[comp.sys.cbm] archiving program problems

XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET (01/12/91)

I am having problems un-archiving some downloaded programs with:
 1. LYNX V9, and
 2. Zip-Unzip

I have downloaded these utilities from several sites and the results are
always the same.  Let me explain...

I download the archived program via FTPing in binary, transfer the file to
my C64 via binary w/ Kermit 2.2, then attempt to un-lynx or un-zip with
the previously downloaded utility.
The lynx V9 program boots up, gives me a pretty screen and menu, allows me
to choose the menu item, shows me a list of files that I may un-lynx, then
recycles back to the main menu without performing ANy of the chosen operations.

It just sits there.  It does not matter what operation I choose - lynx,
un-lynx, disk operations, etc.  It just doesn't do anything.  I have not found
any other LYNX flavor or variety at the FTP sites.

The zip-unzip program seems to do its job; it separates out the files alright,
but it seems to write a PROGRAM to the disk's DIRECTORY!  The files won't
run once they have been unzipped.

Any comments, suggestions, sage words of advice?
There is alot of neat stuff out there that is either LYNX'ed or ZIP'ed.
I'd really like to figure out how to get it!

Thanks in advance...

Kirk A Janowiak
XWUU@PURCCVM

PS to Frank Prindle...BLESS you for putting the 2400 baud patch at MILTON!
I works great and I have found no problem that can be traced to the higher
speed.  Virtual reality at 2400 baud is a real Kick!  Thanks!

scott@max.u.washington.edu (01/12/91)

In article <91011.222618XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET>, XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET writes:
> The lynx V9 program boots up, gives me a pretty screen and menu, allows me
> to choose the menu item, shows me a list of files that I may un-lynx, then
> recycles back to the main menu without performing ANy of the chosen operations.
>
> It just sits there.  It does not matter what operation I choose - lynx,
> un-lynx, disk operations, etc.  It just doesn't do anything.  I have not found
> any other LYNX flavor or variety at the FTP sites.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Kirk A Janowiak
> XWUU@PURCCVM

With Lynx IX there one subtle thing that you need to do in order to
carry out the operation. When the list appears for lynxing or de-lynxing
your need to select the files by pressing "y" to select or "n" to skip.
This is not intuitively obivious.

I hope this is what was causing the problem with Lynx

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (01/12/91)

In article <91011.222618XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET> XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET writes:
>The lynx V9 program boots up, gives me a pretty screen and menu, allows me
>to choose the menu item, shows me a list of files that I may un-lynx, then
>recycles back to the main menu without performing ANy of the chosen operations.

Some Lynx's are sensitive to whether the files is SEQ or PRG.  Since
file type info is not preserved across FTP's (and I think Kermit makes
every download a SEQ file), you sometimes have to use a program to
translate SEQ to PRG type before you can use the dearchiver.

There are also at least 15 versions of Lynx out there, and they are not
necessarily compatible.

>The zip-unzip program seems to do its job; it separates out the files alright,
>but it seems to write a PROGRAM to the disk's DIRECTORY!  The files won't
>run once they have been unzipped.

You shouldn't confuse ZIP with a program of the same name on IBM
machines.  In fact, 'Zip-Code' is the name of the archiver we're talking
about here.

At any rate, when you un-zip a Zip-Coded archive, it creates an entire
disk of new files, erasing what was on the disk before.
--
begin 644 .signature
G5&AI<R!S<&%C92!I;G1E;G1I;VYA;&QY(&QE9G0@8FQA;FLN#0H:

end

neusoft@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (01/13/91)

In article <1991Jan12.104105.20050@evax.arl.utexas.edu>, cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) writes:

> Some Lynx's are sensitive to whether the files is SEQ or PRG.  Since
> file type info is not preserved across FTP's (and I think Kermit makes
> every download a SEQ file), you sometimes have to use a program to
> translate SEQ to PRG type before you can use the dearchiver.
>
> There are also at least 15 versions of Lynx out there, and they are not
> necessarily compatible.

