[comp.sys.cbm] 1750 REU problems

rferguso@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Robert S. Ferguson) (01/18/91)

I just got a 1750 Clone for Christmas.  I worked fine when I tried
it with Geos v1.3 on my parents C-128.  I also loaded the demos that
come with it, and they worked OK too.  But, when I took it to school
with me and tried it with Geos v2.0, it said there was no REU.  I tried
unplugging it and putting it back in, but that didn't make any difference.
So I tried the test programs that came with it.  The fast test on the
1750 disk said "testing..." and then it said "finished."  That didn't
help, so I tried the slow test.  It scrolled a bunch of data before the
screen suddenly went blank.  Next I tried the test on the 1764 disk.
Here is what that test said:

       256K Expansion Ram Test
Test    Pass/Fail    Dout    Din   Bnk/Addr

  3      Fail        55AA    FF    0   1000

(rest of test deleted)

I did try the REU with a nearby 64C, and it worked fine.  I think the
problem is in my 128.  Has anybody else had a problem like this?
Any suggestions as to what I should try next would be appreciated.

By the way, I don't really need the REU, but I would like to be able
to use it.
<boB<

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/18/91)

rferguso@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Robert S. Ferguson) writes:

>I did try the REU with a nearby 64C, and it worked fine.  I think the
>problem is in my 128.  Has anybody else had a problem like this?
>Any suggestions as to what I should try next would be appreciated.

I had problems similar to this with my 1750.  It started doing weird things
under GEOS, so I ran one of the tests that came with it on it, and sure
enough it failed.  It was still under warranty, so I took it into a service
center.  At the service center, I tried the REU on another 128- and it worked
fine.  Nothing we could do could get it to fail.  Indeed, it wouldn't always
fail on mine.  To get it to fail, I had to have a couple of disk drives, a
modem, a printer, and maybe even a joystick plugged in.  (I don't remember
exactly, but I did have to have other stuff plugged in.)  A replaceemnt
didn't fail, even with everything plugged in, so we concluded that the problem
was with the REU- but it was a borderline problem such that only some
machines would fail with it.

If your problem is similar, it's a combination of your 128 and your REU.  I
would recommend trying it out on another 128.  Is it still under warranty?
Does it have a warranty?  If so, it may be worth trying to get it replaced.
If it doesn't work, try removing your modem (etc.) before you turn on the 128
to boot up GEOS, or the test, or whatever.

Good luck!

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (01/18/91)

In article <9101180107.AA27760@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> rferguso@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Robert S. Ferguson) writes:

>I did try the REU with a nearby 64C, and it worked fine.  I think the
>problem is in my 128.  Has anybody else had a problem like this?
>Any suggestions as to what I should try next would be appreciated.

Did you say you're working with a 128 or a 64 at school?  Remember that
the 1750 requires a very LARGE amount of power to run that 512K of RAM.
A normal 64 power supply can't handle it.  If you are using a 128, the
power supply SHOULD be able to handle it, but there's always the
possibility of a bad power supply.

There's a related question.  Has anyone ever seen a 128 power supply go
bad?  64 supplies are notorious for going bad if you just look at them
funny, but I've never heard of a 128 supply going out.

--
begin 644 .signature
G5&AI<R!S<&%C92!I;G1E;G1I;VYA;&QY(&QE9G0@8FQA;FLN#0H:

end

rferguso@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Robert S. Ferguson) (01/18/91)

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I have a C-128 at school.
I just tried unplugging the modem and printer interface connection to
the datasette port.  The results were exactly the same as before.

On a side note, next week I'm getting a DOV unit.  (A DOV stands for
Data Over Voice, which means that I can talk to my school's computers
at 9600 baud without tying up my phone line.  I can't wait to see if
it will actually work.)

On a completely unrelated note, I recently discovered that none of my
posts were leaving my system.  Too bad it took me and entire semester
to notice that.  No wonder I have never gotten a response before!
Well, at least I have found a way to post now.
<boB<

--
 Where's the KA-BOOM?                           | Robert Ferguson
 There was supposed to be an enormous,          | rferguso@ecn.purdue.edu (or)