to buy if you are using an
REU and SSv5 at the same time.  You can take full advantage of SS's
features with this expansion board, for only $30 (I think).

Let this message be a lesson to those of you with NO expansions on your
system:  If you are still loading the old, slow way, you are NOT getting
the full use of your machine, and you are probably hating it right now.
Spend a few more dollars on your machine and you will start loving it
again.  :)
--
begin 644 .signature
G5&AI<R!S<&%C92!I;G1E;G1I;VYA;&QY(&QE9G0@8FQA;FLN#0H:

end

sd05@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Sylvain Tremblay / Eric Trepanier) (01/01/91)

I read with much interest your article about the JiffyDos vs SS debate.
I am considering sending in my v4 for a v5 upgrade, but there were a few things
I was unsure of, for example, the ad I saw did mention that all copiers were
REU compatibles, but I was wondering how one could use both together.  I hadn't
realized these two cartridges could be used simultaneously with a port extender
gimmick.  Now here are a few questions you might be able to answer:

1. You say that the REU/SS5 combination is possible via the skyles cartridge
   extender.  However, it doesn't work on your system, right?  Do you know what
   the specific problem is?  Have you heard of someone who has been using the
   two cartridges succesfully?

   Can you give me the address where I can get this port extender?

2. The ad mentions a 2400BPS telecom program that is X/Y modem capable and has
   support for 40/80 column.  Does it do VT100?  And what does the 80 column
   screen look like?  The usual 320x200 bitmap (slow) screen?

And now, moving on to JiffyDos...

>[stuff deleted]  Also, SS's fastloader only works so
>long as the program you load does not disable it.  It is a fact that
>cartridge fast loaders can VERY EASILY be disabled and knocked out, so
>that any software that wants to can kill your fastloader and go back to
>slow loading, usually inadvertently.  With JDOS, there is NO SUCH THING
>as slow loading.  JDOS is always there, in ROM.  It never gets in the
>way, and it CANNOT BE DISABLED except by you, the user.  It always loads
>fast.  Always.

"NO SUCH THING AS SLOW LOADING", "IT CANNOT BE DISABLED", "IT ALWAYS LOADS
 FAST"...

Hmmm.  I have a hard time believing that.  Programs that *don't* work
with the SS4 usually hang up because they have their own (often weird)
fast-loading routines, which get in conflict with the SS4.  That's why only
programs like Taito's games with their V-MAX loaders, and programs like
GEOS usually don't work, or at least, disable the FAST LOADER's routines.

Personnaly, I doubt that neither GEOS, or any other weird copy-protected
fast-loading programs will boot up using the JiffyDos disk speed-up routines!
Am I wrong about this?  If not, what's the difference between a SS4 and a
JiffyDos.

>I've written quite a bit here, so a summary is in order.

Indeed, but I like your opinions about the several products.  You might
convince me to actually go out and get a JiffyDos.  Now, if I could only
find a 20 or 40Mb HD for my C128 under 400$!!!

>If you are still loading the old, slow way, you are NOT getting
>the full use of your machine, and you are probably hating it right now.
>Spend a few more dollars on your machine and you will start loving it
>again.  :)

Couldn't agree with you more on that subject!!!

>begin 644 .signature
>G5&AI<R!S<&%C92!I;G1E;G1I;VYA;&QY(&QE9G0@8FQA;FLN#0H:

Sincerely,

Eric Trepanier

|  Eric Trepanier          INTERNET: sd05@terre.dmi.usherb.ca              |
|  Laval, Qc, Can          TEL: (514) 663-6929                             |

sd05@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Sylvain Tremblay / Eric Trepanier) (01/01/91)

Oups, I just realized I did not mention who's article I was referring to in
the previous letter I sent.  I was commenting on the last article sent by
Mr. Fuzzy Fox, even though I think it was pretty obvious...

BTW, I would like to take advantage of this opportunity to offer my best wishes
for a happy new year to everyone on this newsgroup!

Eric Trepanier

leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) (01/02/91)

sd05@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Sylvain Tremblay / Eric Trepanier) writes:

>I read with much interest your article about the JiffyDos vs SS debate.
>I am considering sending in my v4 for a v5 upgrade, but there were a few things
>I was unsure of, for example, the ad I saw did mention that all copiers were
>REU compatibles, but I was wondering how one could use both together.  I hadn't
>realized these two cartridges could be used simultaneously with a port extender
>gimmick.  Now here are a few questions you might be able to answer:

>1. You say that the REU/SS5 combination is possible via the skyles cartridge
>   extender.  However, it doesn't work on your system, right?  Do you know what
>   the specific problem is?  Have you heard of someone who has been using the
>   two cartridges succesfully?

Yes, many people (REU owners, that is) like this feature very much.  I am
guessing that Mr. Fuzzy Fox has an original C128.  The early versions of
this computer seem to have problems with the power supplied to the Expansion
port.  We (LMS Technologies, the manufacturer) have not seen any problems
with a { Skyles 2+1, REU, SS V5 } combination on any C64 models, only on the
earliest C128 models.  Unfortunately, the expansion port was only designed
to handle a single LS TTL load, so you can't fault Commodore for the early
C128's.

>   Can you give me the address where I can get this port extender?

I could look it up if someone else doesn't post it.

>2. The ad mentions a 2400BPS telecom program that is X/Y modem capable and has
>   support for 40/80 column.  Does it do VT100?  And what does the 80 column
>   screen look like?  The usual 320x200 bitmap (slow) screen?

The terminal emulator (SnapTerm by Matthew Desmond) does a very nice color
ANSI emulation, and handles speeds up to 4800bps on a C64, or 9600bps on a
C128 in 80-col mode (running at 2MHz).  The 80-col mode is only available on
C128's.

>And now, moving on to JiffyDos...
If we must... :-)

>>[stuff deleted]  Also, SS's fastloader only works so
>>long as the program you load does not disable it.  It is a fact that
>>cartridge fast loaders can VERY EASILY be disabled and knocked out, so
>>that any software that wants to can kill your fastloader and go back to
>>slow loading, usually inadvertently.  With JDOS, there is NO SUCH THING
>>as slow loading.  JDOS is always there, in ROM.  It never gets in the
>>way, and it CANNOT BE DISABLED except by you, the user.  It always loads
>>fast.  Always.

>"NO SUCH THING AS SLOW LOADING", "IT CANNOT BE DISABLED", "IT ALWAYS LOADS
> FAST"...

I understand what he's trying to say, but it isn't true technically.  ANY
loader can be disabled.  Most load methods in the past have used one of the
3 following general methods:
	a) simple call to $FFD5 (LOAD vector)
	b) direct calls to ACPTR for custom format, slow load
	c) completely custom loader

I haven't seen any new games that use approach (b) in a LOOONG time.  Case
(b) is the only LOADing case that a ROM replacement can handle that a
cartridge can't.  No add-on device of any kind will speed up case (c),
including both JDOS and SS V5!

>Hmmm.  I have a hard time believing that.  Programs that *don't* work
>with the SS4 usually hang up because they have their own (often weird)
>fast-loading routines, which get in conflict with the SS4.  That's why only
>programs like Taito's games with their V-MAX loaders, and programs like
>GEOS usually don't work, or at least, disable the FAST LOADER's routines.

You are absolutely correct.  You may be interested in knowing that the most
common reason for SSV4/V5 'getting in the way' is the function key driver.
Try '>KD' to disable the function keys if you have problems (instead of
completely disabling the cartridge).

>Personnaly, I doubt that neither GEOS, or any other weird copy-protected
>fast-loading programs will boot up using the JiffyDos disk speed-up routines!
>Am I wrong about this?  If not, what's the difference between a SS4 and a
>JiffyDos.

You are correct again. :-) What's the difference?  I'd better let somebody
more objective handle that question for now.

>>I've written quite a bit here, so a summary is in order.
>>

>>begin 644 .signature
>>G5&AI<R!S<&%C92!I;G1E;G1I;VYA;&QY(&QE9G0@8FQA;FLN#0H:

>Eric Trepanier

BTW, the latest version of SS is V5.22, which was released circa May 1990.

Marcel A. LeBlanc  --  Electrical Eng. Computer Group, Univ. of Toronto
leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu		else: uunet!utcsri!eecg!leblanc

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (01/02/91)

In article <1991Jan1.165812.10735@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) writes:
>I am guessing that Mr. Fuzzy Fox has an original C128.  The early versions of
>this computer seem to have problems with the power supplied to the Expansion
>port....

Yes, this is indeed the problem I'm having.  In fact, I occasionally
even have trouble simply with the cartridge itself, but the fault lies
in my computer.  Say, do you have any ideas on how I can alleviate this
situation?  Besides buying a 128D?

>>   Can you give me the address where I can get this port extender?
>
>I could look it up if someone else doesn't post it.

Here it is...

Skyle Electric Works
231E South Whisman Road
Mountain View, CA 94041
(415) 965-1735

The product is called the Skyles 2+1 Cartride Expansion.
The price is $34.95 plus $4.50 S/H.

>I understand what he's trying to say, but it isn't true technically.  ANY
>loader can be disabled.  Most load methods in the past have used one of the
>3 following general methods:
>	a) simple call to $FFD5 (LOAD vector)
>	b) direct calls to ACPTR for custom format, slow load
>	c) completely custom loader
>
>I haven't seen any new games that use approach (b) in a LOOONG time.  Case
>(b) is the only LOADing case that a ROM replacement can handle that a
>cartridge can't.  No add-on device of any kind will speed up case (c),
>including both JDOS and SS V5!

Well, you are mostly correct there.  Surprise surprise, the JiffyDOS
protocol replaces all drive communications with high-speed data
transfer, but as you point out, it will not be as fast as a direct LOAD
routine.  However, even a direct ACPTR "load" routine under JDOS will
load at about 3-5 times faster than normal, about on par with the old
Epyx FastLoad.  When performing a standard $FFD5 LOAD, 10-15 times
speedups usually occur.  The exact load speedup depends on the sector
interleave that the file was saved with.  This is where SS can beat
JDOS:  SS's 1541 fast-loader loads at the same 15x speed, regardless of
sector interleave.  Pretty amazing.  If only a simple call to $FF8A
didn't kill the SS loader.  It's still surprising how many software
packages inadvertently kill your cartridge loader.  This is where JDOS
wins:  The faster load routines are located in the same place as the
old, slow routines on an unmodified computer.  So a direct call to the
old, slow ROM routines (even $F4A5) still results in a fast load.

In the third case, many programs (such as GEOS or Electronic Arts games)
use their own custom disk turbo code.  In these cases, no program will
speed up the drive.  They will load at the same rate they did before,
which is generally rather fast.

SS has the advantages in many ways:  It gives you a super hacker
monitor, very nice screen printing and saving, good game utilities, a
nice terminal program, a DOS wedge, and much much more.  It loses out
somewhat in compatibility, but that is to be expected.  If you don't
mind having to buy an expansion board to use your REU, and you don't
mind occasionally having to fiddle with the cartridge to get a program
to work, then go for it.  It is definitely worth buying.

JiffyDOS offers much less than SS as far as functionality.  What it
offers though is *incredible* compatibility.  Your drive will always be
going as fast as it can, and you can be assured of that.  It also leaves
your cartridge port open, so you can still use SS, or if you have
another cartridge like Explode or Final Cart. or whatever, you can
always still benefit with JDOS.  You also get JiffyDOS working in 128
mode if you have that machine, and you get a DOS wedge and function keys
that don't get in the way of programs.  You can't lose.  :)

But whatever you do, buy SOMETHING for your computer if you don't have
any sort of speed-up.  The two mentioned above are, in my opinion, the
best of the add-ons you can get for your Commodore.
--

CTuna@cup.portal.com (Image - BBS) (01/02/91)

 > It's still surprising how many software
 > packages inadvertently kill your cartridge loader.

 > SS has the advantages in many ways:  It gives you a super hacker
 > monitor, very nice screen printing and saving, good game utilities, a
 > nice terminal program, a DOS wedge, and much much more.  It loses out
 > somewhat in compatibility, but that is to be expected.  If you don't
 > mind having to buy an expansion board to use your REU, and you don't
 > mind occasionally having to fiddle with the cartridge to get a program
 > to work, then go for it.  It is definitely worth buying.

One thing some may have overlooked, and a feature I take advantage of
often, it the ability of SSv5 to "freeze" and save a program.  If you
have a piece of software that SSv5 will not speed-load, simply load it,
freeze it, save it, and then the *new* saved program should speed load
and run fine.  This will also work 90% of the time with software pack-
ages that SSv5 "gets in the way" of. Try it!

luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) (01/03/91)

I have been a user of JiffyDOS for a few years. Started with a C64/1541
and then a C128/1571/1581/1750. I even upgraded to 6.01 from 5.05.

In total, I *LOVE* it. The only problem I *EVER* had was in loading
DesTerm 1.0 and it was easy to get around by using DLOAD in the place of
a wedge command. I speak highly of it. I have used a fastloader or three
:-) but JiffyDOS blows their doors off, not just speed, but what you
get in functionality.

