[comp.sys.cbm] Geos help

dan.copeland@canremote.uucp (DAN COPELAND) (11/12/89)

The problem is probably that your printer is a 60dpi printer and geos is
designed to work with 80DPI printers so you loose the right 1/3 of every
document from geopaint.  Try reducing your width 1/3 and it will work
out or try a 80DPI printer
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Mark Ford) (01/14/91)

I have a few questions about Geos and Geos 2.0

First, does anyone know if it is possible to create a Geos boot disk on a
1581?  I would like to use it to boot with since I leave both 1581 and 1571
and device 8.  (It is a pain to get at the back to switch them because of
the cabinet the system is in, and the cords prevent pulling them out very
far.)
Some time ago, I managed to copy the two boot files and the Geos Kernal to
the 1581.  (I don't remember how I did this, but they are there.)  When I
boot the 1581 disk, it says booting GEOS.......  then hangs.

Second, is Geos 128 2.0 worth the $50?  I would like to get it, but I am
not sure.  Does anyone know if they fixed the problem copying files?
When I want to copy a file from 1581 disk to another 1581 disk, (or 1571
disk to 1571 disk) I drag the icon to the boarder, close the disk, take
out the 1581 disk, and stick in a new one.  When I open the new 1581 disk
and drag the icon onto the deskpad, it says to stick the first 1581 disk
into Drive A.  Ha, drive A is my 1571 and will have trouble reading the
1581 disk!!

Any comments are very welcome.
Thank you.
Mark Ford
mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/14/91)

mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Mark Ford) writes:

>I have a few questions about Geos and Geos 2.0

>First, does anyone know if it is possible to create a Geos boot disk on a
>1581?

This is possible; there is a program called the 1581 Boot Disk Maker by (yes)
Jim Collette.  It is distributed on Run, but available through Q-Link.  I'll
check with Jim to see if I can upload it to milton.  It is in a "special
libraries" sort of thing, so that may not be possible.  There are two
versions, one for the 64 and one for the 128.

>Second, is Geos 128 2.0 worth the $50?

Do you have GEOS128 right now?  If so, you may be able to upgrade for $25
still.  I'll check and let y'all know.  The upgrade is definitely worth $25;
if you use GEOS much, the upgrade is probably worth $50.  Any other opinions
on this?

>Does anyone know if they fixed the problem copying files?

I don't know about this one.  I have the same setup as you, but have never
seen the problem because I have an REU and any copies I do I do via the
RAMdisk.  This too I'll try and let y'all know how it goes.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Mark Ford) (01/14/91)

From article <1991Jan13.183214.4261@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, by rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop):

> Do you have GEOS128 right now?  If so, you may be able to upgrade for $25
> still.  I'll check and let y'all know.  The upgrade is definitely worth $25;
> if you use GEOS much, the upgrade is probably worth $50.  Any other opinions
> on this?

Yes, I have GEOS128.  I would like to upgrade if possible for $25.

If you could upload the 1581 boot disk maker for the C-128 I would greatly
appreciate it!

Thank you for your help.

Mark Ford
mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (01/15/91)

In article <3904@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Mark Ford) writes:
>When I want to copy a file from 1581 disk to another 1581 disk, (or 1571
>disk to 1571 disk) I drag the icon to the boarder, close the disk, take
>out the 1581 disk, and stick in a new one.  When I open the new 1581 disk
>and drag the icon onto the deskpad, it says to stick the first 1581 disk
>into Drive A.  Ha, drive A is my 1571 and will have trouble reading the
>1581 disk!!

GEOS still has that problem of thinking that it can read any disk in any
drive, I think.  However, unlike GEOS 1.3, it does not make the stupid
mistake of asking you to insert a disk into your RAMdrive (DUMB!).

However, think of it this way...if GEOS did what you wanted and let you
swap disks in and out, you would probably have to swap the disk 30 times
for even a reasonably sized file (say, if you copy GeoWrite).  Probably
your fastest and easiest method is to copy the 1581 file to a scratch
1571 disk, then go back again.  If that doesn't appeal to you, you can
wear your arm out swapping disks, or buy some GeoRAM.  :)
--
begin 644 .signature
G5&AI<R!S<&%C92!I;G1E;G1I;VYA;&QY(&QE9G0@8FQA;FLN#0H:

end

mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Mark Ford) (01/15/91)

From article <1991Jan14.173632.5556@evax.arl.utexas.edu>, by cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox):

> However, think of it this way...if GEOS did what you wanted and let you
> swap disks in and out, you would probably have to swap the disk 30 times
> for even a reasonably sized file (say, if you copy GeoWrite).  Probably

I have copied GeoPaint and GeoWrite from a 1571 disk to another 1571 disk
via one drive method (drag icon to boarder, swap disks, etc.) many times.
Using Geos 128, it takes only one swap and it copies rather fast!

I could copy it to the 1581 then back to another 1571 disk, but it is
still silly to have to do that!!  Oh well, could be worst.

Mark Ford.
mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/15/91)

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) writes:
>GEOS still has that problem of thinking that it can read any disk in any
>drive, I think.  However, unlike GEOS 1.3, it does not make the stupid
>mistake of asking you to insert a disk into your RAMdrive (DUMB!).

My GEOS 2.0 did this the other day... I was testing this out, and it told
me to insert a 3.5" disk into Drive B, which was a RAM disk!  Crazy.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu