[comp.sys.cbm] .sfx Download problems

lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) (01/15/91)

I just download three GEOS files from milton:
dbrboot.sfx
debugpatch.sfx
geopginfo128.sfx

However, when I loaded and ran the self-dissolving files, the computer
returned "ALL DONE", but didn't actually do anything. Anyone have any
suggestions?

By the way, anyone know what archive program is needed is dissolve a
.lzh file?

:)

if18@vlsi.polymtl.ca (01/17/91)

>In article <Jan.15.00.19.43.1991.15140@remus.rutgers.edu> lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) writes:
>However, when I loaded and ran the self-dissolving files, the computer
>returned "ALL DONE", but didn't actually do anything. Anyone have any
>suggestions?

The same thing happened to me yesterday with 3 files that I downloaded
from the Milton site (db128rboot.sfx, debugpatch.sfx and geopg128info.sfx).
I didn't use any fast-loaders or wedges. I only had my REU plugged in (It
always worked before).

There's probably something wrong with the files because I tried a fourth
.sfx file afterwards (without even turning off the computer nor resetting it)
and it worked fine.

Can someone else (other than Lyle) confirm these problems ?

TO THE AUTHORS OF THE PROGRAMS: Please download them and try them out. If
there really is a problem, either upload a working version or send me
an uuencoded file.

Thank you.

--

   Miguel Pedro
   Send mail to if18@info.polymtl.ca (NOT @vlsi.polymtl.ca !!!)

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (01/18/91)

This is all very strange about .SFX file problems.  When I created an
.SFX file to send to someone over the net, after it was created, I then
loaded it up and dissolved it in 64 and 128 mode to see if it was
working properly.  (By the way, this is something everyone should do
when they make any sort of ARC, Lynx, or whatever file -- Test it to see
if it dissolves correctly!)  Anyway, the file DID work correctly, and
the program ran just fine.

So, I uuencoded the file and mailed it off to him.  When he decoded it
and tried it out, it exhibited just the behavior you have been
describing here, saying 'ALL DONE' without doing anything.

I didn't know what the problem was, so I just took the same binary
files, encoded them again, and mailed them again.  Then when he tried it
out, it worked just fine for him.  This is not a good sign.  What could
have gone wrong?  Why did it go right again when I sent it out the
second time?  I did NOT re-make the .SFX file!

--
begin 644 .signature
G5&AI<R!S<&%C92!I;G1E;G1I;VYA;&QY(&QE9G0@8FQA;FLN#0H:

end

randy@athena.mit.edu (Randall W Winchester) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan18.055011.171@evax.arl.utexas.edu>
cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) writes:

>This is all very strange about .SFX file problems.  When I created an
>.SFX file to send to someone over the net, after it was created, I then
>loaded it up and dissolved it in 64 and 128 mode to see if it was
>working properly.  (By the way, this is something everyone should do
>when they make any sort of ARC, Lynx, or whatever file -- Test it to see
>if it dissolves correctly!)  Anyway, the file DID work correctly, and
>the program ran just fine.
>
>So, I uuencoded the file and mailed it off to him.  When he decoded it
>and tried it out, it exhibited just the behavior you have been
>describing here, saying 'ALL DONE' without doing anything.
>
>I didn't know what the problem was, so I just took the same binary
>files, encoded them again, and mailed them again.  Then when he tried it
>out, it worked just fine for him.  This is not a good sign.  What could
>have gone wrong?  Why did it go right again when I sent it out the
>second time?  I did NOT re-make the .SFX file!

Just one idea: did you save the SFX after running it?  The
documentation specifically says not to do this.  SFX files relocate
themselves when they are run, which enables them to run on both the 64
and 128.  Saving an SFX after running it, then trying to run it again
can cause the results you've described.  I've uploaded a few SFX files
to Milton, and they've all worked just fine.

*  Randy Winchester  *  randy@mit.edu  *  PO Box 1074, Cambridge, MA  02142   *

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (01/19/91)

In article <1991Jan18.143431.25543@athena.mit.edu> randy@mit.edu (Randall W Winchester) writes:
>Just one idea: did you save the SFX after running it?

Nope.  The file that I uuencoded both times was the exact same binary
file.