And what you get for the C128 is the JiffyDOS for both the C128 side of
the machine and the C64 side. You also get 1 disk drive ROM (your
choice) with the package. For $69, you cannot beat it. You can buy extra
drive ROMs for $29 each (I think that's the price).

I'm not affiliated with CMD, just a very satisfied customer.

leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) (01/03/91)

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) writes:

>In article <1991Jan1.165812.10735@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) writes:
>>I am guessing that Mr. Fuzzy Fox has an original C128.  The early versions of
>>this computer seem to have problems with the power supplied to the Expansion
>>port....

>Yes, this is indeed the problem I'm having.  In fact, I occasionally
>even have trouble simply with the cartridge itself, but the fault lies
>in my computer.  Say, do you have any ideas on how I can alleviate this
>situation?  Besides buying a 128D?

I wish I did!  Seriously, there was a related expansion port power supply
problem on the earliest (pre-production?) C128's, and the fix for this
apparently also fixes power supply problems in early production models.  As
you've probably guessed from the fuzziness of my previous sentence, we
haven't been able to get information about this fix!  However, this is only
anecdotal, and Commodore has denied the existence of such a fix, so it
probably never existed.

>>I understand what he's trying to say, but it isn't true technically.  ANY
>>loader can be disabled.  Most load methods in the past have used one of the
>>3 following general methods:
>>	a) simple call to $FFD5 (LOAD vector)
>>	b) direct calls to ACPTR for custom format, slow load
>>	c) completely custom loader
>>
>>I haven't seen any new games that use approach (b) in a LOOONG time.  Case
>>(b) is the only LOADing case that a ROM replacement can handle that a
>>cartridge can't.  No add-on device of any kind will speed up case (c),
>>including both JDOS and SS V5!

>Well, you are mostly correct there.  Surprise surprise, the JiffyDOS
>protocol replaces all drive communications with high-speed data
>transfer, but as you point out, it will not be as fast as a direct LOAD
>routine.  However, even a direct ACPTR "load" routine under JDOS will
>load at about 3-5 times faster than normal, about on par with the old
>Epyx FastLoad.

Agreed; this is also on par with IEEE interfaced drives.

>...   When performing a standard $FFD5 LOAD, 10-15 times
>speedups usually occur.  The exact load speedup depends on the sector
>interleave that the file was saved with.  This is where SS can beat
>JDOS:  SS's 1541 fast-loader loads at the same 15x speed, regardless of
>sector interleave.  Pretty amazing.

Agreed again, but the figure of '10-15 times' speedup with JDOS is only with
an optimal interleave.  If you try to LOAD a large program that has been
saved at the standard 1541 interleave of 10 sectors, you'll get about the
same speed up as Epyx FastLoad gives you, which is about 5-5.5 times.  If you
don't believe this, use the file copier on SS V5 to copy a large file (say,
200 blocks) to a new disk at a 10 sector interleave (the 1541 standard).
Then LOAD it with JDOS on and off.  This group had a fairly extensive
discussion about speed up vs. interleave about 1.5 years ago.  Just for
kicks, LOAD the same file with your SS V5.

joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Joystyk) (01/03/91)

luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) writes:

>You also get 1 disk drive ROM (your
>choice) with the package. For $69, you cannot beat it. You can buy extra
>drive ROMs for $29 each (I think that's the price).

A drive ROM of your choice? What is meant by that?
Also, for lower prices, BRIWALL has the 64 version for $50+S&H and
the 128 version for $60+S&H...
I'm getting the 128 version... as I sell this stupid Action Replay...

One more thing.  Is it really that easy to install the ROM's?  Like, say,
could a 15 year old do it?  (oops!) I'm 15, how about that...?
--

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (01/03/91)

In article <1991Jan2.144725.17549@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) writes:
>Agreed again, but the figure of '10-15 times' speedup with JDOS is only with
>an optimal interleave.  If you try to LOAD a large program that has been
>saved at the standard 1541 interleave of 10 sectors, you'll get about the
>same speed up as Epyx FastLoad gives you, which is about 5-5.5 times.

Good point, something I neglected to mention.  This is a case where your
file copier can make a difference.  (Of course everyone out there is
using Maverick, aren't you?)

A save skew of 10 will give you approx. 5x speedup; a skew of 6 will
give you a speedup of 7-10x (guessing); and a skew of 4 will give you
about 15x speedup, but only on a 1571.  1581 drives do not have problems
with sector skewing, since they buffer whole tracks at a time.  You will
find a tremendous boost of performance if you use a filecopier to copy
files to a new disk, and use an optimum interleave.

JDOS automatically saves files in the 'best' interleave, so simply
On a side note, be aware that the loading method also affects load time,
as with SEQ files.  SEQ, USR, and REL files are saved by JDOS with an
interleave of 10, so that they will load at the fastest rate possible,
about 5x speedup.  PRG files are saved at the optimum interleave for the
drive you save them on.  1541 drives will save PRG's at a skew of 6,
while 1571 drives will save at a skew of 4.  So you can see that a 1541
will load at about 7-10x, while a 1571 will load at 15x.  This is a side
benefit of using a 1571, and also be aware that JDOS always uses double
sided mode on 1571's, so you can use double-sided disks, even when the
drive is in the so-called 1541 mode (ie, U0>M0).

Note that a 1541 even with JDOS cannot read sectors with a skew of 4 at
optimum speed.  So a file saved with JDOS on a 1571 will load slower
than normal if a 1541 is used to load it back.

>Just for kicks, LOAD the same file with your SS V5.

This is my favorite SS feature, the fact that a file can load at optimum
speed regardles of save skew.  Kudos!
--

In article <1991Jan2.201730.10706@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US> joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Joystyk) writes:
>A drive ROM of your choice? What is meant by that?

When you buy JiffyDOS, you must specify which computer and drives you
are using (ie, C128, 128D, C64, 64C, SX-64, and 1541, 1541-C, 1571,
1581, FSD, FSD-II, etc.).  They have different ROMs for each type of
hardware you might have, and they need to know what type of ROM to send
you.
--

CTuna@cup.portal.com (Image - BBS) (01/03/91)

 >> You also get 1 disk drive ROM (your
 >> choice) with the package. For $69, you cannot beat it. You can buy
 >> extra drive ROMs for $29 each (I think that's the price).

 > A drive ROM of your choice? What is meant by that?

I believe he means a ROM for any C= drive such as 1541, 1571 or 1581.
Yes???

luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) (01/03/91)

Re: "Drive ROM of your choice"

Tell the people if you want the rive ROM for a
1541/1571/1581/MSD/Enhancer 200 etc. They can't
'know' which drive you have.

bwildasi@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Ben Wildasin) (01/03/91)

Suppose that I wanted to equip my 128D and its internal 1571 with JiffyDOS.
How much would this cost me? (i.e. does the internal drive count as part of
the computer?) I assume that after that, adding more drives would proceed
at the $29.95 rate (or whatever it is).

inquiring minds want to know...

Ben Wildasin     |     All booms are sonic      |     bwildasi@ucs.indiana.edu

XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET (01/04/91)

I don't believe you can JiffyDos an internal 1571.  That's my impression
from reading the literature from the makers of JD.

KAJ
XWUU@PURCCVM

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan3.154655.27553@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> bwildasi@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Ben Wildasin) writes:

>Suppose that I wanted to equip my 128D and its internal 1571 with JiffyDOS.
>How much would this cost me? (i.e. does the internal drive count as part of
>the computer?)

When you buy JiffyDOS, one drive ROM is included in the price.  The
internal 1571 is considered a drive, in this case.  If you have external
drives, they would be extra.
--

neusoft@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan3.154655.27553@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, bwildasi@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Ben Wildasin) writes:

> Suppose that I wanted to equip my 128D and its internal 1571 with JiffyDOS.
> How much would this cost me? (i.e. does the internal drive count as part of
> the computer?) I assume that after that, adding more drives would proceed
> at the $29.95 rate (or whatever it is).
>
> inquiring minds want to know...

The exact cost is $74.45 including shipping from CMD for a C128D system.  The
C128D system includes ROM's for both the coputer and the internal 1571 drive.

XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET (01/05/91)

I stand corrected re: JiffyDos and internal drives; I was thinking of another
add-on product - sorry!

In this line of discussion, is anyone certain of the support for the
Excelerator plus disk drive by JD?  It has a Commodore ROM in it; I would
assume that a standard 1541 parts kit would fit.  BUT the Excelerator plus
runs several RPM faster than the 1541 and is a direct drive unit rather than
a belt driven machine.

Any comments from users of JD and the Excelerator?

Kirk A. Janowiak
XWUU@PURCCVM