[comp.sys.cbm] looking for serial cable

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) (01/25/91)

Is there a major store or some mail order place where I can buy an extra
serial cable (the one that goes from the 64 to the 1541) ??  Mine broke
recently, and I haven't been able to find one anywhere.  The nearest
Commodore dealers are too far away.

Nick Rossi, '93     | "That's nasty, Wyatt..."
Harvey Mudd College | "That's Chet, Gary!"

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/25/91)

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) writes:
>Is there a major store or some mail order place where I can buy an extra
>serial cable (the one that goes from the 64 to the 1541) ??

One place that may well have something like this are Commodore Service
Centers.  I think they tend to collect old dead systems (for "parts"),
so may have a couple of extra serial cables sitting around.  I know that is
where I got a couple stepper motor screws for my 1541 when the heads got
all cheesed up by fighting with the enamel with my screwdriver.  Check
a recent list of service centers to see if there is one near you, or maybe
call one of those national send-away service centers that advertise in RUN
and the like.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu
USED to be rknop@jarthur.Claremont.EDU, but no more

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/25/91)

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) writes:
>Is there a major store or some mail order place where I can buy an extra
>serial cable (the one that goes from the 64 to the 1541) ??

I just saw a CMD add in the Gazette section of Compute, and sure enough, CMD
advertises '30" high quality serial cables' for $3.95 + $1 S/H.  The number
to order is 800-638-3263.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

CMWOLF@MTUS5.BITNET (01/25/91)

Ok, on the same subject....where can I buy an extension serial cable for
my C64?  I'd either need a long (i have a 6 foot one from Sears, too
damn short) one about 10 feet, or a cable with a male on one end and
a female on the other.

CMWOLF@MTUS5.BITNET (01/28/91)

Ah!! I found some address for Commodore equipment (supposedly).  Tell
us how it turns out if you call.

Commodore Specific:

     Delta Computing Technologies    1-800-227-4051   Hardware only
     Kasara Microsystems             1-800-248-2983   Hardware
     Tennex Computer Express         1-800-776-6781   Hardware and Software
     Software Support International  1-800-356-1179   Hardware and Software
     BRE Software                    1-800-347-6760   Software Only
     PD Select
       4535 Merrywood Lane, Gastonia, NC 28052        Public Domain Software

General Hardware:
     MEI/Micro Center                1-800-634-3478   Accessories (disks,
       printer paper & ribbons, printer stands, disk cases, etc., etc.)

     Jameco Electronics              (415)-592-8097
       1355 Shoreway Road, Belmont, CA 94002
        $50.00 minimum order.  Good for chips and knick knacks.