[comp.sys.cbm] C128 + 1764?

bobh@zaphod.UUCP (Bob Harvey) (01/22/91)

I just purchased a 1764 REU and it works just fine with my old C64 and
GEOS 2.0.  However, I bought a second-hand C128 a while back and I'd like
to use it instead (primarily in C64 mode with GEOS) because I prefer the
keyboard.  The only thing that concerns me is the line on page 3 of the
1764 User's Guide that says "Remember the 1764 was designed only for the 64
and can NOT be used with the Commodore 128."

I'm sure I've seen somewhere either here on the Net or in Transactor magazine
tales of people using a 1764 with a 128.  Is the warning in the User's Guide
for electrical reasons or is it just that the 1764 won't work in C128 mode?
(Or is it just a plot to sell more REU's?! |-)

Since I'm confident there are several kind souls out there with the answer
to my query, I'll say "Thanks!!" in advance.
--
          R. M. (Bob) Harvey, Corporate Computer Systems Administrator
       Develcon Electronics, 856-51 St. E, Saskatoon, SK. Canada, S7K 5C7

bhelf@athena.mit.edu (Bill Helfinstine) (01/23/91)

In article <4104@zaphod.UUCP> bobh@zaphod.UUCP (Bob Harvey) writes:
>The only thing that concerns me is the line on page 3 of the
>1764 User's Guide that says "Remember the 1764 was designed only for the 64
>and can NOT be used with the Commodore 128."

>Is the warning in the User's Guide
>for electrical reasons or is it just that the 1764 won't work in C128 mode?
>(Or is it just a plot to sell more REU's?! |-)

That's answer (c).

The only difference between the 1700, 1750, and 1764 is the amounts of memory
they contain.  The only reason that you couldn't use a 1750 on a C-64 is the
power supply.  The 1764 comes (came?) with a bigger power supply for the 64,
so 128 users would be buying a useless hunk of metal and plastic, since it
wouldn't even match the power plug on a 128, much less be necessary.  As you
have also read, probably, you can upgrade a 1764 to 512K, which is what I did
and I am using it on my 128 with no problems.

Bill Helfinstine
bhelf@athena.mit.edu

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (01/25/91)

 >From: bhelf@athena.mit.edu (Bill Helfinstine)

 >The only reason that you couldn't use a 1750 on a C-64 is the
 >power supply.

   That's not quite true: the 1750 won't work on all C64s; the 1764 includes a
small change to affect the bus timing.  However, from a programming point of
view, a 1764 is just a 1750 with 256K missing.  Even the REU ID bit (0 for the
128K 1700 and 1 for the 512K 1750) reads 1 on a 1764 (which is why you should
test manually for the amount of RAM in an REU in stead of trusting the ID bit
<sigh>)

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Molson 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!