[comp.sys.cbm] geoWizard

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/05/91)

bwildasi@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Ben Wildasin) writes:

>Has anyone had any experience with this new piece of software called
>geoWizard? Any impressions?

I've just (this last week) purchased geoWizard.  What it is is a utility
that installs itself in your system, and hides, transparent to the system,
until you evoke it by pressing both buttons on the mouse (or, if you use a
joystick, a keyboard/button combination).  When you invoke it, which you
can do from within any applicatin, it saves the state of the system to the
REU.  Then, you can do things like Run a DA, echo a copy of the screen to
the printer, reboot GEOS, exit to the desktop, or (most notably) run
another application.  If you run an application, you return to the
application from whence you called geoWizard, everything intact.  So
therefore you could do something like run geoPaint from within geoWrite,
without having to exit Write first.

Also incuded on the disk are a few other goodies, like the MiniDesTop, a
DA that allows you to copy, scratch, and rename files, and a screen dump
utility (runnable only from within geoWizard) that dumps the screen to
either a photo scrap or a geoPaint file.

The programming is excellent, as one would expect since it is written by
none less than Jim Collette.  I myself am very happy with geoWizard.

>Does it work in 80-column mode? (For that matter, is it compatible
>at all with GEOS 128?) Is it freely available? If not, how much does it
>cost?

geoWizard runs under both GEOS 64 and GEOS 128, the latter in both 40 and
80 column mode (indeed, the screen dump feature includes some special
support for the 80 column screen).  It is not freeware; it is available
for $16.50 from:

Comm-Plex Software
6782 Junction Road
Pavilion, NY  14525-9755

-Rob Knop
rknop@gap.cco.caltech.edu  [I think]

an207@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (David DeSimone) (01/07/91)

In a previous article, rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) writes:
>geoWizard runs under both GEOS 64 and GEOS 128, the latter in both 40 and
>80 column mode (indeed, the screen dump feature includes some special
>support for the 80 column screen).

If I'm not mistaken, I believe GeoWizard also requires an upgraded REU
with at least 1 Megabyte.  Is this correct?

--
begin 644 .signature
G5&AI<R!S<&%C92!I;G1E;G1I;VYA;&QY(&QE9G0@8FQA;FLN#0H:

end

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/07/91)

an207@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (David DeSimone) writes:
>If I'm not mistaken, I believe GeoWizard also requires an upgraded REU
>with at least 1 Megabyte.  Is this correct?

I believe that geoWizard will run with a standard 512K 1750 running a RAM 1571.
There is a program on Q-Link that will check your system and tell you if you
can run geoWizard with it.  If people want, I will post a uuencoded version of
it here (it is quite short).

-Rob Knop
rknop@gap.cco.caltech.edu

neusoft@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (01/10/91)

In article <9101062209.AA03438@cwns16.INS.CWRU.Edu>, an207@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (David DeSimone) writes:

> In a previous article, rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) writes:
>geoWizard runs under both GEOS 64 and GEOS 128, the latter in both 40 and
>80 column mode (indeed, the screen dump feature includes some special
>support for the 80 column screen).

Quickie Question...Just what is GeoWizard, and would it work with GEOram??
Also, is it available at Milton?

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/10/91)

neusoft@vax1.mankato.msus.edu writes:
>Quickie Question...Just what is GeoWizard, and would it work with GEOram??
>Also, is it available at Milton?

I posted a description before, but for those of you who missed it:

geoWizard is a GEOS utility which installs itself in your REU and lays
dormant until you invoke it.  You invoke it by pressing both buttons on
your mouse together, or, if you use a joystick, by a keyprss/stick button
combination.  When you do invoke it, it saves the state of the system to
the REU, and then you can do a number of things, including dump a copy of
the screen to the printer, reboot, quit to desktop, load a DA, or load an
application.  If you reboot or quit to the desktop, the application you
are running is lost (of course), but if you do any of the others, when you
exit that, you are returned to your application exactly where you left
off.  So, you could be running geoWrite, then actiavate geoWizard, run
geoPaint; when you exit geoPaint, you will be put right back into
geoWrite, with everything attached.

The geoWizard disk includes a few other goodies, like DA's to dump the
screen to a geoPaint file or Photo Scrap, and a DA which allows you to
scratch/copy/rename files.

geoWizard is not freeware or shareware, and consequently is not available
at milton.  You can get it for $16.50 from:

Comm-Plex Software
6782 Junction Road
Pavilion, New York  14525-9755

-Rob Knop
rknop@tyablt.caltech.edu

lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) (01/13/91)

  I just wanted to add to the information on geoWizard...

You need to have an REU (can use GEORAM) that has at least one 64K RAM
bank free. I think someone posted a program that will check this. You
can also use the following info...

512K with a 1571 or 41 RAMDISK:  ok to run geoWizard
1 MB with a 1581, 71, or 41 RAMDISK:  ok to run geoWizard
256K with a 1541 RAMDISK:  NOT ENOUGH MEMORY to run geoWizard
128K (no RAMDISKS permitted):  should be ok to run geoWizard

Please make sure your system can run geoWizard before ordering, as
there is NO REFUNDS!

As for how it works... it's great. Since GEOS wasn't designed to work
with it, there are some precautions and limits. The documentation is
excellent and should clarify all compatibility questions.

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (01/13/91)

In article <Jan.12.14.13.54.1991.27242@remus.rutgers.edu> lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) writes:
>Since GEOS wasn't designed to work with it, there are some precautions
>and limits. The documentation is excellent and should clarify all
>compatibility questions.

Wouldn't it be nice to know the incompatibilities BEFORE you buy?
Otherwise it'd be a waste of money for some people.
--

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/13/91)

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) writes:
>Wouldn't it be nice to know the incompatibilities BEFORE you buy?
>Otherwise it'd be a waste of money for some people.

The incompatibilities listed in the doc files that come with geoWizard are:

1) Don't use geoWizard with the SuperDebugger.  I (Rob) take this to mean,
don't activated geoWizard from within the SuperDebugger, and vice versa.  I
have geoWizard installed while I ran the SuperDebugger, and geoWizard still
worked afterward.

2) Don't use SuperBox 128 with geoWizard

3) If starting geoWizard from within geoWrite, don't modify the Text
Scrapt.

There are other incompatibilities listed in the docs, but those have been
fixed.  Jim now includes a second program with geoWizard that moves
geoWizard's handle into the GEOS kernal to a different (user specifiable)
place in memory, which makes geoWizard compatible with most things.  There
may also be other programs which show up in the future which, for whatever
reason, are incompatible with geoWizard.  And you can always confuse it by
doing things like deleting from disk the application from which you activated
geoWizard.  (The Text Scrap business is an example along these lines.)

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu