[comp.sys.cbm] debugger2.0

lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) (01/23/91)

  I recently installed Debugger 2.0 on my geoProgrammer disk. Thank
you to the people who made it available on milton.

  It works great (although I would have liked it to default to a
BACKRAM SuperDebugger rather than using the REU so that the rboot
ability isn't destroyed--I keep forgetting to hold the space bar). The
documentation file is VERY long, but informative. Its more a technical
guide, although it does briefly discuss the new comands. By the way,
it is called "The Hitchhiker's Guide to GeoProgrammer" -- is this the
one that people were asking about, or is there a "Hitchhiker's Guide
to GEOS"?

  Anyway, my question is this:  I wanted to test the debugger with a
small, incomplete program that I wrote, however, when I opened the
file, the debugger did not load in the .sym file that was produced by
the linker. I haven't relinked it lately, but that shouldn't be a
problem, the linker is the same. How can I get the debugger to load
that symbol file?
:)

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/24/91)

lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) writes:
>  It works great (although I would have liked it to default to a
>BACKRAM SuperDebugger rather than using the REU so that the rboot
>ability isn't destroyed--I keep forgetting to hold the space bar).

If I become ambitious, I may try to write a patch to do this.  If somebody
else beats me to it, well, that won't kill me either....

>The documentation file is VERY long, but informative. Its more a technical
>guide, although it does briefly discuss the new comands. By the way,
>it is called "The Hitchhiker's Guide to GeoProgrammer" -- is this the
>one that people were asking about, or is there a "Hitchhiker's Guide
>to GEOS"?

This is distinct from the "Hitchhiker's Guide to GEOS," and it's name is
probably a reference to that. The HHG2G contains a few informative chapters
about GEOS programming (including some 128 info), then has alphabetical
descriptions of all Kernal routies.  There are a few described that don't
appear in the PRG (e.g. FetchRAM and StashRAM), and I find the descriptions
much more reliable than those in the PRG (there are also fewer typos, even
though the HHG2G in the form where work on it stopped is still a rough
draft!).

>  Anyway, my question is this:  I wanted to test the debugger with a
>small, incomplete program that I wrote, however, when I opened the
>file, the debugger did not load in the .sym file that was produced by
>the linker. I haven't relinked it lately, but that shouldn't be a
>problem, the linker is the same. How can I get the debugger to load
>that symbol file?

Is it a .sym file or a .dbg file?  What does the icon look like: two crashing
musical symbols, or a hand reaching for the debugger spray can?  If its
the former, the debugger isn't supposed to load it- that is a geoWrite file
produced for the benefit of the progammer.  If it's the latter, rename it
to .dbg, and the debugger may be able to find it.

-Rob
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Mark Ford) (01/24/91)

From article <1991Jan23.174325.2131@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, by rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop):

> This is distinct from the "Hitchhiker's Guide to GEOS," and it's name is

Where can I get the Hitchhiker's Guide to GEOS?  I know there must be more
to the C-128 Geos Kernal and I would like to know what is there.  Are
there any other sources of information on programming in GEOS 128?

Thanks.
Mark.
mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/25/91)

mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Mark Ford) writes:
>Where can I get the Hitchhiker's Guide to GEOS?  I know there must be more
>to the C-128 Geos Kernal and I would like to know what is there.  Are
>there any other sources of information on programming in GEOS 128?

You can get the Hitchhiker's Guide to GEOS by sending BSW $25 with a request
for it.  Unfortunately, I don't have the address on me, but I would imagine
it is the same place as you would would write for software upgrades.  The
Guide contains some 128 info, but unfortunately doesn't have something as
simple as a memory map.  It has a description of what changes need be made
to be able to consistently access both the 40 and 80 column screens, and
the alphabetical descriptions of routines contain a little embedded 128
info, as well as the alphabetical list of system variables.

One short but excellent source of GEOS128 programming info is the set of
geoWrite files found in the archive "gp128info.sfx", or something like that,
which is right now in the c64current directory at milton.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

alex.burger@canrem.uucp (alex burger) (01/27/91)

-> It works great (although I would have liked it to default to a
-> BACKRAM SuperDebugger rather than using the REU so that the rboot
-> ability isn't destroyed--I keep forgetting to hold the space bar).

There is a patch on Qlink that will make geoDebugger2.0 DEFAULT to the
BackRAM SuperDebugger.  It was uploaded recently.

-> Anyway, my question is this:  I wanted to test the debugger with a
-> small, incomplete program that I wrote, however, when I opened the
-> file, the debugger did not load in the .sym file that was produced by
-> the linker. I haven't relinked it lately, but that shouldn't be a
-> problem, the linker is the same. How can I get the debugger to load
-> that symbol file?

When you 'load' your file in geoDebugger, it looks for the .DBG file,
not the .SYM.  If the name of your program is 'Lyle', then geoDebugger
will look for a file called 'Lyle.dbg'.  This .DBG file is created when
you link your files together.

Another way to load up the file with the symbols is to double click the
.DBG file.

Alex Burger
--
Canada Remote Systems.  Toronto, Ontario
NorthAmeriNet Host