I believe that Lynx 9 requires the files to be SEQ, not PRG.  Also, a much
better program is available called Ultimate Lynx (its available at Milton...I'm
sure I've seen it...).  This program will delynx any version of lynx up through
lynx 15, plus a couple of other 'odd ball' standards.  It will also work on any
drive (1541, 71, 81 and MSD).  This could be a possible problem as well, if
your using the standard lynx, you MUST delynx it on a 1541...it works with no
other drives.

>>The zip-unzip program seems to do its job; it separates out the files alright,
>>but it seems to write a PROGRAM to the disk's DIRECTORY!  The files won't
>>run once they have been unzipped.
>
> You shouldn't confuse ZIP with a program of the same name on IBM
> machines.  In fact, 'Zip-Code' is the name of the archiver we're talking
> about here.
>
> At any rate, when you un-zip a Zip-Coded archive, it creates an entire
> disk of new files, erasing what was on the disk before.

An important note is in order here:  ALWAYS unzip to a blank disk...NEVER to
the disk you downloaded the files onto.  Zip crunches an entire disk into
four files, and the unzip process takes those four files and recreates an exact
duplicate of the origonal, INCLUDING the directory structure.  If you unzip it
to your master disk, the origonal files will be lost after the second pass.
Also, you must be sure to obtain all four files (indicated as by a 1!, 2!, 3!,
and 4! in front of the file names.

XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET (01/13/91)

I stand corrected on the ZIP-CODE program name.  I apologize for any
confusion that may have been generated.

The problem still stands, however, and I have NOT been able to gt any
un-zip(coded) program to run.

On the other hand...thanks to Scott K. Steven for o pointing out an OBVIOUS
problem.  I read the instructions and STILL ditzed out on the Y/N "switch"
in LYNX IX.  Nonrtheless, several un-lynxed programs will not run.

I have converted some of these programs to PROGRAM files from SEQ files, and
still no go!  I have better success un-LYNXing things with the DISSOLVE
function in my OMEGA-Q utility program.

Any other things I should know about zip-code?

Thanks for the response!

XWUU@PURCCVM

gyrflcn@madnix.UUCP (Jason Gorst) (01/17/91)

From article <91011.222618XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET>, by XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET:
> I am having problems un-archiving some downloaded programs with:
>  1. LYNX V9, and
>  2. Zip-Unzip
(some stuff deleted)
> The lynx V9 program boots up, gives me a pretty screen and menu, allows me
> to choose the menu item, shows me a list of files that I may un-lynx, then
> recycles back to the main menu without performing ANy of the chosen operations.
>
> It just sits there.  It does not matter what operation I choose - lynx,
> un-lynx, disk operations, etc.  It just doesn't do anything.  I have not found
> any other LYNX flavor or variety at the FTP sites.

There are a number of versions of LYNX.  The ones I've seen most recently used
are Lynx v17.0 and occasionally Ultimate Lynx ][.  If Lynx 9 won't do it, try
v17 or one of the versions of Ultimate Lynx.

> The zip-unzip program seems to do its job; it separates out the files alright,
> but it seems to write a PROGRAM to the disk's DIRECTORY!  The files won't
> run once they have been unzipped.

On a C64, the ZIP program is used to transfer an entire disk.  It encodes the
disk byte by byte, and then in the unzip, writes to the disk byte by byte.  You
must use a fresh disk as the source for the unzip, as writing to the disk with
the 1!* through 4!* files will rewrite the source code.  I recommend using two
drives to unzip if possible, and using the Zip v2.0 that can both zip and unzip,
as it has fewer problems.

Hope some of this helps.  It may be a bit out of date, as it's been about a year
since I did a lot of program trading.

--
Jason Gorst   -my name   (|)"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what
Gyrfalcon     -my handle (|) can't be done, and why.  Then do it."