[comp.sys.cbm] C=128 VT100 emulator

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/20/91)

chrisi@spock.usc.edu (Chris Irwin) writes:
>Is there a better term ot for the 128
>now or a more recent version of Bob's that has a good vt100 emulation?
>If so, could someone please send me a copy?

The two favorites are "Kermit2.2" and "Desterm2.0", both of which are
available at the milton ftp site.  The latter is the best terminal program
available for the C128, I would wager, but the former offers the Kermit
transfer protocol, and limited TEK-4010 support.  I use the latter usually,
with the former when I need to transfer files or (rarely) plot graphics.

Of course, you probably got 100 letters saying exactly this same thing!

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

chrisi@spock.usc.edu (Chris Irwin) (01/22/91)

Thanks for all of your replies regarding a vt100 term program.  The
overwhelming choice seems to be Desterm 2.0.  I got this from milton
and extracted everything but can't get the sucker to run -- I get the
title screen and then it resets my machine.  Has anyone else
experienced a similar problem?  I did this (took it from milton,
extracted, booted, etc) twice and got the same result each time.  I
still have the original C=128 chips (I recall that there were upgrades
or something around several years ago), could that have something to
do with it?

Chris
--
/"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""\
|     _____                        | Protect YOUR Second  |  _   /|           |

Matthew.Desmond@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Matthew Desmond) (01/23/91)

Chris:

Most of the trouble that people have with DesTerm is due to funny
hardware combinations:

If you have IEEE devices or non-serial harddrives, then don't try
to use them -- they won't work.  This *has hopfully* been fixed for
the next version, but my testers haven't got back to me yet.

If you have a GEORam or Stereo SID cartridge -- unplug it!  Again,
the next DesTerm will work with them installed (I refuse to support
GEORam simply because it is prefixed by the three letters GEO...)

If neither of these problems is not the cause, then ensure the
correctness of the files with the CRC CHECK program...

If this still raises no answers, please leave me more info...

Matthew E. Desmond, Author of DesTerm 128

--
Matthew Desmond - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Matthew.Desmond

hinkle@acsu.buffalo.edu (steven j hinkle) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan21.161536.23959@evax.arl.utexas.edu> cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) writes:

>The best VT100 emulation comes from a program by Fred Bowen called
>VT100/128 v2.1.
>It is the best there is, IMO, because it transforms the 128 keypad into
>a real keypad just like a real VT100, so using EDT, et al, is a breeze.

      I disagree with this.  I am not going to promote my favorite
but I don't think vt100/128 is a very good program.  I got it when
I got my modem and it didn't work very well.

>The only problem I've had is that I can't get the Xmodem to work
>properly.  I haven't needed it yet, though.

     this is a big problem with this program.  Xmodem never works.  It
will act like it is working but two hours later you still don't have
anything.

>The program works even better if you use George Hug's RS232 patch to
>allow 1200 or 2400 CBAT.

      I never saw a pacth to allow 2400 baud with this.  I could do 1200
but then I am under using my modem.

--
|  Steven Hinkle   "The Quaker"       |  Always look on the bright side.|
|  University of Buffalo              |  If there isn't one, check the  |

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (01/23/91)

In article <55400@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> hinkle@acsu.buffalo.edu (steven j hinkle) writes:
>In article <1991Jan21.161536.23959@evax.arl.utexas.edu> cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) writes:
>>
>>The best VT100 emulation comes from a program by Fred Bowen called
>>VT100/128 v2.1.
>>It is the best there is, IMO, because it transforms the 128 keypad into
>>a real keypad just like a real VT100, so using EDT, et al, is a breeze.
>
>      I disagree with this.  I am not going to promote my favorite
>but I don't think vt100/128 is a very good program.  I got it when
>I got my modem and it didn't work very well.

Aha!  If you got it with your modem, you are probably NOT using version
2.1, but the original program by Joe O'Hara, which was, alas, not a very
good program at all.  Version 2.1 improves tremendously on the program,
and is basically, in Fred Bowen's words, "a rewrite of several parts of
the program."

>>The only problem I've had is that I can't get the Xmodem to work
>>properly.  I haven't needed it yet, though.
>
>     this is a big problem with this program.  Xmodem never works.  It
>will act like it is working but two hours later you still don't have
>anything.

This may be due to version number differences, again.  However, I never
use Xmodem, because I am always calling over a 7E1 line, which makes
Xmodem useless.

>      I never saw a pacth to allow 2400 baud with this.  I could do 1200
>but then I am under using my modem.

I typed in the patch from the issue of Transactor that it appeared in.

I believe what I will do is ARC this stuff together and post the latest
version of VT100/128 at the Milton site, and then let you decide again.

Can you tell that I hate to see one of my favorite programs trashed?  :)
--
begin 644 .signature
G5&AI<R!S<&%C92!I;G1E;G1I;VYA;&QY(&QE9G0@8FQA;FLN#0H:

end

digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mike Digdon) (01/23/91)

The best VT100 emulator for the 128 can be found (I think anyway) in Desterm
2.00. It is actually a vt102 emulator that can do 101 and 100... very nice
indeed..

	+   Mike Digdon: digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca  + My 64 can still get the +
	+		 mike@ac.dal.ca	      + job at hand completed!! +

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/26/91)

Matthew.Desmond@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Matthew Desmond) writes:
>(I refuse to support
>GEORam simply because it is prefixed by the three letters GEO...)

Whew... this sounds like it's along the lines of my kneejerk instinctive
reaction when I see something prefixed with the letters "Mac".

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

(I like GEO though)

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (01/27/91)

In a letter to All, Robert Andrew Knop (rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu ) wrote:

 >Matthew.Desmond@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Matthew
 >Desmond) writes:
>(I refuse to support
>GEORam simply because it is prefixed by the three letters GEO...)

 >Whew... this sounds like it's along the lines of my kneejerk
 >instinctive
 >reaction when I see something prefixed with the letters "Mac".

   Rather than get too seriously upset over what Matt said, you should take
into consideration the cost (in both cash and time, not to mention code space)
of acquiring and supporting every bleedin' flavour of third-party device.

   If a hardware supplier wishes their products to be supported, it behooves
them to make sure that software developers can get hold of one at low cost and
can get *high* tech support.

   So far, only Dr. Evil Labs, Hatronics, and (to a lesser degree) CMD have
stooped to 'help' Matt (which resulted in substantial improvements to the
design of the SwiftLink and HART).

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Molson 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/29/91)

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:

> >Whew... this sounds like it's along the lines of my kneejerk
> >instinctive
> >reaction when I see something prefixed with the letters "Mac".

>   Rather than get too seriously upset over what Matt said, you should take
>into consideration the cost...

I wasn't at all upset... what I said, I meant in a jocular tone.  I guess
I should have included a smiley. :)

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybatl.caltech.edu