[comp.sys.cbm] 1750 GEOS KERNAL, part2

EAO102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ernie Oporto) (01/08/91)

Apparently no one who responded got my question.  In the GEOS 1.3 manual, it st
ates:  Thr REU comes bundled with a special version of the GEOS KERNAL and a sp
ecial deskTop designed to take advantage of the additional RAM.

It is this that I need.

an207@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (David DeSimone) (01/08/91)

In a previous article, EAO102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ernie Oporto) writes:
>Apparently no one who responded got my question.  In the GEOS 1.3 manual,
>it states:  The REU comes bundled with a special version of the GEOS
>KERNAL and a special deskTop designed to take advantage of the additional RAM.

I'm sure I have that disk lying around here somewhere, but I abandonded
GEOS 1.3 completely when I moved up to 2.0.  Things just seems to work
better under 2.0, and the newest desktop is a wonder to use.

With the 1.3 upgradge, you get a RAMdisk driver, so that you can use a
RAMdisk under GEOS.  This helps quite a bit.  However, 1.3 still only
recognizes 1541 drives.  With 2.0 you can use a 1541, 1571, or 1581.  If
you have a 512K REU, the best you can do under 1.3 is to have one drive
as a 1541 (shadowed, meaning it uses the REU as a very fast disk cache)
and a RAM 1541.  GEOS 1.3 does not recognize more than two drives, so if
you have two drives, you must either turn one off, or forget about the
RAM disk and just shadow both drives.

GEOS 2.0 will give you a RAM 1571 with a 512K REU.  The deskTop is
friendlier and gives you more keyboard shortcuts, and it works in color
on a 40 column screen.  You can select multiple files and copy them in
batches, instead of one at a time.  Basically, if you have an REU and
you're not using 2.0, you should get it.  In fact, even if you don't
have an REU, you should be using 2.0.

--
begin 644 .signature
G5&AI<R!S<&%C92!I;G1E;G1I;VYA;&QY(&QE9G0@8FQA;FLN#0H:

end

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/08/91)

EAO102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ernie Oporto) writes:

>Apparently no one who responded got my question.  In the GEOS 1.3 manual, it
>states:  Thr REU comes bundled with a special version of the GEOS KERNAL and a
>special deskTop designed to take advantage of the additional RAM.

Bizarre... my 1750 didn't come with this.  At any rate, GEOS 2.0 includes
anything that this bundled disk would include, so if you upgrade to 2.0
you won't need anything else.  As to 1.3, I am not sure.  Did anyone else
get this disk with their 1750?

-Rob
rknop@gap.cco.caltech.edu