[comp.sys.cbm] 1750 REU GEOS KERNAL NEEDED!!!

EAO102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ernie Oporto) (01/07/91)

     Here's my situation.  I just bought a 1750 REU.  I gotit for $75 from some
one else.  The problem is he bought it before GEOS came out when they started t
o bundle the new kernal with it.  I have GEOS version 1.3 and plan to upgrade.
 Is there a difference  between the 1.3 REU kernal and the one for 2.0?  I gues
s I just need a copy of the stuff thats on the disk the REU comes with.  Anyone
 care to send it to me or refer me to someone I should contact for purchasing i
t?  Also, does anyone know if the REU acts as a third drive if you have two 154
1s attached to your 128 system?

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/07/91)

EAO102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ernie Oporto) writes:
> Is there a difference  between the 1.3 REU kernal and the one for 2.0?
>I guess I just need a copy of the stuff thats on the disk the REU comes with.

I don't know if there is any difference between the RAM disk drivers of
GEOS 1.3 and 2.0, but 2.0 is far, far superior to 1.3; The desktop
(specifically) is greatly improved and worth the upgrade.

About the disk that comes with the REU: you probably don't actually NEED it.
It has some neat demos ("gee, look what you can do if you can stash away
512K worth of graphic screens, there for instant recall!") and one
"ramtest" program (that writes to every memory location in your 1750).

If you want to use the REU as a RAMdisk outside of GEOS, I believe there is a
program called RAMDOS that will let you do it with BASIC.  Other programs
(e.g. Desterm) define their own RAMdisk.

-Rob Knop
rknop@gap.cco.caltech.edu

JMHAAS@MTUS5.BITNET (Elezar) (01/07/91)

If I understand the question correctly, simply having the RAM expander
is enough.  The chip inside the RMU handles everything, it's just the
way that the various versions of GEOS handle having the extra RAM to
play with that differs.

XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET (01/08/91)

I beleive the 1.3 Kernal will do the REU; that's what came with my 1764.
The 2.0 is worth the upgrade, however, for the additional power of geoWrite
(2.1?) and the other included utilities.

If you have two 1541's, you will probbably want to use the REU as disk
number TWO (B);the second 1541 as disk number Three (or C). You may,
in fact, be limited in this fashion by the configure program.
GEOS does not use three drives as you might expect - you must choose two
from which you can easily move files to and fro.  Using your REU as a
"SHADOW" of one of your disks is really neat, too - and SAFE! Shadowing
lets you keep your data fils on disk, butCputs the data in the REU in the
eyes of the application program.  It's a fast way to work with a file while
still doing writes, etc to the disk.  It has saved loss of data for me during
power failures, etc.

Now that you have a 1764 - and cheap I might add - spend $25 more and upgrade
to 512K.  Them you can have a shadow for both of your drives, or shadow on
and use th REU as a RAM disk!  It's really easy (see my previous postings)
and only taks a couple of hours - MAX!

XWUU@PURCCVM   Kirk A. JAnowiak

XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET (01/08/91)

Oops! my apologies - you already have a 1750, not a 1764.  You don't need
the 512K conversion.  You are already set to go.
Sorry for the inconsistency.